Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    There's a pretty lengthy DBair thread over on the Ibis forum.

mtbr member
    A new article posted over at Sicklines:

linky
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    A new article posted over at Sicklines:

linky
    Thanks for the link. I didn't realize there are included internal volume adjust spacers. I wonder if the shocks will ship with none installed?

Also, Dusty, can you comment on the advantages/disadvantages of using the spacers, baced on terrain and rider weight?

MC MasterShake
    Well the spacers lower the air volume adding progressiveness to the shock. From what I've read on this thread and the Ibis thread it sounds like progressiveness is the last thing this shock needs. It will be interesting to see how this shock does on other bikes. Pretty much every report I've read has folks complaining about how they can't get all the travel even with the HSC all the way out. It sounds like the volume spacers and even the HSC adjuster are a waste.

How's that for E-speculation!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Thanks for the link. I didn't realize there are included internal volume adjust spacers. I wonder if the shocks will ship with none installed?

Also, Dusty, can you comment on the advantages/disadvantages of using the spacers, baced on terrain and rider weight?
    Mine came uninstalled in a bag with shock.

mtbr member
    I wonder if the frames coming with DB Air's will come with the little adjuster tool and the spacers? I'm guessing probably not, that's just for aftermarket?

mtbr member
    I wonder if the frames coming with DB Air's will come with the little adjuster tool and the spacers? I'm guessing probably not, that's just for aftermarket?
    Surely, the tool will. Dunno about the spacers. Dont spacers make shock more progressive ramping it up at end stroke? If so, I don't see the need for them on this shock.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    There's a pretty lengthy DBair thread over on the Ibis forum.
    Interesting reading though the suspension designs are so different that I'm guessing a lot of the discussion regarding the ride characteristics/performance are irrelevant. Most interesting was the mention of how people are measuring sag, seems that there is a bit of room from bottom out on some sizes that I wondering if people are factoring into their measurements. It looks like there will be less on our size shock(60mm from bottom of blue seal to end of shaft but stroke is only 57mm) but even so if people are taking into account those extra 3mm that still makes a pretty substantial difference in sag calculations. Someone with sag at 20mm into the stroke might be thinking they are at 33% sag when they are actually at a bit over 35%. Not a huge difference but might be blowing up some of the sag levels being reported.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Perhaps they are running with too much air pressure (ie not enough sag)? Sounds like 40% sag might not be out of the question for this shock? My wife has only ridden hers around the local park, so no chance to really try the shock. She said it does feel as plush as the CCDB coil on her Highline (the DB Air is on a Podium), but I think that might be because there was a bit too much air in it AND it probably needs some break in time.

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Dont spacers make shock more progressive ramping it up at end stroke? If so, I don't see the need for them on this shock.
    Bender hucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Interesting reading though the suspension designs are so different that I'm guessing a lot of the discussion regarding the ride characteristics/performance are irrelevant.
    Idk. The Ibis HD apparently does not play well with the CCDB since it's designed around a progressive air spring. That would have led me to think that the DBair would be a perfect match... yet excessive sag and little to no HSC is required to approach full travel.

Don't get me wrong, I think the DBair has huge potential, and is on my short list for the Chilcotin. Right now it just seems to be overdamped in HSC, or the air spring curve needs tweaking, or both.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    How's that for E-speculation!!!
    Pretty damn accurate.

I honestly don't know if the tool will come in the box. I'll ask.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member

Settings-easy reference

Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread-knolly-chilcotin-2012-dbair-0.5-10-1.5-13-8.png

mtbr member
    Nice. Thanks FNG.

Have you gotten any good rides on yours yet?

Just roll it......
    I'm with Catch22.....40% sag sounds like an awful lot if you ask me!

Seems like climbing would be a biotch and any pedaling through technical terrain would too. I know before I shimmed my RP23, I was having a ton of issues with that.

mtbr member
    Nice. Thanks FNG.

Have you gotten any good rides on yours yet?
    A few. It is a beotch to set up. Especially for someone as impatient as me. Granted, it is a helluva lot better than the platform rp23. I have my LSC and HSC all the way off and still don't use most of the travel at 35% sag.
    I am going to try the 40% sag and see. My honest opinion is I wished this shock ran the way it does on this bike with the dials moved close to half open. But not getting plush travel with the LSC and HSC off completely, not much more room to "adjust" except the sag and hoping maybe it needs to "break in" more.

Interesting though, my LSR knob started turning in both directions endlessly and I called Cane Creek. They directed me to BTI and while I was in Santa Fe, NM today, I dropped it off to get warrantied. I told the tech what was going on and how it rode and he said he would talk to Malcolm and see if there were any adjustments he could do to it internally to make it more specific to the Chilcotin. I will let you guys know if he does anything different when I get it back.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, interesting. Hope they can straighten you out warranty wise, and you can get it tuned more to your liking.

Glad I have my older CCDB coil as backup right now though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    I have my LSC and HSC all the way off and still don't use most of the travel at 35% sag.
    I am going to try the 40% sag and see. My honest opinion is I wished this shock ran the way it does on this bike with the dials moved close to half open. But not getting plush travel with the LSC and HSC off completely, not much more room to "adjust" except the sag
    Well said.

mtbr member
    I ordered my Chili with DBair based on Knoel using the term "game changer" as I recall yet the reviews here are average at best. I am very interested to see how it feels.

%$#$*!
    For the record, I really like the performance of the DBair on my endo. Not sure how this will translate to the chili but I can't imagine it will be that much different. I like it better than every shock I've tried (with the exception of the Avy barely edging it out).

Like FNG mentioned, I wish the adjustments had more range and full travel was a little easier to achieve. (sorry about your warranty issues!) 40% is a big percentage to wrap my head around on paper but on the bike it performs great, ime. The quality of suspension never makes me feel like I'm missing any travel. I've not hit any drops over 3 feet on it yet so perhaps the last bit or travel is reserved for large hits. If so, I'm ok with that. The jury is still out concerning long term durability but so far I'm impressed.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I weigh 215 RTR and ride 150psi.
    Thanks I'm at 220lbs rtr .
    I'm starting to wonder if this shock is better suited to the heavier rider ?

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Oh you don't say? Interesting
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member

Fanning the flames of e-speculation

Posted on the Intense forum

"I heard today through the grapevine from a source I trust that there may be some issues with the CCDB Air from the factory that are causing the end stroke travel issues. Apparently more information is forthcoming and I will report back when I have some solid data. Cane Creek will NOT respond to any of my requests for information at the moment. Maybe they are busy...."

mtbr member

"I heard today through the grapevine from a source I trust that there may be some issues with the CCDB Air from the factory that are causing the end stroke travel issues. Apparently more information is forthcoming and I will report back when I have some solid data. Cane Creek will NOT respond to any of my requests for information at the moment. Maybe they are busy...."
    Well that is interesting.

MC MasterShake

Ugh!

Breath deep, don't panic...

What size is the shock again? Anyone know what size the shock spacers are? I might have a shock I can use as backup.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast