Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chilcotin compared to Enduro

9K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  leokbm 
#1 ·
I know it's a vague question! I have a 2010 Enduro which I like. Just thinkign I might try somehting new but not sure if the FSR would be that different of a riding bike. Frames weight about the same, geo is pretty close also. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The 4x4 is different than Specy's version of the Horst. First, there are 2 sets of linkages. One in which controls the wheel rate and path, and the other which controls the shock/leverage rate. This is unique in that is allows Noel to independently configure both for a specific purpose. Compared to other horst link bikes, the Knolly will pedal better, have less wallow, and simultaneously be more active. The Knolly is ridiculously active, yet has an incredible mid and ending stroke. The Chili is a ripper, and cornering on this bike is something you have to experience to believe.

We need to hook up sometime so you can hop on my Chili. They are stunning to see in person.

#3 ·
Several of my riding buddies own Enduros (all 2010+) and I currently own a Chilcotin for AM/FR use, so I think I may be able to provide some insight here. First, what tiSS'er says is completely true. Even to a suspension novice like myself, the Chili's improved pedaling and more active suspension are obvious, all without giving up a phenomenal mid-stroke. What I like about the Enduro, which is certainly subjective, is its more DH feel. It is a bigger bike than the Chili and on beastly descents I would say it feels like it, which is not the easiest task as the Chili feels much bigger than it is (in a good way). Unfortunately, the Enduro also feels like a bigger bike going up. It suffers from significantly more pedal bob and what I can only describe as lag in the suspension. The Chilcotin absolutely shines on the climbs, like no other comparable bike I've ridden. Also, to me the Chili feels like a far more playful bike than the Enduro. If all I were riding were jump trails and had to choose between an Enduro or Chilcotin, it would be the latter every time.

In summary, the Enduro as an AM bike gave up a lot to be a monster on the descents. It does do very well in this respect and against my Chili (with an RP23), I dare say it did a better job. However, after strapping an Avy'd Van RC on and dialing it in, the nod even here likely goes to the Chilcotin.

#4 ·
Oh hush now. I read right here on mtbr some Prescott clown saying the 4x4 is nothing more than a Horst link, just a very particular kind of Horst link. He used the term Horst link a lot, at least three times, so I think he was pretty sure of his thoughts.......;)

#5 ·
Well since i did own a 2012 Enduro Comp i can tell you from first hand experience how they do .As most have said , the chili climbs extremely well , very stiff , active, and its a playful bike . I love that i can build it up from 150mm-180mm .The shock mounts also are great to run steep or slack . The Chili is a do it all bike for sure , it handles great too . I have noticed that you really need to get dialed in and ride the bike a certain way to really enjoy it and learn how it reacts.

Now , my enduro was great , loved it a lot , it it just handled everything easily . As mentioned before it is a burly bike , and it feels like your in the frame not on the frame . Even tho it only had a 160mm fork on mine , the front end tended to wander at times and i had a hard time climbing with it . What i also didnt like was that it had the proprietary parts on it so i couldnt swap out the shock on the 2012 frame .It is a very capable bike and it can handle whatever you throw at it .I wouldnt hesitate to buy another enduro at all .

I would say both bikes are great , its a win win with either , but i give the nod to the Knolly due to the adjustability and how well it climbs .

#7 ·
Sold my carbon road bike this weekend which was a factor in getting the Chilcotin. Next was to see if DSP-Racing had a shock in stock. Trying to keep the weight down somewhat as I not a DH'er and do mostly pedal rides at PMP and SOMO in Arizona.

This morning's email.

Hi Tim

the shorter we have in stock is 8.5 e2e.

DSP have stop making short coil like this because no request or so... but i can suggess you the x-fusion vector hlr air with high volume air sleeve. that high volume air sleeve will support no problem your weight.

I looked at Avalanche this morning. Woodie and Chubie with Ti spring is pricey. Know they would be great shocks! But dang I thought I had this figured out using the DSP shock.

#9 ·
All options at this point. Thought DSP-Racing was going to be the ticket. Kevin with Knolly just suggested the CCDB Air, I am a heavy rider at 270,but he said I should be fine with it.

As stated, trying to keep weight down some as I need all the help I can get on climbs.

#11 ·
The CCDBA has been an awesome shock for me so far.

What shocks have you used in the past?

As for Dusty's recommendations, I have learned to take heed. That guy kinda knows what he is talking about.
I have a Push RS Monarch RC3 Plus on my Enduro. I like the performance over all but there are areas I could see improvement.

On a Ventana El Rey I had the Push RS Monarch RT-AM. That shock for that bike was great.

All Fox Air shocks pushed or not have not been up to par for me. Can;t nail it down but they just don't feel right.

I would prefer an Air shock for the type of riding I do. So if the CCDB-A is a good match on the Chilcotin I have no issues running that shock.

#12 ·
Talked to the guy at Avalanche, sold on the Woddie with steel spring for now. I just hope I don;t get the weight to high as I need all the help I can get on climbs. My 2010 Enduro with RC3 Plus weights in at 32lbs.

#13 ·
Joined the family today and ordered a black ano Chilcotin with CCDB Air. Was really on the fence between it and the Woodie. After a long chat with Kevin, I decided to go Air. Great support so far from Kevin on all my questions. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Congrats , and no offense but a shocks weight wont have an effect on " help " with your climbs. The best area to look at for weight savings would be your wheels first.

After that i would recommend trying a diet plan and getting into a healthier lifestyle to shed some weight and practice on some long steady climbs to help as well. Best of luck to you :)

#16 ·
If you only knew my diet plan, I have kidney diease related to diabetes. So lets just say, I'm restricted as all can be on diet. Everyone thinks heavy people are simply sitting around eating pizza and drinking beer all day. Not the case here. Insulin is the main issue and how it converts carbs. Then one would say more protein, can't kills the kidneys. Could get in more base miles though.

I have Flow Rims laced to Hadley hubs.

#20 ·
The Chili builds up really easy.

If you aren't using a front derailleur you can re-use those bolts. They thread right into the holes for the water bottle mount.

Also my first Chili frame didn't come with any cable mount hardware (plastic clips) but the second frame did. Those clips are pretty swanky, especially the double wides.
110 Headsets are a b!tch to press in.

#22 ·
I used to be more weight conscious before I got my chili. I started off with a lyrik RC2DH and a vivid air. Great, light setup. However first ride on coil, Im sold. The bike is heavier, yes, however my riding has improved. I only notice the weight on uphill slogs, which I dont care for much anyways. Uphill tech has improved, and well, the downs are glorious.

With that being said, your gonna love your chili no matter how its setup.

#23 ·
Good choice! I'm 240-250 depending on dinner and beer without gear.

You'll be fine on the Chili, I received mine last summer had spent some solid time on the bike, including 4 days at whistler and 3 at Mt Creek(Diablo). I have an '11 S-works Enduro (I broke the '10 S works at upper shock mount interestingly enough).

I haven't sold either bike. Chili is versatile beyond belief, it handles like a scalpel. Its line tracking and the suspension on technical climbs are un-believable. You will be happy.

The Enduro is also an amazing bike, I think its just a bit quicker on the non-tech ups and its "flow trail" characteristics are top notch... which makes it a bit quicker overall (seat of the pants).

I think with the Chili BB dropped they probably on par in the descent (both have 160 36 Foxes), but in the air the Chili feels much more neutral and even a bit more flickable than the lighter S-works.

They're both just awesome bikes, but if I were to have just one, I'd keep the Chili... the adjustable geo and ability to pull some stupid slow speed moves and clean techy ups and own the downs wins vs. a bit more speed for me. Luckily I can keep em both.

#24 ·
The build begins this weekend. Fluid change in the Lyrik done and set it back to 170mm. Fresh dot 4 in the Hopes and some new Goodrich pads. Had planned on a final ride on the Enduro tonight but one of my staff had to go home with a tummy ache.

#29 ·
Great looking bike. I love the stealth! Glad to have you join Team Knolly! I can't wait to hear your impressions. Keep in ind it may take a few weeks to adjust to the "Knolly Ride" They do ride a bit differently than any other bike I have been on. But, once you figure it out...you will really appreciate the bike. I suspect it will take you a month or so to get the CCDB dialed in as well. Don't be afraid to play with it.

Before you know it, the rest of your crew will be on Knollys :) That's how it started in my crew. I bought one, and next thing you know....

#30 ·
I figured it will take some time to dial it in. But if you know what each dial does it should not be that hard. Might have to try the steep setting or change the Lyrik to 160, 170 and I have a 65 degree HA.

#39 ·
Took it into a big wash by my friends house, sweet.

Came in at 33.08 pounds. HA is 65 degrees in the steep position, 170 Lyrik. No pics yet, but since it is stealth ANO Black you would not see it anyway. :)

#45 ·
Took it into a big wash by my friends house, sweet.

Came in at 33.08 pounds. HA is 65 degrees in the steep position, 170 Lyrik. No pics yet, but since it is stealth ANO Black you would not see it anyway. :)
Nice thread, enjoying watching the build come together.

One question though. Maybe I'm missing something, but how did you manage 65 degrees in the steep setting?

#48 ·
what are your impressions about the lateral stiffness and rigidity??...i have a 2010 Endo...its swingarms look like to be twice the diateter of the Chilotin...i am considering it for having more tralev but this....make me have some dubts about it....what do you think???...thanks

#51 ·
I saw this question in the other thread. Same answer - I test rode the 2012 Chilcotin and was blown away by how stiff it was laterally. I now own a 2013 Endorphin and the lateral stiffness is perhaps my favorite "feature" of the frame. I've never ridden a Speshy Enduro, but I hear they are great. Don't let the tubing size or the 4x4 linkage fool you into thinking a Knolly may not be stiff laterally. I assure you, Knollys are laterally stiff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.