mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Check it out . . . 650b a fad that will die?

Perhaps a few of u cats will want to chime in on the 650b fad. Every manufacturer is rushing to come out with its version. Basically they are all trail bikes with reduced suspension. And when bike producers rush to production you get flaws and problems. Keep in mind that the majority of the reduced weight models out there are breaking in the 26 inch category, so expect the same or more in the 650b category. Think about the 29er fad. Everyone was rushing to the ocean like lemmings and then everyone that knows anything found out that the 29ers suck in anything tight and technical and underperform on moderate single track. People say u need less suspension with these new bikes, but as they get stress fractures it becomes clear that the 650b bikes are under gunned. If u can ride an all mountain trail and almost go through all 7 inches of travel on your fork, why would you want less suspension? It just means your body is taking more of the impact absorption and the frame, which is why the frames are breaking. I predict the trend will go back to heavier beefier bikes as the light weight and 650b trend ultimately under perform and show that they are disposable bikes. Tell me why I am right or wrong, if you think you have the capacity.

mtbr member
    Why are options such a bad thing in a sport like mtb? No really answer that question?

mtbr member
    Who cares! Ride what you like and works for you.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Troll....

He needed some time on the keys.

mtbr member
    I feel more comfortable riding tech on my 4" 29r then my 6" 26 bike. I think its all about setup & riding style.

RideDirt
    Dunno , dont care, and i only ride 26 . Ride what you want .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think 26 inch long travel bikes are here to stay. So you are in luck and can keep on buying the bikes which you seem to like!!! I don't think for the time being you will be forced to buy a 650b bike. Though, you might loose a few companies which you can choose product from.

I know this is an opinion piece but do you have any actual facts to prove that all of these bikes are breaking like you say they are?

Why post this in a forum of a company who is still developing a 650b bike instead of "rushing products to the market"?

Are you an unconventional Knolly fan boy? Are you trying to make Noel like you and get a free bike? Are you trying to create momentum to bring back the V-tach? I for one think there is space in the market for a 650b Free Radical. Noel, the big wheel trail market is totally over saturated! Cancel the Endorphin 650b and get into the hardtail market!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnies View Post
    Are you trying to create momentum to bring back the V-tach?
    This.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go to a bike town that has a lot of rental bikes and bike shops and you will be surprised at how many bike frames are failing. These are major brands where new bikes are breaking with moderate but daily use. You rarely hear about it unless you go to a bike shop with a fleet of numerous bikes. Nice thing about knolly is that knolly is the exception. Occasionally u hear about a frame cracking from an individual owner and you never really hear about the end result. Get all of those owners together and you see a real pattern. Nice thing about a bike shop is you have a bunch of the same bikes together in one place and you see the problems clearly. The bottom line is that lighter bikes are often not as strong and if u reduce the travel you increase the stress on the frame. That is how you get failures. As a consumer you have to see through the marketing and realize that although that new bike design is lighter and snappier, it is more likely to fail. The disposable bike is not a new concept. Knolly is awesome because they build strong and do not compromise on quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    A tweener requires only 13mm more tire clearance. I don't think that will cause
    Frames to buckle. Especially if it it a Knolly. I can't see how it affects design either. My DT had adjustable chain stay length and I am always trying various travel forks. These bikes are very versatile. I personally would prefer to just add the 13mm to my BB height to clear the rocks on my climbs. More choices for riders and more sales for makers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    When this issue raises its head (again) I think people forget that this was rider driven and industry provided and that is good thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    Go to a bike town that has a lot of rental bikes and bike shops and you will be surprised at how many bike frames are failing. These are major brands where new bikes are breaking ... The bottom line is that lighter bikes are often not as strong ...
    I live in a bike town and can verify this statement with regard to the Norco Killer B range. Their 650b range are failing dramatically, and the major store round our way confirmed yesterday that they have seen a 30% fail rate via linkage bolts snapping and linkage joints cracking/snapping. I asked why and they said the frame design is 'under gunned' then showed me the skinny tubing in question around the lower seatpost tube where the problems have arose. As its still the start of the season the situation could get bad for Norco over here. Has anyone else heard of other problematic 650b models?

As for the 'will 650b survive' question..the main interest is coming from Europe and it might be because they found themselves behind by not investing in 29ers and now they don’t want to make the same mistake twice. Once these companies invest heavily in 650b, the tech becomes 'their baby' and they wont want to give it up without a fight and reps over here believe this is all thats happening with Specialized and their obsessiveness/brainwashing with respect to 29ers.

I'm around 90% sure that 26, 650b and 29 are all here to stay permanently ...where 'brand a' will do 650b and 29, 'brand b' will do 29 only, 'brand c' will do only 26 and hardtails...and so on...and i personally think this is great news for us all, as it provides more choices.

I'd put all my money on this: 26 being permanent in the gravity segment (150mm+), and 650b and 29 dominating in the 80 – 140mm travel world, with XC hard tails and shorter travel trail bikes mainly 29 and the rest 27.5.

Although im only 90% sure all three will remain permanently, im 100% sure they will all be here for the next 10 years at least.

Just buy whats feels fun to ride and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by cfrench; 05-03-2013 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post

problem solved
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Delirious Tuck
    All wheel sizes are relevant to:
    -Who ever likes them
    -The manufacturers as long as they're profitable/economically viable

They are irrelevant to:
    -People who don't like other wheel sizes
    -People who don't get that there a different hammer weights and philips head screw driver types because not every job requires the same tool (you can also have a crappy tool even if its specs are right because manufacturer cuts corners)

Vtach is amazing bike, but, until 8' to flat is back in vogue, tough putt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    I live in a bike town and can verify this statement with regard to the Norco Killer B range. Their 650b range are failing dramatically, and the major store round our way confirmed yesterday that they have seen a 30% fail rate via linkage bolts snapping and linkage joints cracking/snapping. I asked why and they said the frame design is 'under gunned' then showed me the skinny tubing in question around the lower seatpost tube where the problems have arose. As its still the start of the season the situation could get bad for Norco over here. Has anyone else heard of other problematic 650b models?

As for the 'will 650b survive' question..the main interest is coming from Europe and it might be because they found themselves behind by not investing in 29ers and now they don’t want to make the same mistake twice. Once these companies invest heavily in 650b, the tech becomes 'their baby' and they wont want to give it up without a fight and reps over here believe this is all thats happening with Specialized and their obsessiveness/brainwashing with respect to 29ers.

I'm around 90% sure that 26, 650b and 29 are all here to stay permanently ...where 'brand a' will do 650b and 29, 'brand b' will do 29 only, 'brand c' will do only 26 and hardtails...and so on...and i personally think this is great news for us all, as it provides more choices.

I'd put all my money on this: 26 being permanent in the gravity segment (150mm+), and 650b and 29 dominating in the 80 – 140mm travel world, with XC hard tails and shorter travel trail bikes mainly 29 and the rest 27.5.

Although im only 90% sure all three will remain permanently, im 100% sure they will all be here for the next 10 years at least.

So many good points here...

Delirious Tuck
    I completely forgot to add this point.

Really at the end of the day, this guy will always be out there riding another wheel size and he'll be...
    I'm Faster Than You - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    I completely forgot to add this point.

Really at the end of the day, this guy will always be out there riding another wheel size and he'll be...
    I'm Faster Than You - YouTube

hahahah! brilliant! so camp