mtbr member
    Nov 2011

CCDB Air or Coil on Chilcotin ?

I do alot of DH, and i like to jump, i do enduro sometimes.

Which shock would be better?

Thanks,
    Fredb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fredb View Post

Thanks,
    Fredb
    Ive ridden both on my Chilcotin quite a bit. The CCDB air is awesome, but the CCDB coil still beats it out if you ask me.

I recently put a Ti spring on my CCDB coil and was actually surprised I could feel a difference between the two springs. It seems to be able to track the ground better with the ti spring.

Mark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Tough call.

To be totally honest, I am not a fan of air. Love the feeling of a ti coil shock (I don't find steel springs as supple).

However, I am very impressed with the DB Air on my Chilcotin. Feels almost as good as my DH rig (with a custom tuned shock). Of course this could be a result of frame design too!

If I was pedalling less on my Chili, I'd probably go coil...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I live in the most pedally place in the world--Houston, TX--and have a DB coil with steel spring on my Chili. It's not bad if you're in good shape, but definitely would not want to pedal my heavier build around TX trails if I rode less.

As far as coil vs. air, I have no idea, other than my coil is awesome. Only other shock I would consider is the Avy Woodie. If I was serious enough about going fast, i.e. competitively enduro racing, I would probably be on a lighter bike like the Endorphin with an air suspension.

mtbr member
    The way you describe it, go with Coil. Better yet, see if you can get the frame sans shock and send a Fox VanRC/DHX5 to Avy.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredb View Post

Thanks,
    Fredb
    Really sounds to me like you are spend more time on the bike losing elevation then gaining elevation. If I was primarily (80% or more) lift accessed/shuttling I would have opted for the coil CCDB on my Chilcotin. I earn my elevation and am more then happy with the CCDB air - it really works well on this frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been riding the CCDB air can for a year now and though it is an excellent AM shock i'm thinking of switching to the coil. The air is very good in almost every way but i've ridden my friends delirium with coil and I think the coil is that much better. When going downhill the coil is just so much more planted and gives alot more confidence.

RideDirt
    Coil hands down , its just 2 different worlds ...

mtbr member
    for your intended riding style I think coil is your best option ;-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Coming from air, I will never go back with the chili. I have zero experience with the DB coil but as you will see around the Knolly forum, find a van rc or DHX and get it avy'd. Feels sooooooo good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Made the switch to coil and it is much better(CCDB air to coil titanium).

Feels much better planted on the downs. Before I was fussing with the rear now I don't even know it's there. And surprisingly coil is even better on the ups. Technical that is. It somehow is a lot more planted, doesn't hook on ledges and just gives you that tractor traction. Love the coil!