Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best shock for the Endo?

Just bought a new Endo (to tag team with my Chilcotin which is getting a Woodie in the next few days..its currently waiting to get on the plane at JFK Airport according to the tracking) and Endo shock options seem to be:

Avalanche Chubie (or the Woodie..if it fits on an Endo?)
    CCDB Air (standard)...as cant get Knolly CS tune aftermarket.
    CCDB Coil (standard)
    Rockshox Monarch RC3

..and new on the market:
    FOX Float-X
    BOS The Kirk
    BOS Vipr2

Really not sure which would be the best option to pair with the Endos 4x4.

Im not fussed about the weight of the shock as the rest of the bike will be built up really light.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by cfrench; 08-10-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think the Kirk might be a good match but if your blown away with the Woodie when it arrives, I suppose it would be tempting to try and fit one to an Endo. What are the forks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I think the Kirk might be a good match but if your blown away with the Woodie when it arrives, I suppose it would be tempting to try and fit one to an Endo. What are the forks?
    bos deville 140 am (when they arrive), also got 36 floats 160mm here which i can lower to 150mm (10 min job), theyre on the chili just now but im after a pair of deville 160mm aswell
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    would the woodie fit the endo,,, that could be an idea lol... chris what does the woodie weigh.

bump and grind
    On my 2011 Endo, I just started using an Avalanche modded DHX3. I've got to say, the Avy modded DHX blew the old shocks (DHX Air and DHX Coil 3.0 stock) out of the water. I was going faster and with more control, even if trails were sloppy. So I would probably vote for the Avy shock on your list.
    Turner Burner 650b, Knolly Endorphin, Turner RFX, Voodoo D-jab 650B
    ...so far...

Yebo Numzaan

Pike kicks ass!!

Just threw a 150mm Pike on the Endo y'day and got my first ride. Impressive!! 100% stoked.

I had been futzing with a Revelation on the Endo and have really been struggling to enjoy it ever since i got it. Changed the damping fluid (twice) etc..etc.....the Pike is a different story. Chucked in both volume spacers and set the pressure to the mid of the range for my weight.... didnt take the time to measure sag. I also didnt change a single dial on the fork as it felt pretty good in the garage. Love looking down on those beefy black stanchions.

On the trail i felt totally comfortable within seconds and within a minute or two I was shredding with confidence on the 'small' bike.

Y'days ride was as sweet as any run i have taken down this trail i maintain. On one specific pretty gnarly rock roll....i felt like i had an extra second before hitting the wild / fast corner at the bottom...it was pretty awesome...I literally had time to realize how stable and controlled / confident i was feeling and delayed my braking appropriately. It was quite an surreal experience. (Oh hey!!! I am normally shitting myself right about now...but wow...I actually feel in control!!)

The new fork comes a ride or two after finally dialing the rear end of the bike appropriately. I am running the RP23 (originally off the Chilly) which I had pushed. PUSH inserted a Large volume spacer - which i found to NOT be enough ramp up for my given sag (+- 30%). I decided to - in addition - insert the plastic sleeve mod into the air sleeve. I started with a small piece of plastic and three times (after each ride) increased the dimensions of the insert. I finally feel like i have the end stroke support i need and the suppleness in the initial stroke. Interestingly when the RP23 was on the Chilly....all i used was the same plastic insert (without the internal Fox volume spacer).

The bike is feeling totally totally awesome. Stoked. Not to mention the black looks pretty bad ass.

Good luck with your choice dude!

Black on black
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I am have been seriously eyeing the Pike and then talked myself out of it. Damn you

Interesting to hear about the rear shock. I wonder if the shock spacers are similar between the Endorphin and Chilcotin.

BTW - the all black looks amazing!!! Best looking Endorphin that I have seen!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Just threw a 150mm Pike on the Endo y'day and got my first ride. Impressive!! 100% stoked.

I had been futzing with a Revelation on the Endo and have really been struggling to enjoy it ever since i got it. Changed the damping fluid (twice) etc..etc.....the Pike is a different story. Chucked in both volume spacers and set the pressure to the mid of the range for my weight.... didnt take the time to measure sag. I also didnt change a single dial on the fork as it felt pretty good in the garage. Love looking down on those beefy black stanchions.
    Not what I needed to hear. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a PIKE but having a hard time justifying another 150mm fork. I am running a 2011 Revelation. I just sold the Chili and will be using the ENDO as my one bike for the foreseeable future. The Pike seems great on paper; better dampening, stouter, and damn light.

Did you consider the 160 Pike at all?

Good to hear you are out ripping again,
    TG

mtbr member
    So I suppose you guys don't want to hear that what I think of the Pike on my Endo coming from a Revelation pretty much echos what Mutton said about his Pike? (except I'd still be shitting my pants in spots compared to him, hahahaha.)

Did I push anyone over the edge yet?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    But on the shock front, I think I'm about to the point where I'm going to send me CTD to Push, and maybe put that big hit option on it.

I thought about getting a DB-Air CS, and having the two settings of the switch set as either open/DH on one end, and more trail/pedal friendly on the other. But the DB Air weight bugs me for the Endo, and pretty much anytime I'd throw the lever and open up the shock, I'd be on a trail where I'd rather have the Chili.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    So I suppose you guys don't want to hear that what I think of the Pike on my Endo coming from a Revelation pretty much echos what Mutton said about his Pike? (except I'd still be shitting my pants in spots compared to him, hahahaha.)

Did I push anyone over the edge yet?
    haha - very close. You started the madness!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    haha - very close. You started the madness!
    Why you pointing fingers at me man?!?!?! LOL

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Not what I needed to hear. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a PIKE but having a hard time justifying another 150mm fork. I am running a 2011 Revelation. I just sold the Chili and will be using the ENDO as my one bike for the foreseeable future. The Pike seems great on paper; better dampening, stouter, and damn light.

Good to hear you are out ripping again,
    TG
    Only to be made better by an Avy damper (rumored)
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    What? Avy damper for a Pike? But it's an air fork, and we all know how Craig feels about air and heavier guys. haha.

Seriously, Avy damper for the Pike is coming???

mtbr member
    I guess the question now is 150 or 160

Knollician
    What? Avy damper for a Pike? But it's an air fork, and we all know how Craig feels about air and heavier guys. haha.

Seriously, Avy damper for the Pike is coming???
    That's what I have heard. I've heard that the Charger damper is a direct rip off of the FOX FIT damper. I wouldn't be surprised if SRAM will have a lawsuit on their hands soon. And while I'm at it, I have also heard that Avy may be working on making air damper kits in the near future. Key work here is MAY. Sounds like they are testing all kinds of ideas to improve positive and negative air springs. Getting rid of the dual air system is about the worst thing SRAM ever did to air forks.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Not to mention the black looks pretty bad ass.
    Priceless shot chops! The all black Endo with the all black pooch sitting up at attention. Sounds like you've got it dialed too. Maybe I should quit looking at all these 29er/27.5 short travel options for my chili complement and just get an Endo. Dang nice bike.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the the Avy, but give an DHX air the Avy treatment. Had one done for my The One, very impressed. Super responsive, just like all the Avy upgrades, its a high performance custom modification.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    So how much abuse can the Pike handle? For reference, I am using a lowered (150mm) Fox Float 36 RC2. I am using the Fox Float for the RC2 and stiffness. I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Getting rid of the dual air system is about the worst thing SRAM ever did to air forks.
    Well said. My Dual Air Pike was a great fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    That's what I have heard. I've heard that the Charger damper is a direct rip off of the FOX FIT damper. I wouldn't be surprised if SRAM will have a lawsuit on their hands soon. And while I'm at it, I have also heard that Avy may be working on making air damper kits in the near future. Key work here is MAY. Sounds like they are testing all kinds of ideas to improve positive and negative air springs. Getting rid of the dual air system is about the worst thing SRAM ever did to air forks.
    Interesting. I wonder if that's the case what SRAM did differently, since the Pike gets rave reviews and the FIT didn't, best of my knowledge.

Yebo Numzaan
    my Woodie fitted my M endo. Felt wierd though - I am guessing it needs a different tune to the Chilly?
    I support EMBA

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post

TG
    I didnt consider the 160 at all. This bike is currently inspiring me with enough confidence it it made my balls any bigger i doubt i could get behind the saddle

Seriously tho', I just think about the sh1t the pro's ride on their 150 / 160 forks (speed / braking forces / steeps) and i feel totally comfortable that my same fork will hold up to anything i do.

If the boss says this bike rolls best with a 150 fork then I just roll with it.

RE: injury. Thanks dude. It is totally awesome to be back. I always see things hollistically and the injury was good for me. I was starting to pull the piss on the bike and that was a gentle reminder that sh1t can happen. When i get injured I always take the time to do different things and I did a ton of cool stuff with my wife. It also made me appreciate my health a whole lot more and also appreciate what a privilege it is to be able to hop on a bike and go for a ride. When i was recovering i was just as happy doing a 40 mile gravel road ride with my wife as I am hitting my DH trails. Riding / bikes are not something I do OR its not a hobby or sport....i realized its who i am. Its part of my life.
    I support EMBA

Yebo Numzaan
    Plenty abuse dude. I rode the Chilly on the same trails y'day as I had ridden the Endo on Friday and I felt no significant difference. I ended up adding some compression to the 36 after noticing more dive. Out the box the Pike was impressive. Makes me want to ride the Endo more.
    I support EMBA

Elitest thrill junkie
    But on the shock front, I think I'm about to the point where I'm going to send me CTD to Push, and maybe put that big hit option on it.

I thought about getting a DB-Air CS, and having the two settings of the switch set as either open/DH on one end, and more trail/pedal friendly on the other. But the DB Air weight bugs me for the Endo, and pretty much anytime I'd throw the lever and open up the shock, I'd be on a trail where I'd rather have the Chili.
    You know, this is interesting me me. I do not like my CTD lever shock, I didn't like RP23 or RP3 or any of that crap that I tried over the years. I want TRUE high and low speed compression adjustment, like I had on my avalanche. I want to be able to set it up for decent low-speed compression support so it's not wallowing everywhere, bottoming in hard g-outs or drops, etc, but I ALSO want it to blow off easily for sharp edged impacts and to get smoother the faster I go through rough terrain. This is what true adjustability on my avalanche shocks allowed for (and my avalanche fork, although I had to take the shim stack out to adjust high speed). On lever-actuated air shocks it's just terrible. In the D setting it has fine high speed characteristics, but the absolute lack of low-speed control is not desirable. Going to the "T" setting seems to increase both low speed AND high speed without that easy transition that the avalanche shock would make, especially at speed/really rough choppy sections. The "C" setting is pretty much useless on anything but a road.

So the point was my avalanche shock allowed me to have my cake and eat it too, without having to reach down and turn my bike into a bucking-ride over every little bump to get decent low-speed characteristics. I'll probably send this shock to push over the winter or get something more advanced that allows for that tunability.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast