Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Carbon Warden!!!

Sneak peak video posted on Knolly Facebook....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152947194546688
    Last edited by Couch_Surfer; 08-25-2015 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer View Post
    Sneak peak video posted on Knolly Facebook.... Looks like a carbon warden to me!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152947194546688
    Nice catch!

Is the rear carbon too? (Difficult to tell from the vid)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Yebo Numzaan
    Did this video just break the internet?
    I support EMBA

Yebo Numzaan
    Looks like a new rear end with internal cable routing (derailuer)...so possibly carbon. Such a teaser video....camera must have been hidden in someones trouser leg or something

Sweet.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Schweeeeet. Hope they're ready to drop! When does Eurobike kick off?

Love that Black/Dayglo color scheme. Still has adjustable geometry = Like. Yeah, tough to tell if the rear is aluminum or carbon but I don't see any welds at the yokes.

We need some numbers. I'm assuming they're pretty close to the alloy version, but would be interesting to know for sure.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    When does Eurobike kick off?
    Tomorrow! Just found my Chilcotin replacement!

Yebo Numzaan
    go look for your checkbook now
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It looks so pretty. Knolly 'must' offer it stock with the DB Coil CS (or miss a trick, imo). I might sell my Chili too haha.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    go look for your checkbook now
    Uhg, next year is not a good year to be having a kid...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Great, sell enough of them to pay for new Delirium molds!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    this will cause much delirium on the MTBR Knolly forum. looking forward to it (and the bike too...)!

Braaap
    The decal/paint looks awesome! Congrats Knolly!

Those seat stays with internal routing sure look carbon to me.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Looks damn good. Definitely a carbon rear end. Wondering if the linkage saw any carbon bits or if they are sticking with the 3D.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Yebo Numzaan
    The video definitely skipped the details...

How long till tomorrow in Zurich?
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Looks like a carbon rear triangle to me as well.

Now for the 29er!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Carbon seatstays. Aluminum chainstays (allows for short chainstays AND clearance for biggish tires, 36T chainring and a front derailleur).

Overall it looks bloody awesome. Now just have to save some pesos.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My kitchen reno just got put back another year. Just gotta figure out how to explain that to mrs Surfer.

mtbr member
    Schweeeeet. Hope they're ready to drop! When does Eurobike kick off?

Love that Black/Dayglo color scheme. Still has adjustable geometry = Like. Yeah, tough to tell if the rear is aluminum or carbon but I don't see any welds at the yokes.

We need some numbers. I'm assuming they're pretty close to the alloy version, but would be interesting to know for sure.
    KRob it will look nice next to your new RFX. I just hope knolly don't take a year to get it to market like they did with the 27.5 Endo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post

Those seat stays with internal routing sure look carbon to me.
    Good catch. I didn't notice the internal routing port on the upper seat stay on the first ten times I watched the video. Agree. Most likely carbon seat stays.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    KRob it will look nice next to your new RFX.
    Ha ha. Correction. One of those is going to look really good next to my carbon Endorphin.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    WOWZWERS!!! Might be time to sell off whats out in the garage... I love that color, hopefully that is what is released to the public!

%$#$*!
    My life just got more complicated. Insurgent, rfx, or carbon warden. Can't wait to see the specs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    My life just got more complicated. Insurgent, rfx, or carbon warden. Can't wait to see the specs.

haha - a lot of good looking bikes coming from the smaller brands - it is nice to see!

mtbr member
    Ha ha. Correction. One of those is going to look really good next to my carbon Endorphin.

Or....carbon Burner? lol
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Knomer
    Very observant! We kept the stays alloy for a very specific reason(as you mention): typical MASSIVE Knolly tire clearance, clearance for 38t enduro front chainring, and clearance for front derailleur. All this in a chainstay at 16.9" means you can't squeeze a bladder int the skinny space on the yoke to do carbon. Weight savings on a carbon stay does not overrule these other mandatory features, in our opinion.

Specs here, enjoy!

Carbon Warden!!!-2015-08-26-11.57.09.jpg
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Very observant! We kept the stays alloy for a very specific reason(as you mention): typical MASSIVE Knolly tire clearance, clearance for 38t enduro front chainring, and clearance for front derailleur. All this in a chainstay at 16.9" means you can't squeeze a bladder int the skinny space on the yoke to do carbon. Weight savings on a carbon stay does not overrule these other mandatory features, in our opinion.

Specs here, enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-26 11.57.09.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	1011038
    Killing it here guys. nice work.
    Carbon Warden!!!-11927459_10152948043346688_3061672849916455831_o.jpg
    Carbon Warden!!!-11924803_10152948088181688_4259150016246356129_o.jpg
    Carbon Warden!!!-11224290_10152948043316688_6038136735190395237_o.jpgCarbon Warden!!!-11924366_10152948043196688_3978170302927245015_o.jpgCarbon Warden!!!-11053699_10152948043046688_4852522260808092133_o.jpgCarbon Warden!!!-11934509_10152948043181688_1730554027304446308_o.jpg

Unit 91
    Wow!!! Beautiful bike! I'm digging the down tube protector and the cable routing coming out of the seat tube. Typical Knolly quality and attention to detail!
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Threaded BB FTW! Looks awesome!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Yebo Numzaan
    Congratulations Guys - absolutely awesome. Cant wait!!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Sweetness here-

mtbr member
    Love the cable exit port, so clean!

mtbr member
    This bike is so sick! Couple questions. There are two pretty tight turns there in the cables/hoses. Obviously not an issue with the hydro brakes but what about shifting? It doesn't bind up the cable too much? Also, how confident are you guys that these will be available to ship before late next year? I want this bike but I can't wait until fall next year to get it.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    This bike is so sick! Couple questions. There are two pretty tight turns there in the cables/hoses. Obviously not an issue with the hydro brakes but what about shifting? It doesn't bind up the cable too much? Also, how confident are you guys that these will be available to ship before late next year? I want this bike but I can't wait until fall next year to get it.
    No binding of the housings anywhere on the bike. I assume you mean inside the tubes where it swoops up from downtube into seattube? All good there.

These are slated for Q1 delivery, with no cable routing issues standing in our way. The only thing that could delay this timeline is some sort of tweak in design as a result of the current prototype/real world testing phase.

Did I mention that the carbon version has M8 upper shock hardware?
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

%$#$*!
    Dusty, wondering if the kinematics have changed at all between the AL warden and the carbon one? Have you snapped up the pedaling performance or made it closer to the chili? Love the geometry and cable routing. Front runner for me for next bike!

mtbr member
    Wow. Looks beautiful! All the new carbon bikes sure are nice. Too bad our CDN$ is crapping out right now. $3395USD = $4500CDN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Love the cable exit port, so clean!

Until the first ride after its rained

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any word on a Canadian MSRP? Cause if we go by exchange rate, the frame instantly becomes affordable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Perhaps for better rock/chain protection as well?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    She's a beauty! Congrats Noel and the whole Knolly crew. I'm sure it was hard fought to bring this to market. With so many options in this category on the market now, the apparent attention to detail will surely set this rig apart from the pack. Nice work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Yup. Glad I have some time to think about my Chilcotin replacement. Those three, plus the GG Megatrail are on the top of my list as well.

This first look just posted on PB has a few more details and some great detailed photos.

Those new links are super sharp. I thought maybe they were carbon as well when I first saw them, but no word about that. Must be aluminum.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Braaap
    That geo chart scared me for a moment! 18.3" reach on an XL...must be a typo as the large also shows 18.3". About 5mm longer reach in all sizes.

Nice to see an m8 used on the top shock hardware. However, same size top and bottom would keep things simple.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    That geo chart scared me for a moment! 18.3" reach on an XL...must be a typo as the large also shows 18.3". About 5mm longer reach in all sizes.
    I thought they said geo was same as alloy version but you're right, the reach is .2" longer and ETT length is .2" longer as well in the size Large.

If folks don't like how the new RFX fits in size large, you could go with a medium WardenC and still have longer reach/tt (along with shorter CS).
    Last edited by KRob; 08-26-2015 at 02:00 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    If I don't like how the new RFX fits in size large, I could go with a medium WardenC and still be longer.
    How do people get around the much shorter seat-post when sizing down? Sure the reach would be the same/similar between a L RFX and M WardenC, but the seatpost length is substantially different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    How do people get around the much shorter seat-post when sizing down? Sure the reach would be the same/similar between a L RFX and M WardenC, but the seatpost length is substantially different.
    True. An inch and a half shorter seat tube could potentially be a problem for folks with longer inseams but still wanting the shorter tt/reach numbers of the medium. Having a seat tube that's too long is usually a bigger issue.

Having said that, I don't think I'll have any problems with the large Warden with a short stem (although I am a bit in between sizes at 5' 11"), just pointing that out to highlight how short the reach is on the RFX. Some folks were giving those of us who were wishing for a bit longer reach on the RFX some grief over on the Turner board.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-26-2015 at 03:15 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    There are other boards?
    "My car of choice is a 12 year old civic that runs on the tears of my life choices." - redditor

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    This is a great question and was my biggest complaint about this bike. Rented it for a day in Utah last year and the pedaling performance was lacking enough that I took it off my short list. The DBInline and nearly full carbon chassis will indeed help with the pedaling efficiency, but I suspect this is as good as it can get with a fully active 160mm system.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser View Post
    This is a great question and was my biggest complaint about this bike. Rented it for a day in Utah last year and the pedaling performance was lacking enough that I took it off my short list. The DBInline and nearly full carbon chassis will indeed help with the pedaling efficiency, but I suspect this is as good as it can get with a fully active 160mm system.

Regards,

EndUser
    Guess it depends on what you're comparing it against, and if it was setup properly. I've seen people pedal these up 3,000 ft of logging roads, as well as up trails that looked like a staircase, and a lack of pedaling efficiency was never mentioned.
    "My car of choice is a 12 year old civic that runs on the tears of my life choices." - redditor

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    I liked the bike enough and this is not a diss. We're splitting hairs (and to each his own, right?), but this system felt less "responsive" to pedaling input vs. other short bar systems (VPP, DW). After demoing several types of full suspension at 150mm+ travel, the fully active systems wallowed more in the travel while climbing vs. the other systems I've ridden. This is not to say they don't climb well... it's just feels different. I own both types of systems and each has pros and cons.... however, the Warden didn't climb the way I wished it to and took it off my list. Here in lies the importance to demo a bike before purchase. We all have different requirements from our machines.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member
    Having said that, I don't think I'll have any problems with the large Warden, just pointing that out to highlight how short the reach is on the RFX. Some folks were giving those of us who pointed that out some grief over on the Turner board.

I think people are buying into the long, slack, low hype far too much. The RFX has almost an inch longer TT than my 2012 5-Spot, an inch shorter seat-tube, an inch longer reach and 1.5+ degrees slacker headtube. That would be more than enough for my liking. The RFX may be 'short' in respect to the others, but Id take its geometry over the 'long' some other companies are using.

mtbr member
    Looks like another really nice Knolly.

As it has the same geometry as its non-ferrous counterpart, the primary difference will be the approx 1 lb (so that means under 1 lb) of weight savings. I like the idea of saving 1 lb of frame weight VS 10lbs of fat a$$ weight as I will not have to stop drinking beer or whiskey.

Noel, be expecting a call from me. I will take into account the 9 hour time difference and not call you too early in the moring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I think people are buying into the long, slack, low hype far too much. The RFX has almost an inch longer TT than my 2012 5-Spot, an inch shorter seat-tube, an inch longer reach and 1.5+ degrees slacker headtube. That would be more than enough for my liking. The RFX may be 'short' in respect to the others, but Id take its geometry over the 'long' some other companies are using.
    Maybe. I've ridden the Ibis HD3 and its numbers are almost identical to RFX and I could easily live with it in size large (60mm stem). Same was true with my 5010c which also had more traditional (shorter) reach/tt numbers.

However, the other thing to keep in mind is the stack. The stack on the RFX is over an inch higher than the Warden which midigates some of the difference in reach. Noel likes long reach, short stack bikes and feels like they have some advantages for aggressive and steep riding. My experience riding bikes like that confirms his preference. But you're right, any trend can be taken too far. How long is too long? How short can you go on a CS length before controlling the front end on climbs becomes untenable. How wide can bars really be before they're too wide?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Maybe. I've ridden the Ibis HD3 and its numbers are almost identical to RFX and I could easily live it in size large. Same was true with my 5010c which also had more traditional (shorter) reach/tt numbers.

However, the other thing to keep in mind is the stack. The stack on the RFX is over an inch higher than the Warden which midigates some of the difference in reach. Noel likes long reach, short stack bikes and feels like they have some advantages for aggressive and steep riding. My experience riding bikes like that confirms his preference. But you're right, any trend can be taken too far. How long is too long? How short can you go on a CS length before controlling the front end on climbs becomes untenable. How wide can bars really be before they're too wide?
    This one might be pushing it to the too long territory:

Nikolai.
    Forward geometry plus.
    77 or 77.7 degree ST
    Looong reach 485mm for the smallest size. This is size XL with many other brands using the conventional geometry.

Over 126mm WB for their medium
    http://shop.nicolai.net/index.php/ion-gpi.html

Well Biked
    The wheelbase of the Warden seems to have increased a bit, along with its reach, which I think positions it a bit more toward the Enduro market. I'm wondering now about it's manners as a trail bike on tighter single track trails. I guess I'll have to wait for the ride reports.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm 5'9.5" on a medium Warden and am currently experimenting with a 35mm stem. A slight increase in reach is probably a good thing IMO as I am digging the 35mm length. I think that bikes like the Nikolai above are needed to find what is too long. 6 months on my Warden and there is no way I can justify the $$$ for a carbon frame right now. It is a pound lighter, and probably stiffer but this pensioner will be on aluminum for a while yet.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Damn I like it all! I'm glad they went longer. I still can't wait to get my ENDO.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    The wheelbase of the Warden seems to have increased a bit, along with its reach, which I think positions it a bit more toward the Enduro market. I'm wondering now about it's manners as a trail bike on tighter single track trails. I guess I'll have to wait for the ride reports.
    I have a chilcotin 160mm HD and a Mach 6. Ride very tight, twisty, rocky, rooty trails with steep ups and downs. I can tell you that although a lot of people think the Mach 6 is too short in reach it helps in the tight stuff. On more wide open trails I'd be happier with more reach. I think the new RFX numbers are good for me in a Large and at 5'11" the large Mach 6 with 50mm stem fits great. I'd be torn between medium and large in the new warden. But I've found personally knolly's to feel slightly smaller than the numbers suggest. KRob when you said you loved the Mach 6 you ride the Medium. Have you ever tried a large Mach 6? I can't imagine liking the fit on a medium. And now you think the RFX is too short ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    KRob when you said you loved the Mach 6 you ride the Medium. Have you ever tried a large Mach 6? I can't imagine liking the fit on a medium. And now you think the RFX is too short ?
    On paper, yes. Shorter than I was hoping for, but I suspect it will feel fine when riding it. Like I said, the RFX and HD3 numbers are very similar and I felt right at home on the large HD3 with a 60mm stem.

I'm sure the large Mach 6 would fit me better than the medium but for the type of rides I've done on it, the medium felt OK. It did have a 70mm stem, felt a bit cramped on seated climbing but felt fine when standing in the attack position for descending. That's true for most medium bikes I ride. I fit them pretty well, but the large is usually better for long seated climbs (which I have a bunch of around here).... and I can run a shorter stem with the large.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    wow... fantastic bike... too bad i can't make it to friedrichshafen.
    but this bike makes it easier to drop the idea of having a delirium. so sexy...

mtbr member
    What size is shown? I'm wondering about water bottle fitment. Also is it correct Inline and DPS only shock options?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Yebo Numzaan
    I believe Large was first out the mould and M will be next. My medium W will not take a water bottle with a CCDBA CS...the shock reservoir interferes with the bottom of the water bottle (about an inch+ of interference).

I just ordered a bottle from backbottle - which has a tapered bottom - ironically to fit into the back of your jersey more efficiently...however i am thinking might solve this problem. I will be able to confirm in a day or two.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    I believe Large was first out the mould and M will be next. My medium W will not take a water bottle with a CCDBA CS...the shock reservoir interferes with the bottom of the water bottle (about an inch+ of interference).

I just ordered a bottle from backbottle - which has a tapered bottom - ironically to fit into the back of your jersey more efficiently...however i am thinking might solve this problem. I will be able to confirm in a day or two.
    Thanks, thats my only real gripe with my medium warden, I heard that if you run an inline upside down on the medium you can fit it but I have a CS. I tried to zip tie a cage to my down tube, which works for awhile till you use full travel on both ends one to many time and it rips off.

I've been thinking of just getting one of the dakine fannys with a water bottle holder but its just not the same.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the "Warden vs RFX" threads are going to really get hot this fall and winter!

At one time I was recommended to ride a med. Warden with a 50mm stem (or less) and I'm a few dots over 5'6". The new Endo TT length is longer, looks like the new CW is more in lines with the newer sizing.

I'm really looking forward to these bikes! I may not make it to dirt demo next month but I'm planning a quick trip to Turner in a few weeks.
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Sounds like the "Warden vs RFX" threads are going to really get hot this fall and winter!

At one time I was recommended to ride a med. Warden with a 50mm stem (or less) and I'm a few dots over 5'6". The new Endo TT length is longer, looks like the new CW is more in lines with the newer sizing.

I'm really looking forward to these bikes! I may not make it to dirt demo next month but I'm planning a quick trip to Turner in a few weeks.
    This - time to market will likely determine it for me though.

mtbr member
    If I were looking to get one or the other, the time to market and the fact I have a Turner frame for trade in would likely make the decision for me. Theoretically, I can get an RFX in Octoberish for $1000 less than the Warden (with the trade in).

mtbr member
    Yeah that trade in is huge.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There's some photos of the carbon bike on mtb-news.de (along with a test ride on the new Delirium). I like the way the cables exit out of the seat tube. Looks very nice!

Five5hot

MTB News: Carbon Warden

Here you go fellas.

https://youtu.be/ccvyHkJIHtU

mtbr member
    Perhaps for better rock/chain protection as well?
    Yes. I have protective tape on my carbon bike's CS's and it's taken some hits for sure. CS are an area that get abused pretty good in normal riding.

OTOH the way the Warden's suspension is setup at least you can replace one piece at a time if you damaged it vs. the whole rear triangle on other bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Time to cancel the HD3 order.

The Range placeholder will have to do for another 8 months I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    the hd3 and warden are two very different bikes, have you had a test ride on both?

mtbr member
    I just hope we can get this bike before next summer. A one year wait is brutal.

mtbr member
    I just hope we can get this bike before next summer. A one year wait is brutal.
    1st qtr 2016

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    This one might be pushing it to the too long territory:

Nikolai.
    Forward geometry plus.
    77 or 77.7 degree ST
    Looong reach 485mm for the smallest size. This is size XL with many other brands using the conventional geometry.

Over 126mm WB for their medium
    NICOLAI ION GPI
    Negative length stems can't be too far off...
    Supply Side Jesusnomisist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBokeh View Post
    Here you go fellas.

https://youtu.be/ccvyHkJIHtU
    @1:40 Noel drops an EH!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    @1:40 Noel drops an EH!
    didn't get that, what is an EH?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themistoklisv View Post
    didn't get that, what is an EH?
    A Canadian-ism.

A tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssCZWBtwUTI
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Warden no. HD3 yes. Owned a Chilcotin and have lots of time on an Endorphin.

I really liked the HD all around, but prefer the suspension feel of Knolly better.

While I rather a scalpel over a chainsaw (endorphin vs Chilcotin), a 160mm fork is a must.

While I imagine the HD3 have have a slight edge in what I like vs the Warden, I'd rather support my locals. Also cross boarder customer service with boutique brands can be a bit of a pain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    nice, the wardens lower but the hd3 can take a bottle

mtbr member
    It appears the new Warden can take a bottle too I thought. I thought I saw cage screws on the inside of the down tube.

mtbr member
    Even the alloy version has them. Problem is clearance.

mtbr member
    I use a side load cage in my Mach 4c which has super tight clearance and it works fine for me.

mtbr member
    It appears the new Warden can take a bottle too I thought. I thought I saw cage screws on the inside of the down tube.
    depends on size and shock choice. From what I've experienced a medium alloy with a DBACS you can't fit a water bottle. Others on here with a medium and Inline shock can fit one if the shock is flipped. But this not confirmed. From the looks of the large with a Inline a water bottle with fit no problem. Other shocks I don't know but I believe that they are only offering Inline and DPS. I hope but also doubt that with a piggyback shock you would be able to fit a water bottle on a medium.

mtbr member
    Yes, true. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Fox DPS to keep as a backup shock and maybe eventually have it custom tuned. I will almost immediately buy a piggyback shock like DBACS or if Fox releases something with both HSC and LSC plus a "climb" switch. There have been pit shots of such a thing from EWS races but who knows if it will make it to market. I typically ride with a hydration pack as I do a better job of hydrating that way so the water bottle is not a deal breaker for me.

Knomer
    Size large is shown, you can't see the bottle mounts because they are covered with custom carbon plugs, and DPS, DBI, and DBACS are the shock choices.

Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    What size is shown? I'm wondering about water bottle fitment. Also is it correct Inline and DPS only shock options?

Yebo Numzaan
    The backbottle arrived - and with its angled bottom, fits in the triangle in front of the CCDB CS perfectly. That is without a water bottle cage however and once you add that - which sits on top of the cables, this raises the bottle more than a cm and it no longer fits.

The wierd shape of the bottle caused issues with the WB cage

Carbon Warden!!!-20963234956_f544712906_z.jpg
    I support EMBA

J:
    Speaking of, what's shock size on this puppy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have had my Warden for just over a year and have been trying different water bottle set ups. This year I have found one that works. My bike is a large frame with a CCDBCS. I've used this set up in both slack and steep shock positions. note: pictures are in the steep setting

Specialized Zee II cage RS opening
    Specialized water bottle.

The cage needs to be modified. This is so it works in the steep position. Dremel or round file a half moon.

Pour 1 cup of boiling water in the water bottle and let it heat the plastic up. Pour the water out and use your thumb to push the bottle in to make clearance for the climb switch. With your thumb holding the position, run the water bottle under cold water. This will retain the shape. Test fit. If you don't get it right the first time, no big deal, pour more hot water in and the bottle will return to original shape. Reform and fit again.

Once fitted, I made a jiffy marker to mark the position of the bottle in the right position. This will make it easy to replace the bottle by just having a quick look.

Hope this helps all that want to run a cage and bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Warden!!!-wb-mount-3-.jpg  

Carbon Warden!!!-wb-mount-5-.jpg  

Carbon Warden!!!-wb-mount-1-.jpg  

Carbon Warden!!!-wb-mount-2-.jpg  

Carbon Warden!!!-wb-mount-4-.jpg  

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Good idea there Muttonchops, shame it didn't quite work. I haven't carried a pack in about 3 years now unless I'm schlepping my SLR so this is a hot topic for me.

Pilsner1 - good stuff! Wonder if it works on a med???

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    ha this is what i was planning on doing but with a hot air gun, boiling water is a much better idea!

Yebo Numzaan
    Nice Pilsener.

I tried this with hot air but was unsuccessful - likely have to create a much bigger dent in the bottle...as you can see by looking at my pic.

Is there a 'sliding' water bottle cage...meaning you can mount it to the frame but adjust its position upwards (away from the shock)...(e.g. an inch). Instead of eyelet bolt holes....might just need a slot that you can put the bolt thru and slide.

Also...I believe i just need a water bottle receiver (that matches the curve of the bottle) and something i can wrap velcro tape around. I only drink when stopped...so can easily undo two velcro straps to release the bottle.

I carry my pack for big days (often have my FF or tools in the pack) - but often do local sub three hour rides and wouldn't mind water for occasional hot day in Seattle.

Has anyone seen these tools? Big shout out to this Bellingham company.
    About
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Looks like Dusty has been riding the new Warden around the Italian Alps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Warden!!!-warden-italy.jpg  

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Looks like Dusty has been riding the new Warden around the Italian Alps.
    Rough life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Rough life.
    Anyone that has to put up with mountain bikers as customers deserves some job related perks.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Anyone that has to put up with mountain bikers as customers deserves some job related perks.
    Ha ha. No kidding. We're a whiny, demanding bunch aren't we? Dusty deserves every job related perk he gets.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    try this bottle set-up ...it worked for my bike and its smaller space

Evil Bikes: The Following – User Review - Page 28- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Seriously!
    fitting a specific ENDURO-BOTTLES is a deal breaker for this awesome bike?
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    try this bottle set-up ...it worked for my bike and its smaller space

Evil Bikes: The Following – User Review - Page 28- Mtbr.com
    That looks lame. Just get a side loader cage . Works great on the Warden...

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    That looks lame. Just get a side loader cage . Works great on the Warden...
    And you're on a medium right...?
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are Shorelines no longer the UK importer? Is there a new importer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast