Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    To me coil works much much better. I've had the air for about 8 months. And just recently the coil. Coil is much plusher and provides better traction in my experience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    I realize that it's high flow and not higher volume...What I was referring to was using the "volume reducers" to eliminate bottom out.
    Sorry, mis-read your post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Just wondering...if a DB Coil weighed the same or less than a DB Air, would anyone still pick the air over the coil based on performance characteristics alone?

I may need to decide between the two shortly, and since I don't care about weight, I'm wondering which simply works better overall.
    I did. I chose the DBAir for my Podium. Mainly for the increased tuneability and more progressive nature which will hopefully make the impact less dramatic when I case something I really should clear. It seemed to me the 'faster' shock to go with.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hey Guys!

I know I sound like a broken record here, but there are TWO different topics here:
    1) Air flow between inner and outer air chambers: old shocks may have had issues with this; new shocks shouldn't.
    2) Large volume external chamber: this is a sidegrade, not upgrade and useful for certain frame designs. It is not required for Knolly products (though shoudln't be detrimental either).

If there is an issue with #1, you'll notice because you're not getting full travel on the shock: you will be missing about the last 8 - 10 mm of travel. You should have the shock serviced by an authorized Cane Creek service centre.

As far as bottom out resistance, go back to the fundamentals:
    1) Ensure that your air pressure is correct - this is ALWAYS the starting point of shock tuning!
    2) Tune HSC as required to allow you to use all the travel, but not have frequent bottom out issues.

Cheers!
    cheers noel
    reading this, especially the point with the last 8-10mm of travel, makes me wonder if my shock isn't one of the ones that has issues, as i really miss out the last few mm. i thought that the can shouldn't run through the whole way. but now it seems as if this could be a reason for my "strange" feeling i have, even having it dialed in my pov.
    what should be the next step for me if i need to get that fixed? can i do it on my own or do i need assistance?

mtbr member
    i spoke to chris at cc and due to my issues with the shock and taking my setup into consideration, he recommended to change the inner can. i now sent the shock for update and am curious how this will influence the ride and my opinion. will keep u posted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    To me coil works much much better. I've had the air for about 8 months. And just recently the coil. Coil is much plusher and provides better traction in my experience.
    That applies to all forks and shocks. Air suspension is such a stupid PITA just to save a few grams.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    That applies to all forks and shocks. Air suspension is such a stupid PITA just to save a few grams.
    Furthermore, I have ridden with plenty of people who go extremely quick on stock suspension, widely derided as inferior to Avy'd Chili'd on these forums.

Dyno charts don't have opinions, make some, post them.
    funny, i've ridden with plenty of people who go extremely quick on air suspension front and rear, widely derided as inferior to coil suspension by you. please post some dyno charts to support your stance

mtbr member
    Let's face it, an individual's capability of going fast is not the metric we should be using to judge shocks. Everyone will ride at differing speeds, depending on an infinite number of factors and variables.

But there is nothing wrong stating one's opinion. That's what forums are. I agree with Mrwhlr that air shocks are a PITA, which is why I'm changing from a 2012 Vivid Air R2C, to a CCBD Coil. Not that the Vivid doesn't perform well, I just don't like the 'feel'.

It's my hunch, that if coil shocks could be economically manufactured to weigh less than an air shock and cost the same as an air shock, we wouldn't see any air shocks since they lose their primary benefit...weight reduction. (the ability to instantly change your air spring pressure is a close 2nd)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Let's face it, an individual's capability of going fast is not the metric we should be using to judge shocks. Everyone will ride at differing speeds, depending on an infinite number of factors and variables.

But there is nothing wrong stating one's opinion. That's what forums are. I agree with Mrwhlr that air shocks are a PITA, which is why I'm changing from a 2012 Vivid Air R2C, to a CCBD Coil. Not that the Vivid doesn't perform well, I just don't like the 'feel'.

It's my hunch, that if coil shocks could be economically manufactured to weigh less than an air shock and cost the same as an air shock, we wouldn't see any air shocks since they lose their primary benefit...weight reduction. (the ability to instantly change your air spring pressure is a close 2nd)
    That's gonna piss Qbert off.

Mfgs like air because they don't have to stock a lot of different springs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alfredo View Post
    i spoke to chris at cc and due to my issues with the shock and taking my setup into consideration, he recommended to change the inner can. i now sent the shock for update and am curious how this will influence the ride and my opinion. will keep u posted.
    I am quite possibly the biggest person on the planet riding a Chili and I got one of the first run frames with the CCDBA and even I at 300+lbs couldn't get full travel out of it. I could get my sag set up perfect but I still wasn't getting almost an inch of travel out of it. I sent my shock off to get the mod and it made a world of difference. To be honest, before the mod to my DBA and modifying the horrible OEM Fox Float RLC that came with my frame I had buyers remorse. Now I'm loving the bike. I just wish I had more places to ride it near where I live.

mtbr member
    That's gonna piss Qbert off.

Mfgs like air because they don't have to stock a lot of different springs.
    it sure does since i run coil front and rear on my chili. too bad you mised the point there

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    it sure does since i run coil front and rear on my chili. too bad you mised the point there
    Was it your plagiarism, or your thinking a dyno can produce a stupid, ass-pain, plot? You better get off those coils, or get used to the idea that you're doing what I tell you to.

mtbr member
    Was it your plagiarism, or your thinking a dyno can produce a stupid, ass-pain, plot? You better get off those coils, or get used to the idea that you're doing what I tell you to.
    no, my vanilla rc is avy'd. damn, i'm not running stock like you hero.

TSC
    Buehliever
    get used to the idea that you're doing what I tell you to.
    I like the logic. Let me try:

Keep bickering!

Now, you both will be doing what I told you to do; therefore, I own you!
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Hello.
    I have configured the shox as the web recommendation for my chilco 2012.
    LSC: 15
    LSR: 17
    HSC: 0.5
    HSR: 1.5
    I weigh 225 RTR and I put the pressure to 180 psi but when pedaling I feel like a loose spring. What Do I have to do? Maybe I could put more clicks in the LSR and LSC to achieve more pedal efficence without put more pressure in the shox. Or is better put more shox presure?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by graypaw View Post
    Hello.
    I have configured the shox as the web recommendation for my chilco 2012.
    LSC: 15
    LSR: 17
    HSC: 0.5
    HSR: 1.5
    I weigh 225 RTR and I put the pressure to 180 psi but when pedaling I feel like a loose spring. What Do I have to do? Maybe I could put more clicks in the LSR and LSC to achieve more pedal efficence without put more pressure in the shox. Or is better put more shox presure?

Thanks
    WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE....You should be around 160 psi. That will set your sag up correctly and won't feel like a loose spring. Check out the Knolly's website and the recommended pressures. You are way above that. Good luck. The shock is incredible.
    Last edited by mayha; 06-25-2013 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE....You should be at 160 psi. That will set your sag up correctly and won't feel like a loose spring. Check out the Knolly's website and the recommended pressures. You are way above that. Good luck. The shock is incredible.
    Hello.
    Thanks for your answer.
    The last weekend I tried to put 160 pressure into my shock, it was impossible to climb with that setup. I have a 1x10 transmission with the Leonardi General Lee adapter to transform my 11/36 cassette to a 11/40. I adjusted the transmission in my house, the chain went up and down on every pinion without jumps or yanks. When I went out and I began to climb the chain went up with a lot of jerks and only run a bit well in the last pinion, the 40 tooth.
    To avoid it I put more pressure in my shock, I got less yanks with but I didnít fix it. What could I do? I think to put more clicks the lSC, cuts down the chain, Other suggestions?
    Also I think the default shock setup suggested in the web doesnít apply on that setup and I must find by myself

mtbr member
    hi graypaw
    well, i do not have the same problems that you have, but i agree that the setup suggested doesn't apply to all shocks.
    i would suggest that you talk to either dusty bottoms here, or to chris from cc and tell them about it. they should be able to help. maybe you need the shock, or at least the inner can, getting replaced. or maybe something totally different.
    good luck.
    if you need chris' email, let me know.

mtbr member
    Hello Alfredo.
    Thanks to answer my post.
    I thought to ask the spanish's Knolly supplier because Is very strange the behaviour of my chilco, but as I have a special tramsnission I will try to do first some differents setups to find a solution. That is my first CCDB and this shox is very difficult to setup for inexperienced people. One thing is true from few weeks ago I feel the shox as a soft spring.

Regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My personal preference is to set the pressure based on Sag. What ever pressure it takes to get 30% sag fully geared up for a ride for me is the right pressure to use. On this bike I'm pretty sure 30% sag is about 17mm. I always get the sag dialed in first before turning knobs. The recommended settings are a good starting point. I am also a heavier rider and found that I like my bike setup with 1 to 1.5 turns of high speed compression. at .5 on HSC I found it would sink to deep into it's travel on sharp hits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMarkWa View Post
    My personal preference is to set the pressure based on Sag. What ever pressure it takes to get 30% sag fully geared up for a ride for me is the right pressure to use. On this bike I'm pretty sure 30% sag is about 17mm. I always get the sag dialed in first before turning knobs. The recommended settings are a good starting point. I am also a heavier rider and found that I like my bike setup with 1 to 1.5 turns of high speed compression. at .5 on HSC I found it would sink to deep into it's travel on sharp hits.
    I too thought the recommended settings and pressure guide were really good. I am not more than a click or two off on any of them.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    see, i am (or was) on the complete other side. i also do first set the sag, but with me it's 21mm (i'm not that heavy). nevertheless i had hsc even more open (to 0.25) and it still felt harsh. i now sent it to replace the inner can and hope this will solve the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alfredo View Post
    see, i am (or was) on the complete other side. i also do first set the sag, but with me it's 21mm (i'm not that heavy). nevertheless i had hsc even more open (to 0.25) and it still felt harsh. i now sent it to replace the inner can and hope this will solve the problem.
    In my case I have both the higher flow inner can as well as the new XV outer can. I must say so far I am liking the higher volume outer can. Before the can the closest I could get to full travel was about within 3/8 inch of full stroke. On my ride the other night I got to within 1/8 inch of full stroke which is close enough for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMarkWa View Post
    In my case I have both the higher flow inner can as well as the new XV outer can. I must say so far I am liking the higher volume outer can. Before the can the closest I could get to full travel was about within 3/8 inch of full stroke. On my ride the other night I got to within 1/8 inch of full stroke which is close enough for me.
    Yes, if you are within 1/8" of full stroke you are well into the bottom out bumper at that point. Less HSC won't get you that last bit, a bigger drop will
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust View Post
    Yes, if you are within 1/8" of full stroke you are well into the bottom out bumper at that point. Less HSC won't get you that last bit, a bigger drop will
    Whats interesting is if you let most of the air out of the shock and cycle it, there doesn't appear to be a bottom out bumper, or if there is one its extremely soft. So I'm not sure the air CCDB has one.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast