mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Chilco 22-36 : which front derailleur

Hi everybody,

Does any one have first hand recommendation about front derailleur for a SRAM 2x10 with 22-36 tooth setup...

SRAM is doing some specifics derailleur but Knolly is recommending Shimano... Shimano is specified as 12 tooth range only.

If somebody has a working setup, I will take it

Stéph.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX E-Type Direct
    CranksetRace Face SIX C 36/24
    Chainguide: MRP 2X

I run 2x10 but it's a 36/24 set up. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

Best bet is to email knolly directly. They're pretty good at replying.

Have you thought of going 36/24? I'm not that strong a climber but i find the 24 just low enough. I couldn't imagine going lower because it would just spin. Even with the 24 i have to go to the 2nd or 3rd largest rear cog otherwise there's not enough forward momentum for technical climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks,

About 24/36, yes I have thought of it. This is just that I am swapping from my old build and I do have 22/36. But going 24/36 may be the ticket for me.

My wife's bike has it, and you right this is plenty enough...

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I am running the XO 2x10 and use XT front D.
    It is the "E" type 786. Weather SLX, XT or XTR the last # will be the "6", eg; 586, 786, 986. This will be for the 2x10 setups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    we both running 2x10 on our endo and chilli, we got the mech that knolly recomends on the website, fd xt what ever it is.

mtbr member
    this thread should give you the answer you want

Chili Chainguide options

Personally, I am using the XTR FD-M985-E2 on my 2x setup with a 22/34 combo.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Good question--I'm curious about the answer too since I'm thinking about getting a similar SRAM crank setup with a 22-36. Is anyone running a Shimano E-type and a 14 tooth spread SRAM in the front?

mtbr member
    Shimano XT FD-M785-E2 (E-type direct mount)
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    http://tweedlove.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    I'm runnin a Shimano XT 2 x 10 with the above Shimano FD. It has been working perfect to date. I'm also looking for changing my ring set up to a 22/34 combo. Can anyone recommend a good brand for ring replacement?

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Are you running 3x10 with the big ring taken off & a bash added for your 2x10?
    I had the 985 when running a 3 ring up front but had to go to 786 for a true 2x10 to work properly.
    (SRAM shifters)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    I'm runnin a Shimano XT 2 x 10 with the above Shimano FD. It has been working perfect to date. I'm also looking for changing my ring set up to a 22/34 combo. Can anyone recommend a good brand for ring replacement?
    You sure you want 22/34? I'm not a strong climber and I ride with flats which has less power and 24/26 is really good. Any lower and you're spinning on the spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    You sure you want 22/34? I'm not a strong climber and I ride with flats which has less power and 24/26 is really good. Any lower and you're spinning on the spot.
    You may be right, I think my biggest problem is lack of technique. Most of the time I look like a drunken sailor trying to walk a tight rope. I think what I need most is to hook up with someone experienced to look at my set up and give me some pointers on proper cycling techniques. Also A dropper is on my wish list. The local trail I ride has lots of short steep rock climbs and descents. Anyone in the Ottawa area want to help out a fellow knolly rider please pm me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    You may be right, I think my biggest problem is lack of technique. Most of the time I look like a drunken sailor trying to walk a tight rope. I think what I need most is to hook up with someone experienced to look at my set up and give me some pointers on proper cycling techniques. Also A dropper is on my wish list. The local trail I ride has lots of short steep rock climbs and descents. Anyone in the Ottawa area want to help out a fellow knolly rider please pm me.
    Same, my technique is not the best either. I get a lot of pedal strikes whereas my friends with same bottom bracket height are able to ratchet past those points. The only thing i use the lowest gear for is long extended smooth fire road climbs. Anything technical and I need to jump a gear or two up otherwise there's no momentum to get over things.