mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Chainstay pivot on chili

I cannot see any movement on this pivot no matter how hard I try. I think I recall seeing movement on my old DT. Thinking I might have a frozen pivot, I removed the bearings and everything is fine. I disconnected the shock and removed the wheel and played around with the linkages and discovered the other linkages do not allow this pivot to move (I am referring to movement that is blatantly visual. I will leave it to someone else to stare at the pivot while flying down the mountain).

I am wondering just how much this pivot contributes to the suspension of the bike. My DT seemed to bob more on the climbs and soak it up a bit beTter going down.

TSC
    Buehliever
    When I had my bike apart last week it moved. I'm never looking at that area when riding but I know my Lizard Skin chainstay cover works its way backwards on every ride so I know it doing some movement but I can't tell how much it moves. You need to get you one of these and then let us know.

Handlebar and Seat Post Bicycle Camera Mount - GoPro Ride HERO
    Last edited by TSC; 04-06-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    After some more testing - pushing against a stair, I am seeing movement. I was looking to see the pivot increase its angle under force but the opposite is occurring. I compared it to my wife's Titus with the same result. It's counter-intuitive to me. I would like to see a computer simulation. I know it works much better than the dw-link bike I had between my DT and my Chili.

Knomer
    Take the shock out and cycle the rear-end thru it's movement while pinching that rear pivot with your fingers. You will definitely feel the movement.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes