mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Chilcotin sizing...Im 5'10"

Hello forum people! I am currently looking into purchasing a Chilcotin, and am wondering about sizing. I am 5'10" with long legs and short torso. I currently ride a Large Mojo HD and run a 50mm stem and think it fits great. Upon looking at sizing and geometry on the Knolly site, it seems I would be a medium on the Chili. But that seat tube seems awful short and the pics of mediums look pretty small. Any riders out there about my size have any input? Unfortunately I have to drive 4 hours to demo a Medium...
    Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    You could go either way depending on what you like in cockpit fit and what type of riding you'll be doing mostly. I'm 5'11.5" and went with the large but I wasn't really that cramped on a Medium when I rode it on a pretty good ride while demoing bikes. In fact for tight, twisty, BC North Shore type downs I think actually preferred it in many ways. On the long fireroad climb we did to start that ride (Seven Switchbacks on Mt. Fromme) it definitely felt a bit cramped. With your long legs, massive amounts of exposed seat post may be an issue.

Most of my riding is more long, fairly steep, seated climbs followed fast, more open, swoopy, steep downs. For this I prefer the longer WB, and more stretched out cockpit. But I run a 70 stem and perhaps with a 35-50mm stem, which most people prefer these days, you might be fine on a large......though I suspect most will recommend the medium for you.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the published tt length for the Chilcotin is a virutal/effective measurement which means if you actually measure it using the standard method you'll get something less than the published number. This is due to the fact that the seat tube connects to downtube well in front of the bb. There's a primer on the subject posted by Noel or Dusty Bottoms around here somewhere.
    So, for bike to bike comparisons, it may not be as long as it seems just comparing numbers.

FWIW, I've ridden a Mojo HD too and the large fit me pretty well.

mtbr member
    I agree.you can go either way. I have both medium & large. I think it may ultimately depend on your type of riding & the build goal.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I'm 5' 11" with short legs and a long torso. I went with a large and its perfect. If you're longer in the legs, you would have plenty of stand over with the large, and if you felt that the cockpit was too long, you could always go with a 35mm stem. I don't think you would have any issues on a medium either though--you should be good with either.

mr. wonderful

Chilcotin sizing...Im 5'10"

Where leg length and torso length get more airplay, arm length is also a factor. With long legs, I presume you have long arms too. I'm 5-11-1/2 with very long legs and arms. I ride a large as a medium feels very short, and with a lot of post out a medium feels very unsettling. Hard to say, but I bet you at 5-10 on a medium would not be too far off me on a large. Hard sayin' not seein'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown View Post
    Hello forum people! I am currently looking into purchasing a Chilcotin, and am wondering about sizing. I am 5'10" with long legs and short torso. I currently ride a Large Mojo HD and run a 50mm stem and think it fits great. Upon looking at sizing and geometry on the Knolly site, it seems I would be a medium on the Chili. But that seat tube seems awful short and the pics of mediums look pretty small. Any riders out there about my size have any input? Unfortunately I have to drive 4 hours to demo a Medium...
    Thanks so much!
    What is your cycling inseam?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    What is your cycling inseam?
    Exactly. Keep in mind how much actual post you'd have showing at max height.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    im 510. so is col,,, all our bikes are medium,,, endo, chilli, podium, spesh demo8, and chromag stylus,,,, all fit us perfectly well,

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" medium chilcotin. Started with 50mm stem went 60mm and its pretty good. HD is a large with 50mm stem. The reach on the HD is very short. No issues with too much exposed post on chilcotin and run 15mm of spacers under stem.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm also 5'11.5" (seems to be common here), with about a 31.5" inseam. I ride a large with a 50mm stem. I could almost go either way, but the medium feels just a bit too short for me. My Buddy who's 5'10"ish rides a med. and it's perfect for him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I took my HD into my lbs where they have a built up large. The chili ETT was about 5mm SHORTER than the large HD which conflicts with what is published on knolly and ibis website. After sitting on the knolly, it felt about the same as the HD. I'm confused!

Additionally I'm actually 5' 10.5" with a 32.5 inseam. I guess I'm a large but I'm more confused than ever by the info on knolly'a site as it claims the large has an ETT of 625 mm...

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and 33" inseam (so VERY close to you), and ride a large with 50mm stem and 785 bars. I've ridden a medium with a 70mm stem, and it felt WAY to small to me. Not to mention the 10" of exposed post I had.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I definitely a fan of a bigger frame w short stem as opposed to small frame w long stem and tons of seat post

mtbr member
    I am sure you have done your searching but I'll put these for a quick reference:

Endo: How do you measure ETT?

Listen to Dusty

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Calhoun...what are your measurements? Are you a tweaner as well? I believe I said my inseam was 32.5, but its actually 32....

One day I think Im a large and the next Im a medium (in my head). Does anyone know how to contact Dusty to ask for his input? My local shop said Im a large but Im skeptical...obviously...

Thanks again for all the input!

mtbr member
    6' w/ 34" cycling inseam.

You can contact Knolly here:
    info@knollybikes.com

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It looks like Im going with a large, though Im still torn about it. Three guys at my bike shop, along with Kevin at Knolly think large is the way to go. Mainly because where I live (Denver), we have to climb on our rides and I want to use the Chili on everything and not just park days. I would have like 10" of seat post hanging out of a medium, which seems like too much to everyone involved in the decision making process. Im still open to input though so let me have it!

mtbr member
    Might be worth the 4 hour drive if it is weighing that heavy on you. You can drive 8 hours to ABQ and ride my Large if you'd like.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Kevin knows what he's talking about, steered me and a few friends in the right direction. FWIW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gapowell14 View Post
    I'm also 5'11.5" (seems to be common here), with about a 31.5" inseam. I ride a large with a 50mm stem. I could almost go either way, but the medium feels just a bit too short for me. My Buddy who's 5'10"ish rides a med. and it's perfect for him.
    Go with medium Warden! Should solve sizing problem with longer reach and ETT to Chili, even though the ST is 1/2" shorter. I am 5'10" (w/shoes) with really long legs (33" actual inseam from floor to crouch w/level) and ride med Banshee Rune w/50 stem. I came really close to getting a Chili on a couple of occasions and would of went medium after consulting with Noel (a local buddy who is almost 6'2" w/super long torso, shorter legs, rides large). I do really long climbs at times in PacNW, sometimes up to 7000ft of gain/loss on a given day of riding (my Rune is my XC bike as well) and I just jack the post up and drop the fork for the steeps, approx. 11.5" exposed from clamp to rails on 16.9" ST bike. Even though it looks goofy, as long as you have about 4" post insertion it is no problem according to Noel and can easily be accompolished with 6" dropper post. When the trail points down and carving and jumping, I am always happy to have my medium. One thing to consider with large is the much longer wheelbase, which I don't like for twisty, jumpy, carvy trails at our local AM/trail center (Sandy Ridge, OR). Open, high speed stuff, which we don't have a lot of, I imagine to be fine though. Just a thought.
    Ride On!