Shovel Ready

Chilcotin v Endorphin

I have a Chilcotin and just don't ride enough hard core tech. I'm thinking of moving my parts over to a Endorphin. First off I am a heavy rider at 280 and aslo would run a 160 which seems fine to do on the Knolly website. I looking for a lighter bike for longer pedal rides and handle mid level tech. For you AZ guys I mostly ride over at PMP on VOAZ and such but have never ridden Hairball. I ride National twice a year and walk a few of the more tech sections. I aslo like trails like Lost Dog and the OLD Jeep trail.

mtbr member
    Go for it. The Endo is such a fun bike. Still loving mine after a solid year of riding.

My buddy just built up an Endo with a 160 Pike. No worries.

If there wasn't all this hype around 27.5, the Endo would be at the top of the list of 140mm trail/AM bikes.

mtbr member
    Cycle,

Have you ridden the Chilcotin in the slack setting? If you can live with the bottom bracket at that height or lower, then the Endorphin could work for you. My Endorphin 150 36 feels like it has a lower bb than my Chilcotin at 160 36 in slack mode.

With a 160mm fork and heavy build, the Endorphin starts to feel like the Chilcotin. The Endo really works best with a 27 to 31lb build and a 150 fork. I am 200 plus with gear and there are times I feel like I am pushing the Endorphin to the edges of it's territory.

Reality is, when I am out on the trail on the Chilcotin, I cannot say I have ever wished to be on the Endorphin. (the fact that it is a 160mm travel 35 pound bike does not cross my mind, even on big climbs) However, there are times that I have wished I was on the Chilcotin while riding the Endorphin...

The warped part of the previous statement....the Endorphin is my favorite of the two.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't have any time on an endo but I had the same feelings as you. My solution was to lighten my chilcotin into the 29lb range. Coming from about a 33lb build previously, the bike feels like a different animal now but still handles the gnar.

Ow!
    finch, How did you lighten your chilcotin? I bought a used a few weeks ago, and am just starting to build it. I usually go heavy on my bikes, but would be interested in what components you switched out to lighten it.

Shovel Ready
    I'm thinking the same thing. I can swap out my SLX cranks, bar and maybe lace my Hadley's up to some light bicycle carbons. But that is really only going to get me 2 or 3 pounds at the most. Already running the CCDB-A and not going to give up my Hope Mono M4's. Run tubeless now with Maxxis TRL DHF and HR II.

Thinking I'll just live with want I have maybe make some of the changes listed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I dont even have a crazy light build on my bike. I could easily go lighter but I think I would sacrifice durability and performance.
    Build as follows:
    LG frame
    Pike fork
    Fox CTD avalanche tuned shock
    hope pro 2 hubs laced to wtb i23
    Spec butcher control front tire tubeless
    Spec Purgatory control Rear tubeless
    Saint brakes front and rear
    Raceface Next sl cranks with 30t direct mount ring
    sram x9 10sp cassette
    Shimano ZEE rear shifter
    Specialized command post blacklite dropper post
    specialized saddle
    Raceface Sixc bars
    Transition temple light stem
    XT trail pedals or Deity flats

I could easily take another pound off maybe even two but I'm happy with it at just under 30lbs. (29.6?)