Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Cane Creek and Knolly have been very helpful with the bushing issue. I don't have much time on the new hardware, but it is working well so far. The new parts are supposed to have a tighter tolerance and the rubber spacer has stayed in place.

Huge for customer service!
    Can you post a pic of the new hardware? I'm interested to see what they did.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Can you post a pic of the new hardware? I'm interested to see what they did.
    There are more spacers and everything fits together with more interference / tighter tolerances.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread-001.jpg  

Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    So what's sitting right against the eyelet DU bushing, the rubber washer, or a super thin alum spacer?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    So what's sitting right against the eyelet DU bushing, the rubber washer, or a super thin alum spacer?
    Rubber washer, just like the original hardware. So far, it is staying in place and everything is tight.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    HSR - 3 clicks slower from recommended
    Thanks for the info. Two quick questions:

1) By "3 clicks" do you mean 1/2 a turn?

2) Am I right to assume that you added to the HSR setting? (0 turns of HSR is "Lively Pop" and 4 turns is "G-out Control" according to the CC website.)
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Thanks for the info. Two quick questions:

1) By "3 clicks" do you mean 1/2 a turn?

2) Am I right to assume that you added to the HSR setting? (0 turns of HSR is "Lively Pop" and 4 turns is "G-out Control" according to the CC website.)
    1) Yes
    2) Yes, I turned it clockwise i.e. added more dampening i.e. made it slower

TSC
    Buehliever
    Got it! Thanks!!!

Guess who's been avoiding work today?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread-woodyak-settings-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just noticed on the Cane Creek website, that the setting have changed from they were last time I checked, and where this thread started off. Before LSC was at 10, and LSR was at 13. What changed?

Greystoke
    So I see the base tune charts at Cane Creek the 2013 Chilli has a recommendation of 17 clicks of LSR compared to the 2012 model 12 clicks.
    What gives ? Have I missed a newly designed Chilli coming out?

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    It might not be the frame but a revised shock.

Just a thought.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    No problem. I actually enjoy suspension tuning. That's why the CCDB is THEE shock for me.

I don't actually know the numbers as I go by feel. If I were to guess I'd say:

Sag - 37%
    LSC - 4 clicks less from recommended
    HSC - 1/2 to 1/4 turn from fully off
    LSR - 1 click slower from recommended
    HSR - 3 clicks slower from recommended
    Update: I've mostly been boon-docking at low speeds (through downed trees on deer trails) so I haven't had many runs on high-speed bumps, but the few I've had, have been great with your settings. The back of my bike just disappears. The only way I know it's rough is because I can't get my fork dialed in as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For those that care there is a new high-volume inner air sleeve available for the CCDB Air that will aid in tuning and getting full use of travel on progressive suspension platforms. This should allow riders to run less sag and give more tuning options... here's some more information from NSMB:

CaneCreek Double Barrel Air Owners! - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

mtbr member
    very interested to hear some real-world experiences with that update.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    For those that care there is a new high-volume inner air sleeve available for the CCDB Air that will aid in tuning and getting full use of travel on progressive suspension platforms. This should allow riders to run less sag and give more tuning options... here's some more information from NSMB:

CaneCreek Double Barrel Air Owners! - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums
    does the Chili need this? Seems like it will be better suited for the Mojo HDs and the likes? Any thoughts? If someone tries it on Chili, let us know. I wouldn't mind using less sag and getting as much shock travel on my chili.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I take my shock in on the 10th to get the new air can
    Right now with 30% sag I have a 5" travel Chilcotin.
    Hope that this will make a big improvement in the usable travel.
    I now will have to go through the whole tuning process again; I assume.

mtbr member
    Any word on cost ? Just spent a few days in Moab and Grand Junction and needed 40% sag to get full travel on TWE.

%$#$*!
    would be interested in hearing real-world experiences as well. I wonder if it could potentially make the shock "wallow"? I like the way the shock feels now and wouldn't mind getting more travel but not at the expense of how great the mid-stroke support is.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I´ll suppose this new inner sleeve is solution for those riders not managed to use full stroke with any usable airpressure / sag. Those channels allowing airflow between sleeves, has been rather small in original version and if not prefectly aligned, too tight - causing shock uncapable to use full air volume. Based on pics taken from new version, channels are clearly larger.

I´m curious too to read further experiences, not going to test that myself - there`s no such problem with my shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Got it! Thanks!!!

Guess who's been avoiding work today?
    That's awesome thanks for that. I'm gonna give that a try. I got mine on the stock settings as seen in the picture. Feels good but i think it can be a bit better.

Question:
    - whilst pedalling slowly seated or climbing, as i hit a square edge it doesn't roll over smoothly but rather gets slightly hooked up on it making me use alittle more pedalling force to overcome this. How do i adjust it so that i can roll over this more smoothly?

My friends got the ccdb coil and when i ride his one it just rolls over these square edges really easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey i just want to be sure. What do you guys in mm measure the shock stroke to be for the chilli?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread-screen-shot-2012-10-03-9.16.25-pm.jpg  

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    New air can cost = $00.00

shock stroke x .3 = 30% sag
    .25 = 25% sag

For me 57 x .3 = 17mm on the shock (like you can measure the .1 on the bike) for those who will be anal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    That's awesome thanks for that. I'm gonna give that a try. I got mine on the stock settings as seen in the picture. Feels good but i think it can be a bit better.

Question:
    - whilst pedalling slowly seated or climbing, as i hit a square edge it doesn't roll over smoothly but rather gets slightly hooked up on it making me use alittle more pedalling force to overcome this. How do i adjust it so that i can roll over this more smoothly?

My friends got the ccdb coil and when i ride his one it just rolls over these square edges really easily.
    I had the same problem and solved it by adding LSC.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

MC MasterShake

Question:

Try slowing down your HSR. I've found that sharp hits like that are generally a high-speed event. Slowing down the HSR should help absorb those hits better.

If you are pedalling REALY slowly and you run into that I'd say your running too little sag or too much LSC

TSC
    Buehliever

Question:

I think you're going to have a hard time getting any air shock to behave as well as a coil-over shock. (If you notice, the highest praise for an air shock is that it behaves like a coil shock.) In essence, coil-over shocks have an additional tuning feature (the coil). Air shocks are a trade-off--you give up the extra "tunability" for weight savings.

IMO, even square edges at low speed are going to be managed more by the LSC circuit on the DBair. As noted by CC in their graph, there is a tradeoff between pedaling efficiency and supple response. I rode the Wasatch Crest Trail the other day and while ascending "Puke Hill" I noticed much more bob in the back shock so you might not want to back off the LSC all the way to 11. And, I've wondered (i.e. haven't played with it yet) if adjusting HSC all the way to .25 is too far. (In a post somewhere, someone had the HSC all the way to 0 and Noel had said that wasn't good.)

Keep in mind, the post of mine you referenced is a set up that is much more for down hill, which I ride most of the time. It works quite well on the downs, but you sacrifice on the ups.

Hope this helps!

Chime in anyone if I'm overstating/oversimplifying or you disagree.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    New air can cost = $00.00
    Where do we sign up?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast