Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

CCDB Air CS: CS tune spec for Endos and Chilis

I just phoned over the pond and spoke to Cane Creek directly. I just don't know why there was so much mystery surrounding the CS tune for Chilis and Endos. Heres what CC said: There are 4 versions of the CS tune. The tune is determined by the diameter of the internal 'orifice' which allows the oil through when the Climb Switch is 'on'. The less oil that gets through the stiffer the low speed compression (i.e. more compression) . There are 4 diameters available. The version with the thinnest orifice is what you need for the Endorphin. The version with the 2nd thinnest orifice is what you need for the Chilcotin. The versions with wider orifices are for other suspension designs. The GENERIC tune that has been sent out as an aftermarket product is the version with the thinnest orifice, i.e. it is the version you need for the Endo
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Did they use the term 'thinnest' to describe the orifice? It's odd if so. ..typically an orifice is identified by it's cross sectional area or diameter so saying 'small' (in relative terms) would make sense but saying 'thin' could be construed as referring to the thickness of a shim and confuse people. (shims are dynamic under load vs an orifice which is static) Especially since a DB shock has sprung shims of varying size in the oil flow circuits.

That is interesting info though regarding what tune is appropriate for what bike. Appreciated.

mtbr member
    I agree with the mystery for company trying to sell a product they have confused everyone. I spoke with them a couple of times, Dom called them, and Chad called them - we all got different answers.

From my understand regardless of the tune, they are all heavily damped and not a few clicks of LSC and LSR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've just bought a Climb switch from TF Tuned so guess it must be a generic one. I've put it on my chilcotin and it feels good even though it's got the wrong orifice. Before I bought it I contacted Cane Creek about the settings and they didn't say anything about there being different tunes. Now I'm worried that the different tune would be better!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kark View Post
    Did they use the term 'thinnest' to describe the orifice? It's odd if so. ..typically an orifice is identified by it's cross sectional area or diameter so saying 'small' (in relative terms) would make sense but saying 'thin' could be construed as referring to the thickness of a shim and confuse people. (shims are dynamic under load vs an orifice which is static) Especially since a DB shock has sprung shims of varying size in the oil flow circuits.

That is interesting info though regarding what tune is appropriate for what bike. Appreciated.
    think of the orifice as a pipe, narrowest diameter let's the least oil through.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fizz View Post
    I've just bought a Climb switch from TF Tuned so guess it must be a generic one. I've put it on my chilcotin and it feels good even though it's got the wrong orifice. Before I bought it I contacted Cane Creek about the settings and they didn't say anything about there being different tunes. Now I'm worried that the different tune would be better!!
    Dude is right, all tunes are heavily damped and Cane Creek did also answer this question. CC said its unlikely people would be able to tell the difference if they went one diameter up.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's good to hear, plus TF Tuned set it up well for me.

mtbr member
    a little more to add on this. the internal orifice is spec'd in mm. EDIT: see post #10.
    Last edited by cfrench; 10-08-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Hello.
    I saw two models of CS, regular and extra volume.
    I think the right for the chilcotin is the regular, no?

Thanks

mtbr member
    hey graypaw, its the regular can for both the endo and chili.

the generic tune is spec'd as such: 0.8mm compression and 0.8 rebound. this is the endo version and is fine for the chili aswell. CC say you could also use the 1.0mm compression and 0.8 rebound version on the chili.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post

the generic tune is spec'd as such: 0.8mm compression and 0.8 rebound. this is the endo version and is fine for the chili aswell. CC say you could also use the 1.0mm compression and 0.8 rebound version on the chili.
    Thanks for the answer.

The other thing sounds so confused for me. I will ask the seller about the defaults shock tunes.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7500 usando Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    I asked canee creek.

"Other question this time about the CS. I read a lot of confused information about the model for the chilcotin. I think with the regular can, no HV. I saw only two flavours for CS for 26" or 29" wheels (different sizes of each model) but no more specifications about the base tunes. What is the exact model for the chilcotin?"

"As for the Knolly, they do not require the XV Can except in a few cases, lighter, less aggressive riders have used the XV Can to reach full travel and have more tuning in the HSC. Use our fit finder for details on sizing."

mtbr member
    Hello.
    I could sell my CCDB air and buy the CS.
    I find that:
    Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS Dämpfer 2014 - mountainbikes.net

The test translation didn't show me enough information to decide if that model in the size 200x57 fits well to knolly chico. I have doubts about the model, no the size

that's it right for my chilco?

Thanks.

Yebo Numzaan
    Correct. 200x57 = 7.875x2.25
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Correct. 200x57 = 7.875x2.25
    OK, thanks.
    They confirmed the other models available aren't compatibles.

mtbr member
    Hello.
    Finally I got mine but in the cane creek website base tune for the chilcotin isn't available yet.
    My model is the 2012 and I put the same base tune for the ccdb air. I put 2 more clicks in the LSC because I felt need more help to climbing and I let the SAG 30% a bit less than the recommended 33.3%

May be someone can share his setup to compare, I weight 230 Lb ready for the battle

Sorry I forgot, I changed the standard needle of the rear shock to the amachete Roller Kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Has anyone swapped from a CTD kashima fox float to a CCDBA CS on an endo. Is it worth making the swap or not?

Also what are TF Tuned like to deal with. I was looking at them to buy from but don't know anybody who has used them.

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by trickywhu View Post
    Has anyone swapped from a CTD kashima fox float to a CCDBA CS on an endo. Is it worth making the swap or not?
    I just recently switched (3 weeks) to the DBair CS on my Endo and have been extremely pleased! Super plush when you want it to be and pedals well even with CS off. CS works great and gives you the feeling the shock has been boosted up a couple of PSI. CCDBA (with or without CS) is a game changer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    TF Tuned are great to deal with. I've used them to buy a CCBB Air CS and Pike forks. Both times the prices were very competitive but the main reason for using them is that they strip stuff first to check everything is working well and do a set up for you based on information you give them. Would recommend them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

If im correct, these diameters only affects the Climb Switch feature?

mtbr member

I understood what is that, the tune for the CS system. In my next revision I will tune it to a more compression and rebound to help me to climb up better. thanks a lot

mtbr member
    More information. the tune numbers are engraved in the HSC and HSR dials.
    A doubt, less number is CS more firm?
    What is the recommended CS tune for the chilcotin? 1,0 in both dials?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by graypaw View Post
    More information. the tune numbers are engraved in the HSC and HSR dials.
    A doubt, less number is CS more firm?
    What is the recommended CS tune for the chilcotin? 1,0 in both dials?
    yes
    1.0 compression and 0.8 rebound on the chili
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    yes
    1.0 compression and 0.8 rebound on the chili
    Thanks for the verification!
    A curiosity, Do you know the minimum and the maximum tune value?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by graypaw View Post
    Thanks for the verification!
    A curiosity, Do you know the minimum and the maximum tune value?
    0.8 1.0 1.2 1.4
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast