mtbr member

Bottom bracket for a chilcotin

Hello.
    I would change my BB from my old SH XT 2009 because I feel some space when I move the pedals.

I have some doubts. I've read in an older post the right BB for a chilco is a GXP 73mm ¿English Thread?

Do you recomend me some ceramic? I don't know this kind of pieces and some advice is wellcome

Thanks

TSC
    Buehliever
    Two schools of thought:

Buy cheap and replace often ($20+)
    I think Shimano and SRAM both have good, cheap (aka disposable) versions of their BB.

Buy quality and do periodic cleaning ($100+)
    Chris King is usually considered the top of the line, but costly. I went with "Hope Mtn ceramic BB, 68/73mm" with "Hope Truvativ GXP BB conversion shims" because Hope usually has the best price for performance and I could get the ceramic version for less than the CK with steel.

One thing to note: Not all cranksets are the same. Make sure you buy a BB that specifically fits your crankset or that the BB can be adapted to fit.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    BB will depend a lot on what cranks you have.

GXP is specifically for SRAM/Truvativ cranks.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Hello.
    Thanks guys for your answers.
    I have in mind to change to a 1x10 drive train.
    I think a cheap option is to buy a Truvativ AKA:
    Truvativ AKA Chainset GXP 1.1G | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Is it right this model for my chilco?

regards

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by graypaw View Post
    Hello.
    Thanks guys for your answers.
    I have in mind to change to a 1x10 drive train.
    I think a cheap option is to buy a Truvativ AKA:
    Truvativ AKA Chainset GXP 1.1G | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Is it right this model for my chilco?

regards
    It needs to be right for your cranks. The Chilcotin has a 73mm bottom bracket shell, so purchase a bottom bracket that is compatible with that size that works correctly with your cranks.

(edit) Sorry, didn't check link. The crankset you linked will work and should come with the appropriate BB shell. Confirm when you order, as those cranks are available in BB30 as well.

mtbr member
    pm me if you'd be interested in black xt crankset. I ran it as a 1x10 so the original chain rings have never been used.
    I just switched to Sram XO carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are going with the AKA consider doing a spiderless chainring upgrade in the future, like MRP's. Cheap way to shave a little weight, and I believe the AKA's are compatible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    If you are going with the AKA consider doing a spiderless chainring upgrade in the future, like MRP's. Cheap way to shave a little weight, and I believe the AKA's are compatible.
    I consider this options. Cheap and light ~604 gr

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanS. View Post
    (edit) Sorry, didn't check link. The crankset you linked will work and should come with the appropriate BB shell. Confirm when you order, as those cranks are available in BB30 as well.
    Thanks, but your answer bring me more doubts.
    From this post:
    The official Chilcotin build thread

"You need the GXP version. BB30 and PF30 are both pressfit style bottom brackets, one the bearing goes directly and the other the cups containing the bearing press in. Knolly is sticking with the tried and true threaded external cups."

Thanks

mtbr member
    Helo.
    I got more information from other shop site:

Truvativ AKA 1.1G Single Speed GXP Crankset: 1.1-G (Single): single-ring setup with aluminum bashguard. Hollow-forged (OCT) 7050-T6 aluminum arms mated to a 4-arm forged aluminum spider. Optimized Q-factor with a 49.5mm chainline and a drive-side integrated GXP (Giga X Pipe) 24mm bottom bracket spindle for maximized stiffness.

GXP Team cartridge bearing bottom bracket included for 68/73mm threaded shells (can be upgraded to BlackBox ceramic bearings or BB92 Press-Fit with separate bottom brackets). Hard-anodized 7075 aluminum chainring, 5182 aluminum bashguard, dual-hex steel chainring bolts, alloy M10 self-extractor crank/spindle bolt, and pedal washers. 840g (with BB)

Key Information
    rings: 32t
    interface: GXP
    BCD: 104mm
    length: 175mm
    color: brushed black

I think this is right for my.
    Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

mtbr member
    Bluesky has pretty good deals on cranksets and bottom brackets. I've used a stainless CK bb and shimano BB's, so far I've had good experiences with several shimano bb's and crank combo's. I really can't feel the difference between the cheaper oem shimano stuff and the CK bb I used. imho save the money on the bb and use it to buy better cranks or pedals.

Mountain Bike Cranks, Road Bike Cranks, Cranksets, Bike Cranks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Last $30 XT I got 4 years out of. Quit squirting your bikes with a hose, or move somewhere it doesn't constantly rain.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Hello.
    I've bought a truvativ AKA and a north shore billet chainring 30t spiderless.
    The BB for the chilco is 73 mm GXP english cup.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Regards