Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    TSC
    Buehliever

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Craig, at Avalanche Racing Products, is trying to make an Avalanche Advantage Fork Kit for the Marzocchi 55. To do this he needs 10 or more Marz 55s to analyze (i.e. take measurements of). Without an adequate sampling (10+ forks) the fork kit for the 55 won't happen.

I volunteered my 2010 Marzocchi 55 Micro Air Ti Fork to the cause. (That makes 3 or 4.)

Note: I don't know if Craig will reimburse shipping, but he will probably hook you up if he doesn't. Personally, I didn't ask; as my fork needs an oil change and I doubt he, in good conscience, would put the old, black goop back in.

Avalanche Downhill Racing, Inc.
    12 Davidson Road
    Colchester, CT 06415-1600
    USA

Phone 860-537-4306 Fax 860-537-8260
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

TSC
    Buehliever
    Someone, please create a similar thread in the "Shocks and Suspension" forum. I have never posted in that forum so I think it would be a bit inappropriate of me to start out with a new thread that is a plea.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Just noticed that Craig is in the Knolly forum. I guess my "fork-oil surprise" won't be much of a surprise after all.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I would volunteer my 2012 rc3 ti but its in Phoenix and I won't be back down there for another 3-4 weeks. If it can wait, i'll send it then.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    I would volunteer my 2012 rc3 ti but its in Phoenix and I won't be back down there for another 3-4 weeks. If it can wait, i'll send it then.
    That should work, but I would ask Craig when you have it in your possession. Thanks!

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I guess there must be more interest now. Ever since I got my 55 for my Chili I just cant get it to feel good. I even called Marz and tried more oil, more air, still doesn't feel as good as my old Fox 36 Talas.
    When i called Craig to inquire about a cart, there was not enough interest for him to pursue it.
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare fork that would substitute so I can't send mine in.

mtbr member
    Just called Craig and I'll be sending in my 55 as well.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Just called Craig and I'll be sending in my 55 as well.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare fork that would substitute so I can't send mine in.
    He really only needs your fork for a day or less (actually hours) to take some measurements. Since you live in the New England area, you could probably arrange it so your fork was only gone for short period (counting mailing). You might want to call Craig and see what you can arrange.

Every fork helps! (I feel I should add a "yeah team" after that sentence. Not sure how I volunteered myself to be head cheerleader for this. I really must not want to do my own work. )

mtbr member
    What years are you looking for? I have a friends 55 sitting in my garage. It was a lemon since day one. I think it must be an 08 or '09.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    What years are you looking for? I have a friends 55 sitting in my garage. It was a lemon since day one. I think it must be an 08 or '09.
    We need all years and models, we do not have any this old yet.

mtbr member
    I'll send my 2011 Micro Ti in next week after Christmas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yo, send me an Avy'd Lyrik to test, and change my seals, you can borrow my 2012 55 for measurement. .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Yo, send me an Avy'd Lyrik to test, and change my seals, you can borrow my 2012 55 for measurement. .
    ^^^^^ This +1...... (Although mine is just an old 2009, my 2011 is on a slow boat to the UK Sold.)

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    ^^^^^ This +1...... (Although mine is just an old 2009, my 2011 is on a slow boat to the UK Sold.)
    If you can part with your 2009 for a week or so then send it in. As Craig said, he needs as many model years (and multiple examples of each model year) as he can get.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2011 RC3 Ti Evo will be on its way Jan 2nd.

Greystoke
    Probably a performance gain for an older fork but my 2012 55 Ti Evo is perfect, so why fix something that isn't broke?
    Not to mention what happens to any warranty with aftermarket tweaking.

Knollician
    Cool see you guys sending in your forks. Craig is such a great guy and it is great to see the Knolly crew stepping up to help Craig out (and hopefully yourselves )

I spoke to Craig the other day, and he mentioned he has been knocking out all kinds of work for Chilcotins, SWEET!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    Probably a performance gain for an older fork but my 2012 55 Ti Evo is perfect, so why fix something that isn't broke?
    Have you had an opportunity to ride one of Craig's cartridges? I thought the Lyrik DH was the best damper on the market, better than the Fox RC2, and better than the 55 RC3 Ti.

After the cartridge upgrade, nothing I have been on even comes close to the performance of a custom tuned damper.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

TSC
    Buehliever
    ...Not to mention what happens to any warranty with aftermarket tweaking.
    Not exactly sure what you mean, so I will answer both possibilities:

-- Craig needs the forks to measure. It will be the equivalent to doing a fork tear-down for annual maintenance. It won't void a warranty or cause damage.

-- With some forks you have to enlarge the bottom whole (e.g. Lyrik I think) for the Avy cartridge, so you couldn't replace the original components if a warranty repair was required. In this situation, a manufacturer could play nasty and void your warranty even though the failure was caused by their components and not Avalanche's fault. Other forks don't require any type of mod (e.g. Marz 66) and the original parts could be substituted before returning for warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you cannot state plainly what you're not getting, you have nothing to fix. I suspect the guys who see huge differences are heavier.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    If you can part with your 2009 for a week or so then send it in. As Craig said, he needs as many model years (and multiple examples of each model year) as he can get.
    Just checked shipping and it's not going to be as much as I thought ($16) so I'll get it boxed up and sent next week.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just checked shipping and it's not going to be as much as I thought ($16) so I'll get it boxed up and sent next week.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    If you cannot state plainly what you're not getting, you have nothing to fix.
    Translation: Ignorance is bliss!

There's nothing wrong with this way of thinking. It's a lot cheaper and requires less time. Imagine how much better your life would have been if you had discovered this nugget of wisdom before purchasing a Knolly!

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Not exactly sure what you mean, so I will answer both possibilities:

-- Craig needs the forks to measure. It will be the equivalent to doing a fork tear-down for annual maintenance. It won't void a warranty or cause damage.

-- With some forks you have to enlarge the bottom whole (e.g. Lyrik I think) for the Avy cartridge, so you couldn't replace the original components if a warranty repair was required. In this situation, a manufacturer could play nasty and void your warranty even though the failure was caused by their components and not Avalanche's fault. Other forks don't require any type of mod (e.g. Marz 66) and the original parts could be substituted before returning for warranty.
    Fair enough if parts can be swapped easily to retain the warranty.

I know I've owned Fox & Rockshox forks that I never got the performance I was after , but other friends forks worked good from day one. Mass production quality control can be a little off.
    The 55 Ti Evo for me has been good from day one( except for the removal of the plastic spring wrapper) my thinking was the 55 had a better strike rate?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast