Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    It's really pretty damn amazing. All I've done is add 2 clicks of LSC from the stock settings, and it pedals well and bumps disappear.

I've had a DB coil on a few frames, so I know what that shock can do, and can't see justifying the extra weight of the coil on a trail bike. On a DH sled, sure maybe go coil. But even then, this feels so good that would be a hard choice, if say, one was to buy a Podium.
    Good to hear!

Would the DB air work well on the Podium since it is designed for a coil linear shock?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure, seems like I recall some time ago that Noel said the DB Air would work great on the Podium, but the coil would be the best option to get the best performance out of the frame.

BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT, LOL. I just seem to recall him posting something to that effect. I don't know if that's a case of the DB Air get's you 95% performance and the coil gets you 100%, or what.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    My wife has one on her Podium, and we have only taken it out a couple of times, but so far so good!

Buzz

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Awesome thats what I wanted to hear! I have a CCDB on my Podium, had one on my Endo and also had one on a Gen 1 Nomad. It made a lights out difference on both the Endo and the Nomad. I've never tried anything else on the Podium though I do have a Vivid 4.1 sitting in a box just waiting for Push to get the Team issue back in stock!

A new Endo with an Air sounds good to me!

Team Chilidog!
    Question for those who have ridden a CCDB and the DBair: are the settings of the shock (LSC/LSR/HSR/HSC) basically the same from CCDB and DBair other than the spring and spring type?

I ride an AM bike that I plan on using for DH stuff too, but it's not like I'm sending 10 footers or anything anyway, so I'm thinking of lightening up the bike a bit next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Question for those who have ridden a CCDB and the DBair: are the settings of the shock (LSC/LSR/HSR/HSC) basically the same from CCDB and DBair other than the spring and spring type?

I ride an AM bike that I plan on using for DH stuff too, but it's not like I'm sending 10 footers or anything anyway, so I'm thinking of lightening up the bike a bit next year.
    The function is the same, but you will probably end up with difference settings between the two.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMarkWa View Post
    The function is the same, but you will probably end up with difference settings between the two.
    Thanks, any idea on the weight difference? I figured it's probably a 3/4 lb without the coil.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Ive both, CCDB and DB Air and I`ve ridden quite a lot with them in Chili. They are different. Adjustments naturally works in same way, but adjustment ranges with DB Air is huge compared to CCDB - even with same pressure vs. one coil. The biggest difference is LSC, then LSR - there is much more internal compression with CCDB, even in the end of range nearly too much. That`s not a problem with DB Air. This means that similar feeling between those two requires different settings in both.

My CCDB is tuned one with 350lbs Ti-spring -DB Air is from stock. Ive used some other shocks in Chili too, inc. BOS Vip`r (without and with tuning), RP23 (without and with tuning), Vivid Air etc. and Ive to say that with DB Air adjustments you can mimic behaviour of whatever other shock, inc. feeling of CCDB.

mtbr member
    Just wondering how everyone is coming along with the DB Air's, thoughts, etc. Loving mine so far, I ran it stock for a few weeks and then added 2 clicks of LSC, it seemed to be wallowing a bit and getting hung up on stuff more than it should have. The 2 clicks helped in that regard.

Still feels like it sinks a bit more into the travel than I'd like, so I might add a few more clicks LSC just to see what happens. Pretty stoked on it overall.

I will say I'm not really keen on Cane Creek's 7 piece reducer system. One of the little o-ring washers that sits right next to the shock bushing keeps working it self loose and out of place, and almost works itself onto the reducer itself. Pretty annoying b/c it's creates a bit of play when it does it. I've got two sets of reducer hardware and it does it on both. Really wish CC would just go with a 3 piece reducer system like Fox or Rock Shox.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just switched my CC reducers for the Fox 3 piece ones... they fit much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    I just switched my CC reducers for the Fox 3 piece ones... they fit much better.
    They fit ok? The end of the DB's with the adjustments has a small area for a reducer to sit against. My Rock Shox hardware wouldn't fit there. If the Fox does then that's what I need to go find.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    They fit ok? The end of the DB's with the adjustments has a small area for a reducer to sit against. My Rock Shox hardware wouldn't fit there. If the Fox does then that's what I need to go find.
    I had play with the CC reducers and the Fox ones eliminated this.... I already had the Fox hardware sitting around from my previous shock, so I gave it a try and voila, perfect...

mtbr member
    Yup, when I stick the reducer pivot axle through the shock bushing, there is a tad bit of play.

Yebo Numzaan
    I am willing and ready, but havent been convinced yet to convert to the CCDB Air. I read the thread posts and thanks for all the feedback.Its really interesting.

I feel as though injuries and various setbacks have prevented me getting up to full speed this year (so far)...so i havent really noticed the RP23 holding me back yet. Hoping that will change soon.

i just learnt that a friend received his Chilly with the CCDB Air - so its time to plan a ride together.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    I was incorrect in my earlier post. The RS/Fox hardware won't fit on the OLD Double Barrels. They do not have an area trimmed out to fit the larger diameter of those hardware pieces that hold the o-ring.

The DB Air on the Chili has this area trimmed away so the RS/Fox hardware will fit. Sorry for the confusion, I just found this out while trying to sort out my issue. The stupid rubber o-ring worked it's way loose again on today's ride, and I've got crazy play again.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    I'll get a most serious tuning article up shortly but this should provide you with a good start.

Cheers!
    Hey Noel/Dusty,

Has anything else come of the tuning article that was in the works? Now that I've got mine in hand I'm eager to read more about your thoughts on DB Air setup.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

EdH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just got my Chili with a DB Air - does anyone know if the shock comes with the recommended base tune pre-set?

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of RS hardware last night for the longer set of reducers. I had the nicer fox 3 piece set up or the short bottom set (21.8 or whatever). I couldn't find the Fox 3 piece setups online anywhere.

%$#$*!
    Still loving my DBair. I'm not too keen on all the pieces and o-rings on the reducer system either. I had to throw and old rock shox in there as the ones cane creek sent always seem to have play in them.

TSC
    Buehliever
    I'm showing my ignorance as I don't know exactly what you all are talking about. (A picture of the problem would be nice.)

I may be way off track but Dusty gave some props to RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS on his thread A worthy upgrade . Would this help you out?

As my Chili will have the DBair, I'm curious to know the best solution.

mtbr member
    I don't believe the RWC kit will work. From what I read, the CCDB's eyelet the bushing presses into is a slightly different size than Fox/Marz/RS. I've been looking for the thread I found that in, but can't find it again.

I'll try to get a picture of what's causing my issue.

mtbr member
    Ok, here's the best I can do since I'm at work.

per the diagram:

#1 is the rubber o-ring that sits right against the bushing sleeve to keep grit out
    #2 is a fixed floating piece that is width dependent on the size of the axle
    #3 is a fixed end piece that has a recessed area with an o-ring on the inside, that keeps all the parts from falling off when you try to install it.

Now my issue is #1 constantly works out of place and/or works itself up onto #2. So that gives the assembly lateral play the width of #1, probably 1 or 2mm.

This is on top of the play already there when I put the pivot axle through the bushing. Both my Cane Creek sets of hardware do both things, have play with the pivot axle and the rubber o-ring comes out of place. This design is just beyond piss poor.

RS and Fox are much better. Both have a larger circumference on the end that goes against the bushing sleeve to capture or cover the o-ring and keep it in place. RS's has a recessed groove that captures a rubber o-ring, and Fox is similar but only has a recessed area to cover up the o-ring.

My Fox hardware i had for the short end worked and the pivot axle was a super snug fit in the bushing. We'll see how the RS hardware I ordered for the top does.

Hope this makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread-ccdb-hardware.jpg  

TSC
    Buehliever
    Ok, here's the best I can do since I'm at work.
    WOW; I'd love to see what you could do with a little time! You could probably redesign it for CC.

Stupid question: Have you sent this info to CC and see their suggestions and if they will send you a fix. (Sorry for the obvious question, but I used to work in tech support and it's amazing how many times things get overlooked in the heat of a situation.)

mtbr member
    LOL, this is what happens when you are an engineer and sit in front of a computer for most of the day.

I've not emailed CC about this, simply b/c I know this is how all their hardware is made, and I want a fix now and not have to worry about it anymore. RS and Fox hardware are available and should work, so I can have it fixed in a matter of days.

TSC
    Buehliever
    LOL, this is what happens when you are an engineer and sit in front of a computer for most of the day.
    I studied engineering (electrical) if you haven't guessed by the anal bullet lists and obnoxiously long posts. I have ADHD and OCD which makes obsessively fixated on only those things that I like. (I think I have a new tag line!)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast