Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Better on paper:)!!!

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  craigstr 
#1 ·
Many times things seem so much better on paper and then once you start down the rabbit hole - you quickly start thinking - yikes turn back turn back:D Life is a learning experience so go for it:thumbsup:

I am starting a new thread as the last thread went to male nakediness way too quickly:skep:.

I am re-painting my frame and servicing the bearings. I have had the Delirium for 2 years and has many of you know I love this bike. I am heading out of town for 1 month for work and there will be not biking:madman: , but it will be fun - working in the field collecting data observations. Anyway - it is a perfect opportunity to detach myself from the Delirium:eek:!

First taking the frame apart - you recognize all of the little attention to details and quickly become amazed by the design, which I have overlooked to this degree. It is so cool and fascinating! It is a jigsaw puzzle - I hate jigsaw puzzles so I took lots of pictures:)!!!

I have it all apart - but of course I can't get one of the bearing collars out. I poured some telfon hoping that it will break free. Noel - please come to my rescue - tricks of the trade to get this out?

Hours later - hmmm may be white wasn't so bad after all:rolleyes:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Its all good except the one bearing collar....I just tried a piece of wire slipped in behind it but no luck. I am baffled of how to get this out without damaging it.

It is the top of the seatstay pivot. One side comes out easily, the other side spins. My gut says that it has corrode with the bearings - yikes!

#7 ·
I actually have a bike stand:thumbsup:

However, it is much easier to remove aspects of the bike while upside-down with a bit more leverage, less fight against gravity, and much easier access to both sides of the bike. It is easier to remove wheels, cranks, bottom bracket, primary pivot bolt, rear triangle. Once you get pass this, place it in the bike stand, as I did:D

It should be mentioned the number of tools needed to do this including installation. Standard tools - allens, torque wrenches, bike stand, park headset remover and installer, bearing puller, bearing installer, camera, small pieces of PVC pipe, misc parts. I found that the bearing puller was too rough on the smaller bearings not on the main triangle. I used aspects of the bearing installer and some PVC pipe to push the bearings out, as oppose to pulling the bearings.

#10 ·
I get a kick out of the banter. :thumbsup:

@Craigstr-- 2 questions:

1) You going to trade in your El Guapo for a Chili or Endo?

2) People keep talking about how the Chili and the Delirium are too close in geo/specs to buy both. Your El Guapo/Delirium quiver are comparable to a Chili/Delirium quiver. What's your opinion, are they too close together to buy both?

@Dude!-- sorry for jacking your thread.

#11 ·
Dude and I are part time riding buddies.

I have to give him a hard time. I have my el guapo built up super light and my delirium built up mini dh style so the separtion is ideal for the stuff I ride. Not sure which way I will go, Titus has hinted that a 180mm fr bike is in the works although thats all I know. My EG is 9 lbs lighter then my Delirium.

#16 ·
haha - Will do:thumbsup:

It is out of my hands now - it has been shipped to the painters!

It is funny, we talk a lot about frame weight, etc. However, when you take a frame apart to its bare bones - there really isn't much to the frame material. If anything you want more and heavier. I remain amazed as to what these bikes survive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.