Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    228

    Chilcotin headset angleset?

    Just curious, has anybody put their chilcotin past the 66 degree head angle in slack mode using an angleset?

    I used to have an intense ss with 180 fork on front and that was very slack though i'm not sure what it was. The chilcotin is very nice but if it was just a little slacker i'm thinking it could almost match my old intense when going down.

  2. #2
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,233
    Try it and report back

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cfrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Just curious, has anybody put their chilcotin past the 66 degree head angle in slack mode using an angleset?

    I used to have an intense ss with 180 fork on front and that was very slack though i'm not sure what it was. The chilcotin is very nice but if it was just a little slacker i'm thinking it could almost match my old intense when going down.
    You wont need the angle set.

    If you put a 180mm fork on the chili with a lower external headset cup, then this will tilt the bike back and youll probably be sitting at 64-65 degrees. Remember that 66 is not for a 180 fork but a 160.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    You wont need the angle set.

    If you put a 180mm fork on the chili with a lower external headset cup, then this will tilt the bike back and youll probably be sitting at 64-65 degrees. Remember that 66 is not for a 180 fork but a 160.
    he may not want the bb raised that much using a 180mm with an external lower. couldn't hurt trying an angle set of some type though. i was thinking a works offset headset with the chili in steep mode if pedal strikes became an issue to keep it slack but to raise the bb by a bit. so far havent needed to.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    If you're not already familiar with it, check out the AngleSet calculator on the Cane Creek website: AngleSet Calculator It's very useful for figuring out all the effects the AngleSet will have, such as BB height, wheelbase, etc.

  6. #6
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Did you have a SS1 or SS2?

    I believe the Chilcotin is actually lower/slacker then the SS1 with comparable fork. I think the SS1 was one of my favorite bikes of all time.

    If you are talking about the SS2 then disregard everthing I said above and just go for it. IMO though, the 180 in slack mode wouldn't jack the BB height very much and might actually be a welcomed addition in a lot of circumstances.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    148

    Chilcotin headset angleset?

    ha! same here regards the ss1! loved everything about that bike ... except climbing. still have it but preparing it for sale ... hard to let this fukcer go.
    can't measure since it's in pieces but i think the head angle w/ 180 mm fork and external bottom cup was around 65-65.5* and bottom bracket ca. 350 mm w/ schwalbe MM. this actually should be very close to the chili numbers (180 mm fork w/ internal cup).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    Did you have a SS1 or SS2?

    I believe the Chilcotin is actually lower/slacker then the SS1 with comparable fork. I think the SS1 was one of my favorite bikes of all time.

    If you are talking about the SS2 then disregard everthing I said above and just go for it. IMO though, the 180 in slack mode wouldn't jack the BB height very much and might actually be a welcomed addition in a lot of circumstances.
    Yes it's the SS1. I love that thing. Of course the chilli is much better for trails and going up but nothing beats the SS1 going down. I got a 180 on the SS1 and it was a beast going down!

Similar Threads

  1. Angleset Headset and Bottom Bracket height
    By Ottoreni in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 05:16 AM
  2. cane creek angleset (headset)
    By sundace in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 02:06 AM
  3. Rogue with Angleset headset.
    By Nsynk in forum Ellsworth
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
  4. 2010 integrated headset to angleset??
    By Leethal in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
  5. Chilcotin Headset Choice
    By F.N.G in forum Knolly
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •