mtbr member

Chilcotin 26 & 27.5 COMBO

I've been thinking about this for a while and haven't posted because part of me thinks WHY? However, I keep thinking about it and it may be pretty sweet....

I'm considering getting a 27.5 Lyrik @180 and slamming the stem. Has anyone considered this or even done it? How will it handle and steer.....and climb? I know folks have done the larger front wheel/smaller back wheel in the past with 26 & 20, but not sure with 26 & 27.5 and specifically the Chilcotin...

Cheers!
    Last edited by mayha; 05-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Interested to hear others' responses too. I'm in the process of updating/refreshing the Chilcotin and I'm about to buy some new wider alloy rims to have built up. I was just going to rebuild the Avalanche damper in my old 26" Lyrik but this idea has intrigued me.

FWIW:The spacing in the back is big enough to run a 27.5 rim too if you don't go too crazy on the size/volume of the tire. That's another topic that's already been addressed here, so ignore if you've already ruled that out.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Someone posted up that they had already run. Theirs w a 27.5 fork and wheel (26 in back) and loves that combo. Think it was somewhere on the big photo thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I wouldn't sacrafice a wide tire on the rear to get a 27.5 rim in. I think that's a terrible trade off on a bike like the Chilcotin. OTOH if you want to get a new fork and a 27.5 rim that's a reasonable thing to do on the front end.

I've thought about that for my 160mm 26er AM bike, but I'm not spending the $$ on a new fork unless the old fork actually dies.

I think a 27.5 wheel up front could be nice, but it's not a big enough deal to swap out a functional fork I like.

I would note that once I started running the biggest tires that would fit my bike [2.4" Conti Trail Kings] I really liked the better roll through in rough terrain vs. my older 2.3" tires that were not nearly as big due to tire manufacturer size fiction.

I like the roll through better on my 27.5" bike, but the difference isn't nearly as much now that my 26er has big tires on it.

If your 26er fork has the clearance and/or you are willing to "make" clearance with a dremel tool...there are some 26+ tire options that would work with your existing 26er rims and give you a taller tire/wider tire.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I agree, I would not sacrifice tire width to fit the 27.5 in the back....I have my Chili built up quite burly already and don't want to go backwards, hence the bigger/longer fork. And would be even slacker at that point....It would be 64.5 with the 27.5/180 fork in slack (I believe). I'm just not sure how it would handle with this set up as it wasn't designed this way. It would essentially be in the same "ish" realm as the new Delirium...
    Last edited by mayha; 05-28-2016 at 04:28 PM.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I wouldn't sacrafice a wide tire on the rear to get a 27.5 rim in. I think that's a terrible trade off on a bike like the Chilcotin. OTOH if you want to get a new fork and a 27.5 rim that's a reasonable thing to do on the front end.

I've thought about that for my 160mm 26er AM bike, but I'm not spending the $$ on a new fork unless the old fork actually dies.

I think a 27.5 wheel up front could be nice, but it's not a big enough deal to swap out a functional fork I like.

I would note that once I started running the biggest tires that would fit my bike [2.4" Conti Trail Kings] I really liked the better roll through in rough terrain vs. my older 2.3" tires that were not nearly as big due to tire manufacturer size fiction.

I like the roll through better on my 27.5" bike, but the difference isn't nearly as much now that my 26er has big tires on it.

If your 26er fork has the clearance and/or you are willing to "make" clearance with a dremel tool...there are some 26+ tire options that would work with your existing 26er rims and give you a taller tire/wider tire.
    x2 ^^

36vanilla 26" will clear a 650b/27.5" Michilin Wild Grip'r 2 in 2.35" advanced...you can relace for the price of spokes, rim and tire and not need a new fork. Also, trying different combo's helps to get an idea for handling and relationship between HTA/fork offset etc.

mtbr member
    So....Just found this and BUBBA tried it, although he did it on his Warden with 29 front and 27.5 rear. He found the "limits", but that is understandable as the front was only 130 and rear 150. I'd like to keep the same travel (or more) and slam the stem...

B-9 Warden