Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chilcotin FAQ's

mtbr member
    Yup, preaching to the choir. I've broken 2 M8 bolts on my V-Tach, one of these bolts on my Giant AC1, which broke my shock's shaft on the Giant. When my Giant's bolt busted, I had just climbed to the top of Mission Ridge (12 miles up), and was getting ready to descend. PIA is an understatement.

But I've also broken chain stays and ovalized head tubes (on my Giants), so I would consider myself to be an above average, aggressive rider who puts a lot of hard miles on my rigs.

My 'not required' comment is to clarify that this is a product improvement. It's not a defect, or mandatory upgrade. (and yes, I will be upgrading, as I tend to ride at the ends of the bell curve)

I expect that two pieces of CNC'd aluminum will not be cheap (guessing around the $200 range??)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Yup, preaching to the choir. I've broken 2 M8 bolts on my V-Tach, one of these bolts on my Giant AC1, which broke my shock's shaft on the Giant. When my Giant's bolt busted, I had just climbed to the top of Mission Ridge (12 miles up), and was getting ready to descend. PIA is an understatement.

But I've also broken chain stays and ovalized head tubes (on my Giants), so I would consider myself to be an above average, aggressive rider who puts a lot of hard miles on my rigs.

My 'not required' comment is to clarify that this is a product improvement. It's not a defect, or mandatory upgrade. (and yes, I will be upgrading, as I tend to ride at the ends of the bell curve)

I expect that two pieces of CNC'd aluminum will not be cheap (guessing around the $200 range??)
    i hope less for chili owners. it is an upgrade that should have been done right from square one on a newly designed frame. flat plate style rockers on a $200+ frame are really unacceptable when it is an easy matter to run 3d. people paid decent money for a boutique frame. i guess we'll find out eventually. i know people who won't even consider a frame without 3d rockers.

mtbr member
    right on

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Chili is probably going to be my next ride, but what headset is recommended for a tapered fork - lowest stack height possible. CK or Cane Creek, if you know exact product name and size that would be awesome!

And I'm also wondering if the FD is direct frame mount, or do you have to BB mount it with one of those E types?

Thx

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by djball View Post
    Chili is probably going to be my next ride, but what headset is recommended for a tapered fork - lowest stack height possible. CK or Cane Creek, if you know exact product name and size that would be awesome!

And I'm also wondering if the FD is direct frame mount, or do you have to BB mount it with one of those E types?

Thx
    Cane Creek: Top: ZS49 / Bottom: EC49. Choose your series: 110 or 40

Front Derailleur: Shimano: FD-M785-E2, XT level
    "E2" is the essential part of this. It mounts directly to the frame, not to the bb.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    i hope less for chili owners. it is an upgrade that should have been done right from square one on a newly designed frame. flat plate style rockers on a $200+ frame are really unacceptable when it is an easy matter to run 3d. people paid decent money for a boutique frame. i guess we'll find out eventually. i know people who won't even consider a frame without 3d rockers.
    Birds of a feather, qbert.

If your frame is a large, I'll give you $500 for it.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    Qbert, to be honest, I thought you were a bit arrogant when speaking about what Knolly should have done regarding 3D rockers and that they should have used 8mm hardware. Now that I've bent the shock bolt, I now give credence to what you were saying. I rode and still own an Iron Horse 6Point for 4 years that had 3D rockers and 8mm hardware and never had an issue with bolts bending. Knolly built up an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING bike in the Chilcotin. It simply blows my mind every time I ride it. It is a truly genius creation that has changed what the industry should try to attain. I really commend Knolly for addressing this issue and I also believe they will be reasonable to all Chilly owners with pricing for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Qbert, to be honest, I thought you were a bit arrogant when speaking about what Knolly should have done regarding 3D rockers and that they should have used 8mm hardware. Now that I've bent the shock bolt, I now give credence to what you were saying. I rode and still own an Iron Horse 6Point for 4 years that had 3D rockers and 8mm hardware and never had an issue with bolts bending. Knolly built up an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING bike in the Chilcotin. It simply blows my mind every time I ride it. It is a truly genius creation that has changed what the industry should try to attain. I really commend Knolly for addressing this issue and I also believe they will be reasonable to all Chilly owners with pricing for an upgrade.
    i've had flat plate rocker bikes before with 8mm hardware and it was a weak point. 3d rockers with even 6mm hardware are better than flat with even the 8mm grade 12+ bolts knolly uses. i'm glad they addressed it, as unfortunately, just like blowing a tire off the rim it usually happens far away from the car and can lead to a long walk out, plus kill the buzz of a good ride. time will tell how much existing owners will be charged to upgrade. i guess we'll see then how fairly they are priced.

btw, i don't get the arrogant part. this is a consumer review forum where we should be able to say the good with the bad. if we all just blew smoke up each other's azzes no one would be aware of any issues or potential ones. really, we the consumers should be looking out for our best interests, not the manufacturers. it's their job, as a good company to respond to problems, not rely on forum users to jump all over anyone with a dissenting opinion so they are silenced before making people aware of stuff.
    Last edited by qbert2000; 11-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    On every bike I've owned that included a long shock bolt and flat rocker plates, I've bent the bolt. Some of the designs, like Foes, were just ridiculous (horrible design with the scissor linkage). Bikes that did this on me include foes, azonic and rocky mountain. The amount of stress this thing is seeing is immense, and the longer it is, the more of a lever is on it with the rocker plates. It either has to be huge diameter (not really possible), or you do something decent like use 3d rockers. My last 3 FS bikes have had some form of 3d rockers, and no problems with these types. It's not great to generalize about bike design, but flat rocker plates and long shock bolts/pins usually don't mix. I did look for this when considering my recent FS bikes, and I will in the future as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anybody got pics/details of the Chilcotin 3d rocker? Are the kits available now and what is the cost?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Bolts cost less than $1

Knolly built up an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING bike in the Chilcotin. It simply blows my mind every time I ride it. It is a truly genius creation that has changed what the industry should try to attain.
    This ^^^^^

How is that even possible with 2d rockers?

Only a real spode would ignore that over a rocker design. I think that's why Turner had 'em first .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    This ^^^^^

Only a real spode would ignore that over a rocker design. I think that's why Turner had 'em first .
    I'm not sure if you've ridden a Chilcotin, but it's the best bike out there! You get the best of everything in this bike, but most importantly the "fun factor" this bike has is unprecedented. Knolly is addressing the rocker arms so that's nothing to hold against them. The bike is a step above!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm not sure if you've ridden a Chilcotin, but it's the best bike out there! You get the best of everything in this bike, but most importantly the "fun factor" this bike has is unprecedented. Knolly is addressing the rocker arms so that's nothing to hold against them. The bike is a step above!
    We're in agreement, except for one thing - the Delirium is the best bike out there .

To put it another way, qbert and Jayem are being biatches about the rockers.

Elitest thrill junkie
    This ^^^^^

You are one of the biggest kool-aid drinkers out there, latching on to Az forum posts with no direct connection, defending chumba until you looked ridiculous, and so on.

Let me spell it out for you, first of all, getting grade 12.9 bolts is usually going to cost more than a dollar. While not excessively expensive, often they are of a specific size and thread that may or may not be available at the hardware store. If it is at the hardware store, it's still significantly more than a buck, and if it's not available there, it's a pain to order every time this happens. What really happens though is that the bolt bends, and you have rotating parts like the shock bushing, once you have a bent part in there trying to rotate, you quickly wear the bushing and possibly deform the shock hole and mounting brackets in the linkage. This is why it's such a big problem, because these interfaces are not made to be toyed with all the time, and once you introduce play in there due to ovalization and making the ID bigger, the problem just gets worse and worse, as now the bolt is free to "rock" back and forth in the area that has been worked open/free space. This makes the play develop a lot faster on all of the joints due to the higher instantaneous forces encountered, and on any high priced bike, this is simply not acceptable.

You like to whine and cry when other people post something that you don't agree with, so don't get your panties all in a bunch since I'm doing the same with you. You can either accept this or not, but hopefully others can find it useful and use it to make informed decisions.

But don't worry, I'm not going to call you a b|tch in kind, I refrain from the personal attacks. Knolly makes great bikes. Sometimes things are overlooked. It looks like they are trying to address this, but you always seem to claim that errors and problems are not really what they are until the evidence is screaming in your face. Good luck.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You are one of the biggest kool-aid drinkers out there, latching on to Az forum posts with no direct connection, defending chumba until you looked ridiculous, and so on.

Let me spell it out for you, first of all, getting grade 12.9 bolts is usually going to cost more than a dollar. While not excessively expensive, often they are of a specific size and thread that may or may not be available at the hardware store. If it is at the hardware store, it's still significantly more than a buck, and if it's not available there, it's a pain to order every time this happens. What really happens though is that the bolt bends, and you have rotating parts like the shock bushing, once you have a bent part in there trying to rotate, you quickly wear the bushing and possibly deform the shock hole and mounting brackets in the linkage. This is why it's such a big problem, because these interfaces are not made to be toyed with all the time, and once you introduce play in there due to ovalization and making the ID bigger, the problem just gets worse and worse, as now the bolt is free to "rock" back and forth in the area that has been worked open/free space. This makes the play develop a lot faster on all of the joints due to the higher instantaneous forces encountered, and on any high priced bike, this is simply not acceptable.

You like to whine and cry when other people post something that you don't agree with, so don't get your panties all in a bunch since I'm doing the same with you. You can either accept this or not, but hopefully others can find it useful and use it to make informed decisions.

But don't worry, I'm not going to call you a b|tch in kind, I refrain from the personal attacks. Knolly makes great bikes. Sometimes things are overlooked. It looks like they are trying to address this, but you always seem to claim that errors and problems are not really what they are until the evidence is screaming in your face. Good luck.
    Jayem, relax, after all this is "just another horst link" we're discussing here .

Just roll it......
    Pretty sure I bent mine prior to shimming my rp23. I've since gone with the medium Fox shim and put a new bolt on and haven't had the bottoming issue since.

I'll likely take them up on the 3D rockers when they're ready. I guess I should finally get around to building up the Raw small that's sitting in my garage too.

EB

mtbr member
    So do the new frames that are shipping currently come with the 3D rockers?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So do the new frames that are shipping currently come with the 3D rockers?
    Kevin mentioned in the other thread that they will be a rolling change, but no date has been set.

I will probably buy the new rockers when they are available, not because I have ever broken the bolt, but for no other reason than I like the latest and greatest
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We're in agreement, except for one thing - the Delirium is the best bike out there .
    I thought this too, but after some BCGB time last night, current nod to the Chilcotin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2