mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Chilcotin missing Linkage bolt- size/spec?

I lost a bolt in my rear 4x4 linkage on my Chilcotin today. Im mad at myself for not doing a thorough bike check. I do have the bike serviced often and I guess I put it off on my mechanic to make sure everything was/is tight.

So make sure to tighten your bolts Chilcotin owners!

Question; Will any allen head M6 bolt with the right length work from the hardware store or do I need something special.

THX

The Dude
    Which bolt exactly did you lose? None of the bolts is a usual hardware stor one - the weakest ones are 8.8 grade. Give me the exact spot so I can answer.

Owner @ Beastie Bikes - Let your inner beast get you

http://www.beastiebikes.pl

mtbr member
    I lost one of mine last week and called Dusty. He said that they used bolts that you could find in your local hardwear store just in case this ever happened. I went to a local bolt store and they had the bolt that I needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    knolly sent me a pdf but i cannot see the markers denoting the which bolt is which in the pdf. ie; a b c d e f. the bolt in questions is at the highest point of the rear linkage where the linkage meets from the rear triangle to linkage from the frame. im confident i can find the right bolt at a hardware store with a complete bolt selection.

this is a very complex linkage, it is going to need maintenance. tighten your bolts chilcotin riders.

p.s.- love this bike, everyone who see's it ignores my buddys $8k pivot and asks me constant questions about mine chilcotin. the guys at the bike store leave it in the bike rack when i drop it off for tune ups, so that people coming in can see it.

thx - knolly

mtbr member
    one issue i just saw on my chili is some play on the smaller linkage side to side. anyone else notice that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yes me to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by for-ester View Post
    yes me to
    dusty or noel, how serious is that? is it something to be worried about or a non-issue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust77 View Post
    knolly sent me a pdf but i cannot see the markers denoting the which bolt is which in the pdf. ie; a b c d e f. the bolt in questions is at the highest point of the rear linkage where the linkage meets from the rear triangle to linkage from the frame. im confident i can find the right bolt at a hardware store with a complete bolt selection.

this is a very complex linkage, it is going to need maintenance. tighten your bolts chilcotin riders.

p.s.- love this bike, everyone who see's it ignores my buddys $8k pivot and asks me constant questions about mine chilcotin. the guys at the bike store leave it in the bike rack when i drop it off for tune ups, so that people coming in can see it.

thx - knolly
    That is the same bolt that I lost on mine. I check it before every ride now.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    one issue i just saw on my chili is some play on the smaller linkage side to side. anyone else notice that?
    Ummmmm....short anser: No.

I'm sure you've checked that all the bolts are snug, so not sure what else could be the culprit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Ummmmm....short anser: No.

I'm sure you've checked that all the bolts are snug, so not sure what else could be the culprit.
    someone above said they noticed it as well. yes, all tight and i don't think there should be any play

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    someone above said they noticed it as well. yes, all tight and i don't think there should be any play
    Is it where the horseshoe meets the seat stay?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Is it where the horseshoe meets the seat stay?
    i guess. no amount of tightening will help, it eithers fits or idt doesn't. my bushing movesa few mils along with the linkage. it doesn't fit tight between the machined part of the seat stay