Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Building a Warden at 30lb or less

But the catch is, it HAS to be full coil, run a dropper and run real-world tires (800g'ish).

What do you all think, is it possible? What would the component make up look like?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how easy that would be to have all your requirements. For comparison, my Chili is full coil (Avy'd 55 up front, Avy'd Van RC w/ti spring in the rear) Thomson dropper, and Big Betty up front and Chunky Monkey out back (both 2.4, tubeless). It's also 1x10 with RF SixC cranks, King/Flow wheels, Crampon Ultimate pedals, etc. About the only thing I could do to lighten it up more is a carbon bar, and XTR cassette.

And with all that, it's 33.8 lbs or so.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Your Chilli's build would pretty much resemble the Warden build I'd imagine.

Do you know the Chilli's frame weight? The little bit of info I can find on the Warden's weight is 6.75lbs w/CTD, I'm guessing it's a medium frame.

mtbr member
    Eh, mine's a large and I think it's was 8.00 or so with a DB Air? I'm not 100% certain, someone else might have that number handy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    But the catch is, it HAS to be full coil, run a dropper and run real-world tires (800g'ish).

What do you all think, is it possible? What would the component make up look like?
    carbon rims, 190 hubs, SLR saddle, RF next SL cranks, kcnc 38 cassette, etc...

here's a retailer that sells much of this type of stuff: Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique

Heck, by my estimation you could get it down close to 26.5lbs...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    if you want to spend $10k

Knollician
    I think you could do it with uber light cranks, saddle, rims, hubs, etc, but as mentioned, it will be pricey. My Endo with carbon cranks, Hope M4s, average wheels, Thomson dropper, and Revelation fork comes in at 28.75lb I believe the demo Warden that was at Knollfest with XO1 1x11, PIKE and CCDBA was about 29lbs.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    You could do it, but there would be compromises and it would not match up well with the coil suspension.

mtbr member

Building a Warden at 30lb or less

Why hell bent on coil ? A pike and ccdba would be a killer combo I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=wilks;10878311]Why hell bent on coil ? A pike and ccdba would be a killer combo I'm sure.

I'm sure it would be killer, but I know what like, and it's not air. I do have fond memories of the Doroado though....

Bang for your buck, out of the box coil will always out perform air, especially with rear shocks.

mtbr member
    Maybe Ti coiled shock rear with Pike/34 front. Next SL crankset & Derby carbon wheels.

I think the new Marz Ti coiled shock looks promising & is said to be the lightest coil shock on the market, im not sure on sizing & release date but it sure looks sweet... At that weight, you must make compromise.

mtbr member
    I can't remember the exact weights (again, sorry), but my Avy'd Van RC with a Ti spring was only about 40g or so heavier than a CCDB Air I think. I measured these nearly a year ago, so I just cant' remember the numbers.

mtbr member
    Nice shock for sure, love how user tunable it is. Unfortunately doesn't look like it'll be offered in the Warden size

mtbr member
    Is the Warden the same as the rest, 2.25" x 7.875"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Is the Warden the same as the rest, 2.25" x 7.875"?
    Yep Just check the shock options

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    carbon rims, 190 hubs, SLR saddle, RF next SL cranks, kcnc 38 cassette, etc...

here's a retailer that sells much of this type of stuff: Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique

Heck, by my estimation you could get it down close to 26.5lbs...
    That's a cool site, did you see how lite that Extralite Hyper rear hub is, 168g's! But for $600 fat ones, I'm not that crazy. (Yet)

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's a cool site, did you see how lite that Extralite Hyper rear hub is, 168g's! But for $600 fat ones, I'm not that crazy. (Yet)
    Yep, but one can still make a damn light bike that is reasonably strong, I was specing it out with envy stem and bar, next SL or xx1 cranks, command post blacklite, tall mountain type carbon rims, etc.

You can go WAY lighter with carbon saddles that have no padding, stupid light 130gx700mm handlebars, super minimalist brakes, etc.

In the end, it's all about money, most people want a real light bike, but they don't want to spend the money that it takes to get there. To build those 28lb AM bikes with 6" of travel with solid builds takes some serious cash, any way you do it. Even at 30lbs it's pretty damn expensive. I dropped XX1 cranks into my ride, ditched the front D and shifter, switched to a smaller lighter cassette and went with a lightweight saddle. My bike has an air shock and all of this only gets it down to around 29.5lbs. Could I go way lighter without sacrificing strength? Sure. It's going to start costing a LOT of money real fast though. That's what it takes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Knollician
    Outside of the XFusion Vengeance, are there any other legitimate 650B coil forks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Outside of the XFusion Vengeance, are there any other legitimate 650B coil forks?
    Exactly what I was just researching, it seems Xfusion is the only one around. And at 2494g's /5.5lbs sub 30lbs is gunna be tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yep, but one can still make a damn light bike that is reasonably strong, I was specing it out with envy stem and bar, next SL or xx1 cranks, command post blacklite, tall mountain type carbon rims, etc.

You can go WAY lighter with carbon saddles that have no padding, stupid light 130gx700mm handlebars, super minimalist brakes, etc.

In the end, it's all about money, most people want a real light bike, but they don't want to spend the money that it takes to get there. To build those 28lb AM bikes with 6" of travel with solid builds takes some serious cash, any way you do it. Even at 30lbs it's pretty damn expensive. I dropped XX1 cranks into my ride, ditched the front D and shifter, switched to a smaller lighter cassette and went with a lightweight saddle. My bike has an air shock and all of this only gets it down to around 29.5lbs. Could I go way lighter without sacrificing strength? Sure. It's going to start costing a LOT of money real fast though. That's what it takes.
    That's pretty f'n scary, just to drop 3-4lbs means one has to drop 2-3k on top of 3-4k. Suddenly 33lbs sounds just right....

Knollician
    That's pretty f'n scary, just to drop 3-4lbs means one has to drop 2-3k on top of 3-4k. Suddenly 33lbs sounds just right....
    I think with the standard XO1, dropper, PIKE and CCDBA build, you would be sitting right about 29lbs. I know you are looking for coil, but certainly something to consider. I have yet to hear any major complaints about the PIKE, and the CCDBA seems to be the pinnacle in an air shock.

My Chili is about 35lbs full coil with dropper and it can be a handful on longer "epic chunky" rides we do in the winter. The Endo is a bit light for these duties (not due to the frame, but rather due to my build), and as such I am looking at a 29lb Warden to fill the gap. Another option high on my list is to drop a different fork and shock on the Endo and go 1x11.

Anyone interested in buying a sweet Endo at a great price?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Exactly what I was just researching, it seems Xfusion is the only one around. And at 2494g's /5.5lbs sub 30lbs is gunna be tough.
    grams pounds
    Frame 4100 9.03
    Fork 2452 5.40
    Headset 61 0.13
    Stem Envy Carbon 110 0.24
    Spacers ? 0.00
    Handlebar Envy Carbon 180 0.40
    Grips Lizard Skins 30 0.07
    LH Shifter None 0.00
    RH Shifter XT Pod 130 0.29
    Front Derailleur None 0.00
    Rear Deraillleur XT 208 0.46
    Bottom Bracket 0.00
    Crankset RF Next SL 560 1.23
    Pedals XTR? Trail? 370 0.81
    Chain Ultegra, whatever 230 0.51
    Cassette KCNC 11-38 196 0.43
    Seatpost Blacklite 550 1.21
    Seatpost QR Simple 20 0.04
    Saddle SLR? 130 0.29
    F Wheel Carbon rims, 2 sets of spokes, alloy nipples, 190 rear hub, 110 front 1477 3.25
    R Wheel 0 0.00
    F QR/Axle 0 0.00
    R QR/Axle 0 0.00
    F Tire 800 1.76
    R Tire 800 1.76
    F Tube None (sealant/strip) 100 0.22
    R Tube None (sealant/strip) 100 0.22
    F Brake Shimano XTR+203mm XT Splined Rotor 421 0.93
    R Brake XTR+160mm rotor 400 0.88
    Cable Housing+misc 200 0.44
    Total 13625g 30.01lbs

mtbr member
    Good gawd there sure is a lot of work being put into this thread. Cannot go coil on a limited budget and want lightweight...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post

Anyone interested in buying a sweet Endo at a great price?
    Stretch it out to a large and I'll take it.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I'd like to get the Warden down to 30lbs or less in a practical non-Platinum-VISA build. OTOH - I'm not going be unhappy if I am a bit heavier than expected.

I'm okay with air suspension so that will help. Since I'm going to be waiting for the frame a while I'm just tackling a few parts at a time and trying to find the sweet spot in the price-weight-functionality curve before things get silly expensive.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast