Knollician

Chilcotin and Endorphin: A 6 month review (x-post from AM)

KNOLLY Chilcotin and Endorphin: A 6 month review

X-Post from the AM forum for your reading pleasure.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    The only question left unanswered is which color is faster. You said that Endo is a purpose built trail slayer, but how much of that is built into that yellow? Would the Chili be faster if it was yellow?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nice write up, thats helped alot in differentiating the Endo from my Chili. Thanks.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Nice review ;-)

TSC
    Buehliever
    Excellent job. Well written; and you let the pictures tell a story that most wouldn't believe. I still can't fathom riding up that stuff.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    The only question left unanswered is which color is faster. You said that Endo is a purpose built trail slayer, but how much of that is built into that yellow? Would the Chili be faster if it was yellow?
    It depends on the situation. If you are posing, yellow is much faster. If you are riding, raw is lighter and faster. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great review. The pictures illustrate the points you made very well.
    The question I have is which bike would you use if half of the ride was in South Mountain like terrain and another half was a lot less technical. Talking about 25-30 miles with 6-8K climbing total.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    tisser.
    a quick question for you.
    im in the process of building up a endo, im aiming for a lightish build. what do you think of the fox ctd shock, is it any good or is it not worth using, should i swap it out for somthing else. what shock would you recomend as a replacement. if it helps i will be running a bos deville fork, 160mm taperd, thanks in advance mate, ian.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_la View Post
    Great review. The pictures illustrate the points you made very well.
    The question I have is which bike would you use if half of the ride was in South Mountain like terrain and another half was a lot less technical. Talking about 25-30 miles with 6-8K climbing total.
    The Chili is just so fun in the technical stuff. If I HAD to have only 1 bike, it would be the Chili, built lighter. Right now it is 33lbs which is not an issue at all. However, if I were to be riding it for more epic rides, I could easily drop 3lbs from the bike. The Chili rides and pedals very well. I would be hesitant to over build an Endorphin as it would take away from what makes it so special, being light, taught, and super playful.

EDIT:

This is really a tough question. I guess it depends on what your riding priority is. The Endo will handle South Mountain, just not as fast or smooth. If you live for the climb, the fast and flowy sections, then Endo might be the right choice for you. If you live for chunk like we do, the Chili can't be beat.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    tisser.
    a quick question for you.
    im in the process of building up a endo, im aiming for a lightish build. what do you think of the fox ctd shock, is it any good or is it not worth using, should i swap it out for somthing else. what shock would you recomend as a replacement. if it helps i will be running a bos deville fork, 160mm taperd, thanks in advance mate, ian.
    I have no issues at all with the CDT. I run it in descend mode all the time. Other than experimenting, I have never run the shock in the trail mode. I'm not sure I would change the shock out for another option. The Fox is so reliable, the dampening works, and the rebound on the CDT works better for me than the previous RP23 I was on. There is absolutely no wallow, yet ramp up is nice and smooth without even a hint of spiking. This is a pretty confident statement considering I am running the pinnacle of shocks on my Chili.

Not to mention the new Fox hardware is the best out there IMO with the DU bushings.