mtbr member

Best Travelers Insurance for Visiting Canada

Heading to Canada soon to mountain bike....what's the best travel insurance for mountain biking medical coverage?

Reading the fine print on a number of policies isn't very promising for biking.

Thanks
    Jamie

Delirious Tuck
    Wife went to Whistler ER and we were able to get reimbursed through US program. Had to pay there though.

If you book with AMEX, typically get travel insurance included...

mtbr member
    Or phone Whistler ER / local canadian health board, and ask for advice, theyll have dealt with injured people with the right and wrong types of policies 1000's of times over.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the good ideas. I did call the Whistler ER. They didn't have a recommendation because everyone has to pay them and get reimbursed later. Owing to this, they never really deal with insurance companies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Thanks for the good ideas. I did call the Whistler ER. They didn't have a recommendation because everyone has to pay them and get reimbursed later. Owing to this, they never really deal with insurance companies.
    cheers, i didnt know this and wouldnt have thought to take 'save my soul money' with me on hols, lol, i will now.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Dont get hurt. Or do what I did and sell all your gravity bikes.

mtbr member
    I found a few on insuremytrip.com, which is endorsed by the Better Business Bureau. Click on the medical tab and then look for policies that support extreme sports.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    bluecross is commonly used by us Canadians travelling outside of Canada. They also have products for visitors to Canada though.

Potential benefit is that bluecross will be recognized by any medical staff here and their administration will probably have open channels to them.

While I've carried bluecross insurance for all my trips abroad and to U.S. i've never actually had to use it so I can't offer any experience beyond saying it's pretty easy to purchase online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    chris,/jamie...
    from what we got told 2 years ago when col popped his pinky,,, whistler med centre wont deal with foreign insurance policies for anything less than 5 grand, anything over 5k then they will start comunicatiing, this is because they have been burned so many times from insurance companies not paying up. or people claiming to be insured when they arent,
    if your bill is less than 5k you have to pay upfront.
    as for companies,, me personally use insureandgo but have to pay extra to get dh /racing/extreme terain cover. i know dogtag include dh biking but have heard bad reports about them not wanting to pay out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    chris,/jamie...
    from what we got told 2 years ago when col popped his pinky,,, whistler med centre wont deal with foreign insurance policies for anything less than 5 grand, anything over 5k then they will start comunicatiing, this is because they have been burned so many times from insurance companies not paying up. or people claiming to be insured when they arent,
    if your bill is less than 5k you have to pay upfront.
    as for companies,, me personally use insureandgo but have to pay extra to get dh /racing/extreme terain cover. i know dogtag include dh biking but have heard bad reports about them not wanting to pay out.
    i guess the question is now, how much should we put aside for the unexpected? the full 5k? pretty scary thinking about having severe injuries / broken bones and no one to help because you didnt save up enough before hand..
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I purchased an accident policy through the airline I flew to Canada on. On second thought it may have been through the online booking agency where I got my tickets.

Didn't get hurt so don't know how hard it would've been to collect but the fine print said I was covered for my whole trip, not just the flights. Didn't see any exclusions for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    i guess the question is now, how much should we put aside for the unexpected? the full 5k? pretty scary thinking about having severe injuries / broken bones and no one to help because you didnt save up enough before hand..
    thats kind of the problem i found myself in 2 years back when col did his finger, the med bill was 1400 bucks, ( 960 quid), they told us about the 5 grand thing, so i paid on my card, travel insurance refuse to pay up as i am supposed to ring the emergancy 24 hour phone no for claims above 500 pound, what am i supposed to do, let the med centre and insurance co play telephone tennis with each other while col sits there in agony, they did eventually pay up, after 4 months of bollocks,
    now i am wondering if i should even bother trying to claim back the expenses of physio last week when i hurt my back. insurance companies arent the easiest or most enjoyable things to deal with,

mtbr member
    My girlfriend and I are both doctors (in the US) and when she shattered her humerus while skiing at Whistler we were not prepared for what we would have to go through to get reimbursed. Even though we have good health insurance, it took about 8 months to get them to pay everything back. The insurance company used every way to block us, requesting a letter from the ER doc with corrected ICD-9 codes and E codes (CAN doesn't use these codes). The kind of crap the insurance companies get away with is criminal.

This is one reason why I work at a community health center. Personally, I charge about $40 to put a cast on, and our price for an x-ray is $65 dollars. My girlfriends bill was almost $3000 dollars. Makes me want to bring my own casting supplies and open up a mobile clinic out of my truck.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    My girlfriend and I are both doctors (in the US) and when she shattered her humerus while skiing at Whistler we were not prepared for what we would have to go through to get reimbursed. Even though we have good health insurance, it took about 8 months to get them to pay everything back. The insurance company used every way to block us, requesting a letter from the ER doc with corrected ICD-9 codes and E codes (CAN doesn't use these codes). The kind of crap the insurance companies get away with is criminal.

This is one reason why I work at a community health center. Personally, I charge about $40 to put a cast on, and our price for an x-ray is $65 dollars. My girlfriends bill was almost $3000 dollars. Makes me want to bring my own casting supplies and open up a mobile clinic out of my truck.
    i think they charged somthing like 160 bucks for xrays, when col did his finger, they were snapping xrays like a japanese tourist. think they did 5 in total, 3 before and 2 after they popped it back in,,, i could feel my creditcard wilting with each xray lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Not sure if you've already been on your trip or notů but, Travel Guard & Allianz are both popular ones worth checking out if you haven't already.

Shaun Y.
    North Shore, AKL
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 10-18-2013 at 11:09 PM.

mtbr member
    I've used canadian bluecross travel insurance. It's cheap and it works. I did have to pay roughly $1000 to get my hand stitched up at the Clinic in whistler. But I was reimbursed within a few weeks by bluecross when I was able to contact them and file my claim. Another person I know got banged up pretty good in whistler and had over $40k in hospital bills that was immediately covered.

https://travelweb.pac.bluecross.ca/travelweb/

mtbr member
    ^ thanks for that link.
    Worked out to $25 per long weekend. Since i only make 5-6 trips per year, and that is the cost of like 4 beers. It makes a whole lot of sense.

BTW: has anyone used any of the other medical clinics in Whistler. I think there are 3 in the Village. The other ones are smaller clinics, but its not hard to stitch up someone, or put them in a sling (broken collar bone).
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

MC MasterShake
    I broke my shoulder riding in Squamish a couple years back. I had to pay all costs upfront on my CC. I called BCBS and I had to submit the bill to them for reimbursement. They sent me a check (minus $100 emergency room fee) within the month. So, I'd check with your insurance company to make sure you'd be covered in case of an injury then just leave a bunch of room on your CC, if you do run into an issue. I wouldn't over think it.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    I generally agree with everything you post Woodyak, but I disagree with not seriously looking at insurance and what it covers. The standards injuries - yeah not a big issue save room on your CC. However, if something goes really bad - you want to be covered and you hope it has a good upper limit for pay out. You don't want to pay for it for the rest of life and or not get the treatment that will get you 100% back.

I have great insurance health insurance with my job. I still get the travel health insurance when crossing the border. The bike patrol told us after our buddy hurt himself, never come across the border without it. Note many travel insurance policies DO NOT cover mountain biking. You have to check to see if it covers extreme sports and you have to pay more. The travel health insurance that I get also includes life insurance which I max out for my family. If you can afford Whistler, you can afford a $100 plus to be covered.