mtbr member

Brake of choice for sub-podiums?

I'm going to finally jump on the hydro bandwagon as im transferring my old BB7's off of the Endo with the SLX Ice Tech or the Magura MT2/4. I am having trouble nailing down exactly which I want to purchase so for those of you running Endos/Chilis, what do you run and what are your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Purely based on ease of finding replacement parts and shops being able to service them, I would go avid or shimano...

...but I would never buy a set of avid brakes.

I have been on my 2012 SLX's for over a year and love them on my Chili. Plenty of stopping power in a fairly lightweight, reliable package.
    2012 Knolly Chilcotin
    2002 Haro VGF V3 - Still have my first real mtb

mtbr member
    xt's or slx's. I run xt's on my podium and delirium and they are fantastic!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    im not to sure that the new maguaras are very good, look at reviews and you'll see what i mean, thats why i made the switch from magura ( 08 and 09 louise f bat) to shimano xt m780 and m820 saint. the first thing youll notice with the shimano is how powerful they are, when you pull the lever you actually stop, they have great bite power and feel, and modulate very well. they are great brakes hence why all my bikes are now running shimano, ( well they will be soon, my chromag still running maguras at the mo, but that will change soon)

my brother likes and uses formula brakes, on his carbon demo he has the ones, and on the chilli he's running mega's he had them on his last 3 bikes and they are almost 5 years old and never missed a beat, they just work no hassle,

shimano or formula would be my advice

mtbr member
    Hard to beat the new XT Trails for the money.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    slx, xt or xtr trail...depending on budget, going up the range they do get incrementaly better, on the same token slx still gets great reviews.

my next set will be xtr trail as a friend has them and they are just perfect.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

si vis pacem...
    I've got the XTR trails. I can second the comment that they are just perfect.

mtbr member
    XTR trails on both Delirium and Podium. The short lever feels good. I have small hands and can get the lever close to the bar without loosing power. Not too many brakes allow this, because once you dial the lever close to the bars they loose power. I also like the lever close to the bars resulting in less hand fatigue on long descents.

%$#$*!
    I've never tried Magura so I can't give a comparison, but I'm running SLX M675's and really like them. They have plenty of stopping power, great lever feel, and are inexpensive, too. I also like that shimano uses mineral oil and are easy to bleed. Bluesky has some great deals on shimano brakes right now.

bump and grind
    XT - simply all things considered the best (1 finger ergonomics, gobs of power, decent weight, ok modulation, reliable, lots of pads and parts available, and cheaper than most in its class). The SLX is even cheaper and only lacks the free stroke adjustment -same power and ergonomics.

Ive had it with SRAM/avid hydros. I had the Juicy7, Elixir R, BB7. I sold the Juicy and Elixir within months of purchase and I still have the BB7 after 7 years.
    The avid hydros (at least in my experience) constantly squeak, leak, rub and need rebleeding. If you store the bike upside down or in a really hot car or van, or accidentally press the brake with the wheel off, they lock and you'll need to rebleed. Several rides ruined upon getting to the trailhead, I had unusable brakes.

The best AVID brake is by far the BB7. Id keep the BB7 than replace it with any SRAM or Avid hydro.
    Turner Burner 650b, Knolly Endorphin, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B
    ...so far...

mtbr member
    FYI, at least to me, the XT and XTR's feel identical. I've got a set of XT's Trails on the Podium and XTR Trails on the other two bikes. The difference is the XTR has a one piece caliper, and the XTR lever is all one piece and much more compact. I much prefer the low profile of the XTR/Saint levers over the XT's.

Oddly enough, when I warrantied my 820 Saints, the tech at Shimano actually told me the XT caliper was stiffer than the XTR, and that most of the guys that worked there ran XTR levers with XT calipers for this reason.

I think the XTR's are also a tad lighter, but negligible. Bluesky has some unreal deals on Shimano brakes as someone above posted.
    Last edited by rscecil007; 08-02-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My XT's are nice, but they feel like little girl brakes compared to the Hope V2's.

mtbr member
    yeah, I agree with the others, Shimano has this brake thing figured out. Relatively cheap, super easy to set up, quiet, powerful, pretty good modulation. Although my formula RX and Magura Louise FR brakes had slightly better modulation... they weren't quite as powerful and tended to fade on long descents.

As far as SLX, XT, XTR it may be slightly better/lighter as you go up the product line but it's definitely diminishing returns for the extra money.

Another vote for SLX.

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the thoughts. I ended up going the Shimano route. Though I wanted to go with the SLX, bluesky only offers 1400mm rear hose length so I ended up scrapping that idea and found the XT's on sale at Nashbar for 110 each and Universal for 120 each both with hose length that would support the knolly.

Looking forward to the hydro-lution.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    My XT's are nice, but they feel like little girl brakes compared to the Hope V2's.
    Yep, Shimano has done a great job with their current generation of brakes, and for the price they can be had they really are hard to beat. However, I still prefer HOPE brakes. Nothing compares to their quality, serviceability, longevity, durability, and performance. I'm not a fan of Shimano's servo-wave feature, and the hope levers are dead solid with a nice linear power curve. This all comes with a price though, and Hopes are not lightest brake out there.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I have a set of 2012 XTR trails on my Endorphin and they are stronger than the 2013 Avid XO Trails on my Podium. The Shimano levers have a much better feel (and look) also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    slx, xt or xtr trail...depending on budget, going up the range they do get incrementaly better, on the same token slx still gets great reviews.

my next set will be xtr trail as a friend has them and they are just perfect.
    my mate who runs the bike shop at grizedale forrest, says slx for value for money, or xt, he says the xtr just arent worth the extra cost, lol still makes me want some though cause they look super nice lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Yep, Shimano has done a great job with their current generation of brakes, and for the price they can be had they really are hard to beat. However, I still prefer HOPE brakes. Nothing compares to their quality, serviceability, longevity, durability, and performance. I'm not a fan of Shimano's servo-wave feature, and the hope levers are dead solid with a nice linear power curve. This all comes with a price though, and Hopes are not lightest brake out there.
    which rotors/pads are you using?

i had tech m4s before the formulas, and the hope levers are the best ive ever laid hands on (shame they cant be paired with xt calipers)

the problem i had with the m4s was the poor lifetime of the rotors, they'd buckle so easy when they got really hot and squealed like a pig in the wet. i always wished i had tried other pads and rotors to get by these problems but lost patience after i forked out twice for replacement rotors (i went through 3 sets between 2009-2010) then flogged the brakes on..

id like to give the v4s a go (or even m4s again) if i thought i could keep the rotors cool and straight, and braking silent..
    Last edited by cfrench; 08-03-2013 at 02:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    XTR levers with XT calipers
    yup, i've heard this is a great combo from a number of people with most using the 180mm XT ice tech rotors front and rear

ಠ_ಠ

Shimano SLX M666 Brakes

I know someone who would definitely ride SLX brakes... Now, who could it be? Could it be ... SATAN?
    Attached Images Attached Images