Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Bent Shock Bolt

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    315

    Bent Shock Bolt

    I thought I heard mention that you can find these in the hardware store...Is that the case?

    Also, any word on the 3D rocker arm replacement to improve strength?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,097
    Nope you cannot find exact replacements in a hardware store. You can find the right length and grade, but they are just normal steel with no coating so they will rust easily. I had to order them from Amazon to get them in the grade Noel recommends with the rust proof/anti oxidizing coating, at a $20 shipped for a 10 pack. I sold a few to Cheezwhip and Muttonchops, but have a few left if you need it. Just PM me.

    I've not heard anything on the 3D rockers in a bit.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,708
    not to undersell rscecil but any luck with McMaster Carr?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,097
    I think I looked there, but they were a bit more expensive? I honestly can't remember though, so if anyone find out, please let us know.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  5. #5
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Nope you cannot find exact replacements in a hardware store. You can find the right length and grade, but they are just normal steel with no coating so they will rust easily. I had to order them from Amazon to get them in the grade Noel recommends with the rust proof/anti oxidizing coating, at a $20 shipped for a 10 pack. I sold a few to Cheezwhip and Muttonchops, but have a few left if you need it. Just PM me.

    I've not heard anything on the 3D rockers in a bit.
    Every bolt head on my Chili rusted after the first wash . This has been my only complaint to date about it. How can I get rid of the rust and stop it from happening again?

    NOTE: Rusty-looking bolts are not a big deal. A little surface rust on bolt ends is a cosmetic issue. That's why I haven't mentioned it before, or even contacted Knolly about it. I only brought it up because it seemed an appropriate question for this thread. My Chili is the best bike I've ever owned and will buy another Knolly without hesitation.
    Last edited by TSC; 11-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  6. #6
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Every bolt head on my Chili rusted after the first wash . This has been my only complaint to date about it. How can I get rid of the rust and stop it from happening again?

    NOTE: Rusty-looking bolts are not a big deal. A little surface rust on bolt ends is a cosmetic issue. That's why I haven't mentioned it before, or even contacted Knolly about it. I only brought it up because it seemed an appropriate question for this thread. My Chili is the best bike I've ever owned and will buy another Knolly without hesitation.
    From what I under stand a few frames came out with black oxide bolts rather than a black zinc ( I think that's what they call it ) coating.

    I have the same rusty bolts on my own Chilli.

  7. #7
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    From what I under stand a few frames came out with black oxide bolts rather than a black zinc ( I think that's what they call it ) coating.

    I have the same rusty bolts on my own Chilli.
    Thanks for the info. Less than an hour after I posted this I got a PM from Noel telling me how to get the replacement bolts. Uber-cool when papa bear himself addresses a silly thing like this. (I was expecting someone to give an answer like: pain-thinner on a q-tip and some Rust-Oleum.) I'm going to take Noel up on the new bolts because I'm sure I will be checking my pivot points some day during the winter when I wish I were riding.

    My first experience with the legendary "Knolly customer service" and I'm very impressed.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Thanks for the info. Less than an hour after I posted this I got a PM from Noel telling me how to get the replacement bolts. Uber-cool when papa bear himself addresses a silly thing like this. (I was expecting someone to give an answer like: pain-thinner on a q-tip and some Rust-Oleum.) I'm going to take Noel up on the new bolts because I'm sure I will be checking my pivot points some day during the winter when I wish I were riding.

    My first experience with the legendary "Knolly customer service" and I'm very impressed.
    Interesting....I have a bent bolt and rusting hardware, however, I still believe this is the "Best Bike of All-Time". The 3D rockers would be a really nice completion. I'm lucky I caught the bent bolt before it snapped on my next drop!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,097
    that bolt must be strong as hell. You should have seen Mutton's rockers with his bent bolt.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  10. #10
    Yebo Numzaan
    Reputation: Muttonchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    that bolt must be strong as hell. You should have seen Mutton's rockers with his bent bolt.
    Dont know what you talking about. I am as smooth as silk...hardly even need suspension.
    I support EMBA

  11. #11
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,319
    Anyone that has a bent upper shock bolt, please PM me. Those looking for extra/backup bolts should head to the hardware store. Thanks.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3

    Lost pivot bolt

    I lost the drive-side main pivot bolt on my VooDoo Canzo. Is this something I can simply replace at the hardware store or do I need to see if VooDoo can send me one?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Anyone that has a bent upper shock bolt, please PM me. Those looking for extra/backup bolts should head to the hardware store. Thanks.
    First post, so can't PM yet. I bent the upper shock bolt earlier this week. I can PM details when I get post # up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •