Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Knomer

Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread

Let's get this going. This is a crazy adjustable shock, and everyone will have their own preferences based on terrain, etc. This is a good starting point based on our suspension design...

HSC: 1/2 turn from fully open (the 4x4 suspension design provides inherent bottom out control, so no need to over-damp this setting)

LSC: 15 clicks from fully closed (the 4x4 suspension design is FULLY ACTIVE, so a couple extra clicks from middle(12) keep the pedalling smooth and controlled)

HSR: 1.5 turns from fully open (rider preference prevails on this one, depending on how fast you ride and how big the hits are)

LSR: 12 clicks from fully closed (this is the median setting and keeps bumpy/technical climbing from feeling too springy)

Cheers.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Cool, thx.

AM riding.... 30% sag?

mtbr member
    Wow, talk about ironic. I just emailed Malcolm this morning about their suggested settings since it's not showing up on their site yet.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Dusty thanks!

Question-
    Why not do everything from open? Since everyone discusses in this manner and even cane creek has adopted the "from open" setting. This would provide consistency, as there are variances with respect to the total clicks and turns so a common start point would be ideal.

Just a suggestion...

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Dusty thanks!

Question-
    Why not do everything from open? Since everyone discusses in this manner and even cane creek has adopted the "from open" setting. This would provide consistency, as there are variances with respect to the total clicks and turns so a common start point would be ideal.

Just a suggestion...
    Weird. I literally took the language straight from their DBcoil base settings sheet, which must be a little dated I guess? Oh well. I agree, uniformity would help everyone.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I just heard back form Malcolm and he sent me exactly what Dusty posted, word for word.

Dusty, are these settings what you are running, or have you tweaked them a bit to suit you personally? You told me the other day you got to that "I thought I had a flat tire feeling but it was just my shock tracking well" point on yours, and that's typically pretty indicative that you've got the settings pretty damn close to dialed.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    For what it's worth, I just heard back form Malcolm and he sent me exactly what Dusty posted, word for word.

Dusty, are these settings what you are running, or have you tweaked them a bit to suit you personally? You told me the other day you got to that "I thought I had a flat tire feeling but it was just my shock tracking well" point on yours, and that's typically pretty indicative that you've got the settings pretty damn close to dialed.
    Ya, I sent my settings to Malcolm right after I posted them here, they will be a good starting point for anyone, since they are fairly neutral yet specific to our suspension design.

I've been tweaking this shock for the better part of a month, and I let G-Air borrow it for a week for a 3rd opinion(Noel was the first opinion). These settings are the amalgamation of all this input.

mtbr member
    Ah, cool to know. Be interesting when the production batch hits here soon and we really get some discussion going on everyone's settings/findings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    the way things are this thread could be postponed at least two months...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madafaka View Post
    the way things are this thread could be postponed at least two months...
    Thats perfect - lets me finish up what has been an amazing ski season

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

DB Coil Settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Weird. I literally took the language straight from their DBcoil base settings sheet, which must be a little dated I guess? Oh well. I agree, uniformity would help everyone.
    Language aside, would these DB Air base settings be an accurate starting point if transposed over to the DB Coil? Or do these numbers pertain specifically to the Air model?

mtbr member
    Odd thing is last year or so Malcolm told me to do everything from wide open, especially the low speed adjustments. He said from wide open, they are fully closed at 24 clicks, but due to the way they are made (no idea on specifics here), they can have 2 or 3 extra clicks. So from that, if you wanted to open it say 15 clicks, you might really only be on 12 or 13.

After talking to him, I just figured out what my settings where and recorded everything from wide open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Language aside, would these DB Air base settings be an accurate starting point if transposed over to the DB Coil? Or do these numbers pertain specifically to the Air model?
    In short, no.

I found the air and coil to have quite different settings. The most noticeable difference was with the HSC. With the air I ran very little HSC. With the coil I was right in the middle of the adjustment.

Maybe Dusty can chime in. He has quite a bit of time on both shocks.

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Odd thing is last year or so Malcolm told me to do everything from wide open, especially the low speed adjustments. He said from wide open, they are fully closed at 24 clicks, but due to the way they are made (no idea on specifics here), they can have 2 or 3 extra clicks. So from that, if you wanted to open it say 15 clicks, you might really only be on 12 or 13.

After talking to him, I just figured out what my settings where and recorded everything from wide open.
    I picked up a DBair for my endo and noticed the same thing. The manual states that there are 25 clicks of LSR and LSC and I've found that number to be pretty accurate for my shock. The HSR seems to have almost an extra full turn (from the 4 that is stated in the manual).

I know this is the Chili thread but here are my settings for an older endo in case other endo owner's pick up a DBair.

LSC: 9 clicks from full open
    LSR: 19 clicks from full open
    HSC: 1/2 turn from full open
    HSR: 3.5 turns from full open

Compression settings are similar to the posted Chili #'s but I seem to prefer slower rebound. Still dialing it in so the #'s might change a little.

Greystoke
    Dusty how much air are you running & what is your ride weight?

mtbr member
    That is a ton of HSR? Of the 4 CCDBs we have on our bikes (only one is DB air) I dont think any of them is past 1.5 turns (3 Knollys and 1 Turner). Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    That is a ton of HSR? Of the 4 CCDBs we have on our bikes (only one is DB air) I dont think any of them is past 1.5 turns (3 Knollys and 1 Turner). Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Buzz
    I agree - though the CCDB coil on my Podium has about 2 turns from open and that bike sticks to the ground.

That's the thing about CCDB so many choices!

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    Dusty how much air are you running & what is your ride weight?
    I weigh 215 RTR and ride 150psi.

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Buzz
    Yeah I was surprised where it ended up too. I may slowly back it off, but probably not too much. Right now it feels pretty good. The downhills I ride are pretty rocky and fast and the slower rebound helps the bucking. It will be interesting to see where others land on their adjustments. BTW, I'm running about 38-40% sag.

Yebo Numzaan
    Sorry if i missed it - has anyone posted anything about how the DB air actually feels on the bike? I heard a comment y'day that you can still tell that its an air shock (vs a coil).

I have never heard that 'flat tire' comment before...sh1t...every time i get that feeling...i adjust something because i dont like it

Apart from all the settings - i would dig to hear some personal feedback.

thanks dudes
    I support EMBA

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Sorry if i missed it - has anyone posted anything about how the DB air actually feels on the bike? I heard a comment y'day that you can still tell that its an air shock (vs a coil).

I have never heard that 'flat tire' comment before...sh1t...every time i get that feeling...i adjust something because i dont like it

Apart from all the settings - i would dig to hear some personal feedback.

thanks dudes
    My initial impressions are good but I'm hesitant to say anything definitive because I like a lot of ride time before giving detailed feedback. Plus my shock is probably still breaking in. Also, keep in mind this is on an Endo so Chili and Delirium owners may have a different experience.

You can get the DBair to have that "flat tire" feeling which some people really like, but the beauty of the shock is that you can also dial that out if you want a different feel.

IME, it's the best air shock I've ever tried (this includes a Pushed Monarch RT-AM and Xfusion Vector Air HLR). But, a lot of this comes down to personal preference so ymmv.

The DBair is the closest thing I've felt to coil performance (Avalanche Chubie as a my standard of reference). The initial part of the stroke is very soft and once on the trail feels very plush. IME, the DBair feels more lively while leveling and controlling the terrain whereas the Avy coil feels more composed and controlled moving through its stroke. I chalk this up to differing suspension philosophies than performance deficiencies on the part of either shock. Imho, coil still rules but DBair is so close that it may be splitting hairs at this point. Haven't had the chance to test the DBair on extended dh runs though. Most of my riding terrain is fast ups and downs. Hope this helps.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Yeah I was surprised where it ended up too. I may slowly back it off, but probably not too much. Right now it feels pretty good. The downhills I ride are pretty rocky and fast and the slower rebound helps the bucking. It will be interesting to see where others land on their adjustments. BTW, I'm running about 38-40% sag.
    40% sag? That seems like too much for a bike with such a low BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    40% sag? That seems like too much for a bike with such a low BB.
    I have mine at 35% and HSC just about off completely but a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and haven't blown through the travel yet. 40% might not be too much.

I hear you though. I am having a hard time thinking about riding that at 40% myself, too.

%$#$*!
    I actually think the old endo BB is not that low. I prefer low BB's so 40% puts it at a height that I really like. One of the reasons I got the DBair was that I read that they CCDB's work well with lots of sag.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    As eager as I am to get some time on the DB Air and the Chilcotin whenever the hell it gets here, I can't quite get my head around how the thing will climb well, especially in the tech, with so much sag. It seems like if I'm starting with 35% on level ground the thing is going to have to be in the neighborhood of 50%+ if I'm on a steep climb. If that's true I better make sure the MRP 2x is built to take a shitton of abuse because I'll be beating the piss out of it on ledge ups.

Anyways, mostly just thinking out loud here, anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast