Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

can anyone contact knolly? cracked my 3rd delirium frame and i am desperate ahhh!

i'm guessing they have a design and or manufacturing flaw in the 09 delirium t. i have had 3 crack at the seat tube x top tube x gusset tube weld (upper). my first frame cracked in 2 months. the next cracked in a year, and this last went 2 whole weeks before that weld gave. brand new warranty replacement frame.

it's without question the best frame i have ever ridden. and they have been very nice to deal with. i was hoping this was just my (very) bad luck until this a.m. when the third frame died.

they are moving or something and are currently difficult to reach. i called both the local number and the toll free one with no luck. it takes them 3-4 days to return an email at the earliest. i'm glad they are busy, but i am desperate as this was my back up frame, and i have no ride ahhhhhh! i am hopelessly addicted to riding.

if you know these guys and could call them for me, i would appreciate it.

you can pm me or better: my number in arizona usa is: nine 2 eight - two 8 2- 55 two one. my email is blacks at npgcable dot com

i'd like to get a frame in mail as soon as possible.

thank you.

Delirious Tuck
    Maybe PM Dusty, he's on here regularly and might be able to help.

Feel your pain.

mtbr member
    thanks bro.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by toothoogre View Post
    thanks bro.
    PM returned. Shoot me an email.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    done. my thanks.

mtbr member

contact made thank you.

i was almost immediately contacted by dusty bottoms who sent my plea on to knolly.

thank you dusty for lightening aid.

banned
    maybe you should move to something bigger like a V tach
    are you doing a josh bender tour ?????

mtbr member
    What size is your frame? I have a front/rear triangle (no linkage) you can have. I cracked mine and had it welded. I have moved onto the Delirium. It is a medium ano grey.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member

this is about a big as i can take.

Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga View Post

i am at my weight limit for this terrain. it's a bit under 44#. lots of climbing at which the delirium excels.

used bullits through '05 at the rate of one a year. then turner's sixpack (horst) which lasted 2 years.

does knolly heat treat post weld? it's essential for a durable frame.

this is the one that just cracked (in 2 weeks). '02 7" boxxer in front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can anyone contact knolly? cracked my 3rd delirium frame and i am desperate ahhh!-blue-knolly.jpg  

Last edited by toothoogre; 08-29-2011 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member

mine was a medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    What size is your frame? I have a front/rear triangle (no linkage) you can have. I cracked mine and had it welded. I have moved onto the Delirium. It is a medium ano grey.
    do you mean you moved onto the new delirium?

this pic is the green one that cracked in july. got a year out of this frame. that's about 3000 miles +/- depending on the year.

is this problem a design issue or manufacturing flaw(s) or both?

did you get yours re heat treated post weld?

what did it cost?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can anyone contact knolly? cracked my 3rd delirium frame and i am desperate ahhh!-dsc00001.jpg  

Last edited by toothoogre; 08-29-2011 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member

Yes, they are heat treated post weld. I am betting the problems have something to do with why they are choosing to relocate manufacturing to new facilities.

mtbr member
    So, if I read correctly...you broke 3 Santa Cruz Bullits (one per year), a Turner Six Pack, and 3 Knolly Deleriums?

And you think it is a manufacturing issue? Even if it is, the fact is you are hard on frames. So, either you a.) learn how to ride smoother (may not be possible--I have a feeling you are doing some gnarly stuff!!), or b.) get a stronger frame.

Breaking a frame nearly every year simply means you need a stronger frame, unless you don't mind replacing them every year. Screw weight. Put a couple extra pounds into the frame and take it off elsewhere. 2 pounds in a frame will make it much stronger. If I were you I would search out a VTACH if you can find one, or some other Freeride specific super burly frame.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Cannonball!
    My frame would break trying to hold that Azonic Loveseat up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

if they didn't, they wouldn't have got anywhere near this point in reputation, nor would any bike builder
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just wondering how many bones you have that may be manufacturing defects? I assume you've broken some of them as well along the way? is there any fame you've ridden that didn't have a short life? I'm just jealous that I'll never ride that hard, getting to old. but seriously get a V-tach!

1+1
    going for a ride
    i am at my weight limit for this terrain. it's a bit under 44#. lots of climbing at which the delirium excels.

used bullits through '05 at the rate of one a year. then turner's sixpack (horst) which lasted 2 years.

I'll say you need a vtach and a lighter/smaller seat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Take a look at a Cove STD, that might be right up your alley.

mtbr member
    do you mean you moved onto the new delirium?

this pic is the green one that cracked in july. got a year out of this frame. that's about 3000 miles +/- depending on the year.

is this problem a design issue or manufacturing flaw(s) or both?

did you get yours re heat treated post weld?

what did it cost?

There was a problem with the welds on a few frames in that area. It is hard to keep the integrity of the tube when welding to it and the stress that it takes from the seatpost. They have fixed that with a brace accross the area on the new frames. I had an aluminum welder weld and rheem the seattube where it cracked. $60, but it burnt out the ano coloration. I am currently on the (N) version Delirium.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    if they didn't, they wouldn't have got anywhere near this point in reputation, nor would any bike builder
    the bullits were a blast to ride, but always felt so ratty right out of the box. the top tube was so fragile, so i wondered if they heat treated post weld.

the turner sixpack was glassine by compare. i could feel the difference at once which i attributed to the extra care the frame got in the making, and explains the relative longevity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga View Post
    nah. but i do ride a lot of miles in rough rocky terrain. takes it's toll on man and bike alike. don't do a lot of big air (chicken).

mtbr member
    Wow. That's a lot of broken D-Ts. I think there's probably only been like 5 broken D-Ts total, and three of them were yours!

How tall are you. From the way you have the seat (?) slammed back all the way on the rails it looks like you maybe should be riding a large.

KRob------>Just e-speculating.

mtbr member
    If you think about it, the seatpost has a ton of leverage on that exact spot, its no wonder they crack there. If you do alot of seated riding in rocky terrrain there is even more stress on that area. With the seat high and back in the rails, the slack seat angle, the odds are against you my friend. I wonder if that is part of the reason why the Delirium has a more upright seat angle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    If you think about it, the seatpost has a ton of leverage on that exact spot, its no wonder they crack there. If you do alot of seated riding in rocky terrrain there is even more stress on that area. With the seat high and back in the rails, the slack seat angle, the odds are against you my friend. I wonder if that is part of the reason why the Delirium has a more upright seat angle?

the rock forces one to be in and out of the saddle a lot. that might be worse since the "in" is often sudden and can be violent.

yes on the seat tube. it must be so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    So, if I read correctly...you broke 3 Santa Cruz Bullits (one per year), a Turner Six Pack, and 3 Knolly Deleriums?

And you think it is a manufacturing issue? Even if it is, the fact is you are hard on frames. So, either you a.) learn how to ride smoother (may not be possible--I have a feeling you are doing some gnarly stuff!!), or b.) get a stronger frame.

Breaking a frame nearly every year simply means you need a stronger frame, unless you don't mind replacing them every year. Screw weight. Put a couple extra pounds into the frame and take it off elsewhere. 2 pounds in a frame will make it much stronger. If I were you I would search out a VTACH if you can find one, or some other Freeride specific super burly frame.
    close. bought my first bullit, a 1999 metallic orange (great color), right here on mtbr classifieds over 11 years ago. there was no dealer here at the time. since there was no way to test ride, i went used. it was as new though and broke after a year.

i bought a new one from my LBS (who became a dealer) every 12 months. they failed like they were on a schedule. broke one a year through '05 when they stopped making them.

i didn't break the turner, but i retired it after 2 years. that was an outstanding frame - the horst link version. i came to recognize the early warning signs of metal fatigue after so many broken frames and parts. they get this characteristic ratty feel. my chains get it after 3-4 months, and if i don't pay attention and replace them, they snap.

i may be hard on frames and parts, but i've come to think it's the terrain and the miles. i think it's constant lateral torque banging through the rock with my 215# (with gear - heavy pack). it's just like those old metal coat hangers bent back and forth till they brake.

i'll check out the v tach thanks for the suggestion. your right about the weight, it's never been high on my list of concerns. this delirium weighs just under #44. but this is about my bike weight limit in this terrain

there is so much climbing here, i need a frame that can.

the delirium is the best frame i have ever ridden. really in class by itself. i'd propose if it was just a little better looking

i'd hate to have to start the hunt again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Wow. That's a lot of broken D-Ts. I think there's probably only been like 5 broken D-Ts total, and three of them were yours!

How tall are you. From the way you have the seat (?) slammed back all the way on the rails it looks like you maybe should be riding a large.

KRob------>Just e-speculating.
    bad luck. just a measly 5'10". i do like a longish cockpit though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast