mtbr member

Chilcotin Country

Ive been raking round the net trying to learn the background to my new bikes name and today pinkbike loaded a lovely video up called Chilcotin Country:

Video: Chilcotin Country - Pinkbike
    Heres the soundtrack: The Lumineers - "Stubborn Love" (Official Video) - YouTube

If anyone has any more links or pics please post them up.
    Last edited by cfrench; 04-03-2013 at 03:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice one

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Lumineers kick ass. Stoked to see their show in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    I cannot imagine bombing the trails with such huge packs on my back like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Chilcotin Country-colandiansprucelake.jpg
    Chilcotin Country-ianchilcs.jpg
    i was lucky enough to head out to the chilcotins 2 years ago, went to tyax lodge then float plane to spruce lake, and rode back. its the best days riding i have ever done. absolutly fantastic.
    Last edited by delirian; 04-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i must appologise for the funny face in the first pic, ha ha,( im the one on the left and yes we are twins before anyone asks lol) i was eating a granola bar as the pic was taken, lol.. we were carbloading lol while the plane went back to pick up the other members of our party,
    also appologies for not having many photos it was an epic day so we didnt get much time to stop to take photo's

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    a friend lives at gunn lake, and so i,ve been riding the chilcotin for 15 years or there-a-bouts. fly-ins and north to south traverses(live in the north end of chilcotins). we have always used bobs for annual 5-8 day exploration of the passes. every year someone in our group seems to try packs, panniers, bikepacks, but typically go back to bob. have one fellow who believes it stresses the rear end of his frame, so he always is checking out the horse assisted , or fly-ins, drops etc. we have had our bobs dropped or picked up by floatplane but it is very weather/wind dependant and we have been left without gear/food overnight one year. very cool area to ride, but you are truly out there. not a good place to get hurt, bike breakdown or bear confrontation. we have experienced, survived all of the above, but it is not for everyone. hate to see the area become over run with tourism, but that is how things roll. love the area, love the bike . have ridden my friends chilcotin, but i am riding an endorphin. snow is finally going and after owning my bike since nov. i have finally got to ride it. loving it, as is my chilcotin brothers......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    i must appologise for the funny face in the first pic, ha ha,( im the one on the left and yes we are twins before anyone asks lol) i was eating a granola bar as the pic was taken, lol.. we were carbloading lol while the plane went back to pick up the other members of our party,
    also appologies for not having many photos it was an epic day so we didnt get much time to stop to take photo's
    they are great photos delirian. real shame you didnt take any more. my younger brothers are identical twins, wish i could swap them for you two as mine dont do mountainbiking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jlepp View Post
    a friend lives at gunn lake, and so i,ve been riding the chilcotin for 15 years or there-a-bouts. fly-ins and north to south traverses(live in the north end of chilcotins). we have always used bobs for annual 5-8 day exploration of the passes. every year someone in our group seems to try packs, panniers, bikepacks, but typically go back to bob. have one fellow who believes it stresses the rear end of his frame, so he always is checking out the horse assisted , or fly-ins, drops etc. we have had our bobs dropped or picked up by floatplane but it is very weather/wind dependant and we have been left without gear/food overnight one year. very cool area to ride, but you are truly out there. not a good place to get hurt, bike breakdown or bear confrontation. we have experienced, survived all of the above, but it is not for everyone. hate to see the area become over run with tourism, but that is how things roll. love the area, love the bike . have ridden my friends chilcotin, but i am riding an endorphin. snow is finally going and after owning my bike since nov. i have finally got to ride it. loving it, as is my chilcotin brothers......

yeah it's pretty dam remote out there, think we were told nearest hospitals somthing like 4-5 hours away, so it would be mega expensive recovery if you were to get injured lol. we had to wait a good 9 days for the weather to pick up so we could get the float plane, it was towards the end of september though. and bloody cold early in the morning, we got the plane at 9am. as we landed the jetty in the pic had a good half inch of frost on it, lol. it soon warmed up as the sun came above the mountains. we didnt have any bear encounters, and everyone made it back safely.
    i quite fancy trying the hut to hut thing that tyax are doing this year. but it's a tad expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    they are great photos delirian. real shame you didnt take any more. my younger brothers are identical twins, wish i could swap them for you two as mine dont do mountainbiking.
    lol... yeah i supose its quite fun being an identical twin, always having a riding partner, and always competeing against eachother lol. even though we are pretty much the same ha ha,
    it's funny, he's good at the things im crap at. and i am good at the things he's crap at. if we could be combines as one we would be the ultimate rider lol.
    we are pretty close and get on really well, we are like a comedy doubble act when we get togeather, we feed off each others humour lol.

we wanted to take our cameras video cams helmet cams ect, to do lots of shooting but the guides wouldnt let us. we were told it was gonna be a very tight schedual and they werent wrong lol. we did somthing like 38k from the lake to the pick up point, then a short drive back to tyax lodge. it was a very long day. left whistler at 5am and got back to whistler at 12am (midnight) everyone was worn out by then lol. well worth it though.
    i didnt take the photo's either so cant take any credit for them, it was our mate mike. ( aka mad mike) he took his cannon eos 7d so was riding round with a huge photographers pack on his back, he did take quite a few more pics of the group but these are the one 2 of me. there are a few of us in the plane to. lol. but i didnt put them up as you wanted trails shots.
    its defo worth a trip if you ever get the chance.
    we ( col and me) are going to whistler in june ( last 2 weeks) and last 3 weeks in september we stay with Welcome to Bear Back Biking. youd be more than welcome to tag along im sure they have rooms available still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    we (col and me) are going to whistler in june ( last 2 weeks) and last 3 weeks in september we stay withWelcome to Bear Back Biking. youd be more than welcome to tag along im sure they have rooms available still.
    Thanks for the offer, that would have been amazing but sadly i wont make over to BC this year. I live in Scotland and have already planned my hols for this year. Next year my plans are to go to Mont Blanc / Chatel in France in May 2014 to visit BC in mid-Sept 2014....so thanks for the link to Bear Back Biking, youve just solved my problem of which tour operator to use!

My brothers are 'double act' too when it comes to sense of humour . And competitive...if they were cyclists (they are just not the adventurous types) i would play them off each other and compete against them, i can only but dream. I always used to wind them up by saying things like 'he's better than you at abc' and they'd always take the bate and play it out.

mtbr member
    a friend lives at gunn lake, and so i,ve been riding the chilcotin for 15 years or there-a-bouts. fly-ins and north to south traverses(live in the north end of chilcotins). we have always used bobs for annual 5-8 day exploration of the passes. every year someone in our group seems to try packs, panniers, bikepacks, but typically go back to bob. have one fellow who believes it stresses the rear end of his frame, so he always is checking out the horse assisted , or fly-ins, drops etc. we have had our bobs dropped or picked up by floatplane but it is very weather/wind dependant and we have been left without gear/food overnight one year. very cool area to ride, but you are truly out there. not a good place to get hurt, bike breakdown or bear confrontation. we have experienced, survived all of the above, but it is not for everyone.
    Oh my god...BEARS!...does 50mm work? thats the one thing that really scares me, more than getting hurt and having to field dress myself, is bear confrontation.

I watched that film 'Grizzly Man', and although it was clear that we could survive a number of consecutive bear encounters, in the end...ITS GONNA EAT YOU!

Its a hell of a risk to take? Do you see many of them in the Chilcotins?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the offer, that would have been amazing but sadly i wont make over to BC this year. I live in Scotland and have already planned my hols for this year. Next year my plans are to go to Mont Blanc / Chatel in France in May 2014 to visit BC in mid-Sept 2014....so thanks for the link to Bear Back Biking, youve just solved my problem of which tour operator to use!

My brothers are 'double act' too when it comes to sense of humour . And competitive...if they were cyclists (they are just not the adventurous types) i would play them off each other and compete against them, i can only but dream. I always used to wind them up by saying things like 'he's better than you at abc' and they'd always take the bate and play it out.
    ha ha ha... thats funny, he's better than you lol. classic, rofpmsl.
    yeah we go to whistler twice a year. hopefully go again next year to, so if you go in sept 2014 we maybe there. fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oh my god...BEARS!...does 50mm work? thats the one thing that really scares me, more than getting hurt and having to field dress myself, is bear confrontation.

I watched that film 'Grizzly Man', and although it was clear that we could survive a number of consecutive bear encounters, in the end...ITS GONNA EAT YOU!

Its a hell of a risk to take? Do you see many of them in the Chilcotins?
    Bears are out there, as are wolverines and wolves. Typically they avoid people and even when we have met them coming over a ridge, they have high tailed it out of there. But they are real, it is not a zoo, and the threat exists. Bear spray, bangers, etc are available and if nothing else will give you a sense of some safety. Don't sweat it, enjoy the scenery, cool trails, lakes and passes. I love it out there

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bears are out there, as are wolverines and wolves. Typically they avoid people and even when we have met them coming over a ridge, they have high tailed it out of there. But they are real, it is not a zoo, and the threat exists. Bear spray, bangers, etc are available and if nothing else will give you a sense of some safety. Don't sweat it, enjoy the scenery, cool trails, lakes and passes. I love it out there
    ha ha ha tell him if the bears dont get you the cougers will ha ha, and i aint talking about horney old women that prey on young men ha ha ha.

black bears are ok it's the grizzlies you gotta watch out for. lol.