Roll on Spring Time!

Chilcotin tire updates

I am about to move parts over from my Delirium to a new Chilli frame. My hope to is to drop a little weight but there are not that many places I can save weight without doing a lot of part changing for new and money spending on items like carbon. My main plan is to try drop a little weight on the wheels and look for faster rolling rubber. I feel that faster rolling rubber is where I am going to benefit the most. I am currently on the trusty 721 front with exo Minion ST setup Ghetto and a Nukeproof(MTX 29) rear with Exo Minion 60A(no longer ghetto due to a tire gash). This setup is bomb proof for pretty much everything I ride and covers alot of changes in soil conditions. My main gripe is the climbing - I am trying to start longer rides again instead of just hitting the DH lines and doing alot of pushing up.
    Idealy I would like to build up a lighter second wheel set but I am not sure if I can wait for this to happen before I try new treads. I have read the current threads for Schwalbe HD, Conti Rubber Queens and now the new One on offering. I have mixed feeling for Schwalbe tires with only MM up front as a thumbs up for me - everything else gets ripped apart real quick. Nothing lasts long out back and most of the up front lose side knobs when cornering hard. I havent tried anything from Continental and it seems the Rubber queen in UST 2.2" is the only real option - not in stock at CRC. The Chunky Monkeys are also not much of an option for me to order. I am still out in Korea and CRC is the best option for online ordering.
    I can wait for the Rubber Queen to come back in stock to run as a rear tire but this leaves me with a limited front tire choice unless I continue with the trusty Minion. I could possibley look at a HR 2 but I wouldnt trust this setup tubeless unless I run a BMX tube.
    What has caught my eye is the WTB Vigilante for the front and rear or possibly a Bronson rear with Vigilante front. I cant find many reviews - I was hoping someone could chime in or point me in the dirrection of some other possible options.
    Does the HR 2 roll fast enough to run up front to at least consider this - even if I have to run a BMX tube?
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I havent tried a lot of tires (so take this review with a grain of salt) but my favorite rear tire so far is a Spec Ground Control UST Grid. I had fantastic results with this tire running it tubeless. Front is pretty subjective, I had a butcher SX and loved it, now on a HD and seems to be holding up.

The GC lasted 7 months on the rear, no flats or sidewall tears (riding 4-5 times a week, including bike park). It rolled fairly fast but offered great traction. It was "heavier" than some other options but ill take the weight for the peace of mind it gave me knowing I could finish out a full ride and get back to the car, even after 7 months of hard riding on it. My nobby nic pacestar has about 3 weeks on it and I question its life everyday.

I personally look for UST specific on the rear because they tend to have burlier sidewalls. YMMV

mtbr member

My New Chilcotin Tires of Choice...

I recently swapped out EXO DHF 2.5 Minions for Conti tires. I first mounted 2.4 Mountain King II's front and back tubeless; easy setup... no issues. I liked the way the tires handled but even with the Protection sidewall, the tires were no match for SoCal chunk. I had two sidewall tears in the first two weeks.

I replaced the MKII's with Conti Trail King 2.4 Black Chili up front and Baron 2.3 Black Chili in the back. I'm very pleased with the new setup. Both tires are again setup tubeless on Flow's... no problem with the Trail King; the Baron took almost a day to seal the sidewalls. I'm running 26 psi up front and 30 psi in the back. Both tires are a little heavier with beefier sidewalls. So far no problems with this setup. Spent the weekend at Big Bear and this tire combo was a perfect match for the new Snow Summit trails as well as the new Skyline XC trail.

The Trail Kings are currently on sale... here's the link:

Continental Trail King 26" Tires - Outside Outfitters

Baron APEX 2.3 on sale as well:

Continental Baron 26" Tires - Outside Outfitters

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    jp..... for rims, look at the enduro mavic, en521,, thats what col and i run on our knollys, ( hope pro 2 hub with en521 rim)
    tyres we are running conti rubber queens, but knob head me got the wrong ones lol. i orderd the 2.2 racesport these are super light, lol and very soft, but the grip impressed us, i would say look at the 2.2 rubber queen but get the protection one, it's only arround 80g heavier and has stiffer sidewall, thats what i should have got,
    look on bikediscount.de they are cheap as, i got our for 28 quid per tyre, the protector are 32 quid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    oooooooops forgot to say if your after light wheels superstar have just recently launched a cheapish light carbon fibre wheel,

not sure if these are what your looking for, just thought id bring them to your attention.

Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

mtbr member
    ive got a 2.4 ardent rear and 2.4 big betty front...great combo.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Roll on Spring Time!
    For rims I would love to get my mitts on flow ex's but I can only find regular flows - both in & Korea and from CRC.
    CRC doesn't stock Specialized anything which is crap because the reviews of their tires are consistently pretty great.
    I was thinking of a Minion or HR 2 exo front with a Ardent exo rear but of course CRC doesn't have the Ardent exo in stock.
    I know we always try get our answers from other riders but the only way to really find out is to try ourselves. Terrain, trail conditions and rider style make such a huge difference. I am accepting the fact that I will need to find my own personal favourite but tires are so expensive that it helps to get as close as possible first time round. I am riding harder and faster than ever and finally pinning it through flats turns, it's hard to consider switching tires when I trust what I have right now. I just need to find something that will roll better but not give up too much through the turns. I have no issue with my rear getting lose but I put a lot of faith in my front holding up.
    I really like the sound of the WTB Vigilante and it looks a little like a Muddy Mary pattern to me. I like square knobs and even had great success with Swampthings a couple of years back - one of the few ties that could find grip one hard clay in the wet but not squirm. I am very interested in the Rubber Queen 2.2" UST for the rear. Reports of running the 2.4" up front are mixed as for runining a Baron out back, I thought it would make a better front with its more agressive side knobs. I was actualy considering a 2.3" Baron up front with a 2.2" Rubber Queen in the back, my concern was the Baron wouldn'nt roll much faster than the Minion therefore not be a worthwhile change out. The HD doesn't get great reviews for a rear and doesn't sound like it rolls fast enough to make it an option - sounds like money down the drain.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    jp,,,, im no tyre expert, all i can say is from experiance, i am running 2.3 baron black chillis on my podium, col had minnions, 2.5 on his soda, and spesh butchers on his demo, the contis roll faster than both of them mate, both in the bike park and on the tarmac trails when riding home,

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=tmpaints;10575702]I recently swapped out EXO DHF 2.5 Minions for Conti tires. I first mounted 2.4 Mountain King II's front and back tubeless; easy setup... no issues. I liked the way the tires handled but even with the Protection sidewall, the tires were no match for SoCal chunk. I had two sidewall tears in the first two weeks.

I have a 3c exo dhf that is basically a 60a tire that was horrendous on the front in wet conditions. Using a 42a now and it works great.

Were you using a dhf on the rear of the bike as well? What was the feel?

I'm thinking of using it dhf 3c exo on the rear as my hr2 wears out.

Thanks.

Yebo Numzaan
    That is all i have run on my VTach, Delerium, Chilly for as long as i can remember. I have experimented here and there and always come back to that. In fact, I strayed again recently and last night i was back to the 2.5 EXO DHF front and rear. I managed to mount the rear tubeless (by adding a layer of gorilla tape on top of my rim tape) and it held air perfect. These trails are brutal on wheels / rims (and bikes) and I ran it at 36psi with no problem.

I know Juan Pablo....is thinking in the back of his head...that he will probably end up back on the DHF after a little experimenting to save a gram or a minute
    I support EMBA

Yebo Numzaan
    Ardent...very effective at picking up small stones and flinging them at me. I am a Maxxis fan...so I presume its a good tire, just didnt work for me (a long time back).

Its dry,hard and sandy in places out here in seattle now. I am running a Larsen TT tubeless on the Endo now. Digging the high volume and low rolling resistance. Corners great as long as you push into the corners....tentative doesnt work.
    I support EMBA

Roll on Spring Time!
    Well pretty much back to the drawing board. Dont know how I missed it the first couple of times but the price on the Vigilante is crazy, like 20% over a Maxxis. For a tire with no reviews I feel its a hard pill to swallow just to try something new.
    Looks like CRC will get the Rubber Queen in 2.2 UST towards the end of the month. I may try this with a Baron. The BC compound gets excellent reviews for both durability and grip. At the moment I am working month on month off and when working I am trying to get fitness levels up by riding to work and home - (15 miles each way). The ride involves 70% tarmac. I know the OG High Rollers wore out fast and I am concerned the tarmac will kill this tire out back - CRC only has the 3C version and I prefer 60A as a rear. The 3C will die fast I am sure.
    The local shop doesnt carry much but des have Schawlbes. So tempting to try a HD front and NN rear but I just cant do it(:
    In my month off I try hit the trail I built a couple of years back. Pure forest dirt that varies so much depending on moisture. If I dont have treads that can handle this dirt I need to have a second wheelset.
    At the moment I am on the band wagon of Enduro but think of it more as getting back to my roots - now it has a label. Essentialy I am looking to run only the Chilli with a light but strong build, use the skills I have learnt from DH/FR over the past few years but start including milage into the same rides. This is what I am currently doing on the Delirium and I am digging it.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    jp... appologies if this isnt what you were looking for,,, but merlin cycles are listing ztr flow ex rims in stock as part of their custom build choice, they ship international to, and prices are reasonable, they have a good reputation for their wheel builds to, they built the rims on my dt back in 09, front rim still going strong today, rear rim i had rebuilt on a tougher rim, as i kept casing jumps in the bikepark lol. poor technique and lack of skill on my part rather than wheel s fault, lol...

Front Handbuilt Hope Wheels - 26" - Disc | Custom Wheels - Disc | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    again appologies if these not the rims you wanted,,,
    just found these on bikes discountde, if you got these you could also get your tyres mega cheap and would also get free postage, im sure they ship international, and are way cheaper than crc,
    NoTubes ZTR Flow EX/ Shimano XT 26" Laufradsatz schwarz

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the EXO Minion on the front. I am waiting for these to come out for the rear.

Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Roll on Spring Time!
    Delirian, , thanks for the links. I will defo check them out. I ordered from Merlin many years ago when I was based in the UK. I had no issues with their quality or service. I would really like to try the flow ex if possible.
    Last edited by juan pablo; 08-05-2013 at 03:35 AM.
    I just want to ride.

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    I'm a fan of the EXO Minion on the front. I am waiting for these to come out for the rear.

Ace! Sign me up
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had tubless minions and put way too many holes in them. Others I have talked to had the same problem. Recently switched to a Butcher SX in the front and a Clutch SX in the back and had not problems. I like the grip and hold in the corners on the new tires better than the minions. I would not go back to minions at this point and I had rubber kings/queens previously but they do not hold corners well. The Butcher and Clutch really grab and cut their teeth to hold you in at speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love my Hans Dampfs but their side knobs are indeed a little dainty, and get chewed up on DH stuff - mind you, I've got a dozen Whistler days on a HD front on my DH bike and it's still (barely) alive. I am probably going to jump on the Magic Mary when I see them hit the local shelves.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker