Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

... and if we just ... Chainring protection options for 1x 104BCD

Hi all,

I am about convert my Chili from a 1x10 system with full chainguide (upper, lower and taco protection) to a 1x11 speed with narrow-wide chainring (30T or 32T) and clutch derailleur. Note that the cranks will remain the same, i.e. 104BCD. This change will make the full chainguides redundant and I am now looking at the best options to protect the chainring, without any having upper or lower chain guides.

I see two possibilities: either a bashguard (that attaches to the crank), or a taco-style protection (that attaches to the ISCG tabs). I am riding a Chili for a reason and the protection should be at least all-mountain level.

In my mind, the ISCG taco solution is the most elegant because it protects the area that needs protection and no more, contrary to bashguards, which cover the entirety of the chainring (but no shocks are expected from the top, right?). On the Chili, there is however, some sort of ISCG plate (visible here), which could possibly make the ISCG taco solution heavier... Any idea how much this ISCG plate weighs? (answer: 33.6 g) Also, a disadvantage of the bashring option is that I would need to change the bashguard if I were to use cranks that use another standard than 104 BCD.

Some taco options:
    • MRP XCG: 99g. It looks nice but, its smallest size appear to be in the 34T-36T max. Perhaps more importantly, it is a Cross Country Guard (XCG), and may not be tough enough?
    • BlackSpire Bruiser: 76g. There is a 32T max option and it is rated for XC/AM. Looks promising!

There seem to be quite a few bashguard options. To cite a few, e.g. in aluminum:
    • Chromag: 105g, 35T, 104 BCD, 7075 aluminum. Should be quite strong due to the use of 7075 alloy.
    • Race Face Lightweight Bash: 50g, 32T, 104BCD, 7075 aluminum. Rated for DH/FR. Sounds almost too good to be true!
    • Straitline Bashguard: 94g, 32-34T, 104 BCD, 6061 T6 aluminum. Nice serrated look.

... or in plastic:
    • e13 Turbocharger: <87g, 32T, 104 BCD, impact absorbing full thermoplastic. The "lightest and strongest bashguard", no less!
    • Gamut P20: 76g, 32-34T, 104 BCD, shock-absorbing plastic.
    • Gamut P20S: 70g, 32-34T, 104BCD, shock-absorbing plastic. This is the evolution of the P20, with stronger crank bolt hole support and integrated aluminum inserts. The products from the S-line series are used by downhill racers and seem plenty strong.

So, what would you recommend, bashguard or taco? Any experience with the models mentioned here? Any other models you recommend?
    Last edited by F-Bomb; 03-04-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Weight

mtbr member
    I have been riding with the AMG for a while. The guide works as adverstised but be sure to follow the chain lube restrictions. Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | LUBE AND DEGREASER COMPATIBILITY

I have the Bruiser waiting for me at the bike shop. I plan to install that tonight on my Endo and give it a proper thrashing this weekend.

My buddy is riding with the Race Face bash and this: wiggle.com | Hope Chain Guide - ISCG 05 Mount | Chain Guides & Bash Guards . If (when) I destroy another MRP guide I will be going that route for my Chil
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I have been riding with the AMG for a while. The guide works as adverstised but be sure to follow the chain lube restrictions. Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | LUBE AND DEGREASER COMPATIBILITY

I have the Bruiser waiting for me at the bike shop. I plan to install that tonight on my Endo and give it a proper thrashing this weekend.

My buddy is riding with the Race Face bash and this: wiggle.com | Hope Chain Guide - ISCG 05 Mount | Chain Guides & Bash Guards . If (when) I destroy another MRP guide I will be going that route for my Chil
    Sh!t!
    It says WD40 is not good. That's all I use to lube my chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Sh!t!
    It says WD40 is not good. That's all I use to lube my chain.
    You need to go back to using hairspray

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I use a wolftooth ring along with their integrated bash guard on my setup

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What cranks are you running? I ended up going with a MRP AMg because options were very limited for XT M785 cranks I've got even though they're 104BCD. I also didn't like how the smallest XCG was for 36T, you could always remove the top guide from the AMg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the reference to the Chromag bash guard F-Bomb. That goes on my parts list for my new Endorphin build.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My 2 cents about bash guards, whether taco or full ring guard.

The e13 turbo was pretty sweet in that it would slide over rocks quite nicely. The MRP 2x taco does things in a similar way. The alu rings (chromag and RF both look very nice) will not slide over the rocks as much, so if rolling something big enough that you probably should have dropped, it's going to steal more of your momentum at a time when you already have things moving forward.

The downside to the plastic might be issues with your preferred chain lube. I had to switch with my e13 turbo. The taco mount has the possibility of slipping if hit fairly hard and may rotate on the ISCG tab causing rear swing arm contact. So far it hasn't been an issue on my MRP 2x, but I did have to rotate it down a bit after an impact that left it nearly touching the chainstay. I guess the last thing is that front chainring cleaning is much easier with a taco then a full bash.

I doubt my ramblings will sway you one way or the other, but some might be more significant than others depending on your use and preferences.

BL
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    I had an MRP 2x when i had a 2x9 set up. When i went to a 1x10 setup with a RF 30 tooth narrow wide, i took the dremel to the guide part of the 2x and use whats left as a taco bash. Works great. If you have carbon cranks i would not use a regular bashguard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    I have been riding with the AMG for a while. [...]
    My buddy is riding with the Race Face bash and this [Hope top chain guide]
    Thanks Calhoun. I suppose my goal is to avoid top guide or bottom guides since narrow-wide chain rings and clutch derailleurs appear effective at retaining the chain. The taco of the MRP AMG seems very similar to that of of XCG...

So, how did it the Blackspire Bruiser go?

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I use a wolftooth ring along with their integrated bash guard on my setup.
    Thanks 006_007, I have seen this bash guard before, but the statement of the manufacturer leaves me to wonder how durable this one is:
    "These are designed for XC, trail and enduro riding. They are not meant for downhill use where heavy impacts are expected."
    What's your take on this? Does the bashguard take some abuse?
    Also, I do not have SRAM direct mount cranks. So, that takes this model out of the equation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust
    The e13 turbo was pretty sweet in that it would slide over rocks quite nicely. The MRP 2x taco does things in a similar way. The alu rings (chromag and RF both look very nice) will not slide over the rocks as much [...] The downside to the plastic might be issues with your preferred chain lube. [...] the last thing is that front chainring cleaning is much easier with a taco then a full bash.

I doubt my ramblings will sway you one way or the other
    I appreciate your ramblings BikeLust. It's good to know that plastic will slide better than aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by harry timbercrank
    When i went to a 1x10 setup with a RF 30 tooth narrow wide, i took the dremel to the guide part of the 2x and use whats left as a taco bash.
    Lol, you are right, Timbercrank, using a Dremel to cut the guides is a possible option for me, though it would sadden me a little to modify the guard in such an irreversible way.

Quote Originally Posted by mayonays
    What cranks are you running? I ended up going with a MRP AMg because options were very limited for XT M785 cranks I've got even though they're 104BCD.
    Thanks for the info. I do have Shimano Deore XT cranks, though I do not know which model exactly. What exactly is the compatibility issue you are talking about, mayonays?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    More interesting bashguard models:

I am currently thinking that a bash guard is a better solution for me, since it would protect the chain and ring in case the bike falls on the ground, or protect the rider in case the rider falls on the bike
    Last edited by F-Bomb; 02-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Deleted
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do have Shimano Deore XT cranks, though I do not know which model exactly. What exactly is the compatibility issue you are talking about, mayonays?
    Shimano XT M785 bashguard It's an issue with the XT double crankset. Not sure if it's just that one, but worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Thanks Calhoun. I suppose my goal is to avoid top guide or bottom guides since narrow-wide chain rings and clutch derailleurs appear effective at retaining the chain. The taco of the MRP AMG seems very similar to that of of XCG...

So, how did it the Blackspire Bruiser go?
    I got lazy this weekend and wanted to ride instead of work on my bikes. Didn't get it installed until yesterday, but I did get out for a quick ride with the dog to test it out. Never noticed it, so it works well so far.

The AMG was on my Chili and I needed to buy another guard. The Bruiser came in about $20 cheaper than the AMG so I thought I would give it a shot.

-cabra cadabra

Knollician
    I got lazy this weekend and wanted to ride instead of work on my bikes. Didn't get it installed until yesterday, but I did get out for a quick ride with the dog to test it out. Never noticed it, so it works well so far.

The AMG was on my Chili and I needed to buy another guard. The Bruiser came in about $20 cheaper than the AMG so I thought I would give it a shot.
    That is a nice looking option.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    Shimano XT M785 bashguard It's an issue with the XT double crankset. Not sure if it's just that one, but worth checking out.
    Thanks for the link, mayonas. I checked and I have the M770 cranks.

Looks nice, indeed.

I found this other interesting plastic bashguard:
    • Gamut P20S: 70g, 32-34T, 104BCD, shock-absorbing plastic. This is the evolution of the P20, with stronger crank bolt hole support and integrated aluminum inserts.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

I am about convert my Chili from a 1x10 system with full chainguide (upper, lower and taco protection) to a 1x11 speed with narrow-wide chainring (30T or 32T) and clutch derailleur. Note that the cranks will remain the same, i.e. 104BCD. This change will make the full chainguides redundant and I am now looking at the best options to protect the chainring, without any having upper or lower chain guides.

Any other models you recommend?

I just got a couple of the BS Bruisers for our bikes and they look very well made, strong and light.

Made in Canada as well which I like.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

info on the black chain? thought coloured chains were only for single speed trains

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leexy View Post
    info on the black chain? thought coloured chains were only for single speed trains
    Connex by Wippermann

I snagged it on Chainlove for cheap and now I know why. Rarely have I broken a chain but I have broken this one 3 times. Not worth the money, putting a SRAM on this morning.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for everyone's advice. My decision was to go with a plastic bashguard, the Gamut P20S. It is difficult to find at the moment, or costly, and so, I ordered the the Race Face Lightweight Bash (aluminum).

mtbr member
    Connex by Wippermann

I snagged it on Chainlove for cheap and now I know why. Rarely have I broken a chain but I have broken this one 3 times. Not worth the money, putting a SRAM on this morning.
    I waited too long:

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Damn. That really sucks.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Damn. That really sucks.
    ^^^ Ditto that ^^^
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Oh snap!

Short cage RD?

mtbr member
    Yup

A short lived, short cage. About 3 weeks worth of riding. Luckily I had a spare and a new chain so I was back out riding in about an hour.

-cabra cadabra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast