Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Dude... Not in front of the kids...
    And you just had to take it there....
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I'm so sorry baby; but you never told me that area was off limits.

Please forgive me; and give me one more try!

Sorry for the forgery, cheezwhip. I just wanted to show Ryan that his word selection is not helping his cause.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This thread started there.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is there a weight difference between the Avy and stock cartridge set-up?

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Is there a weight difference between the Avy and stock cartridge set-up?
    The Avy innards are higher quality so they will weigh a bit more. The biggest difference would be in the amount of oil required and I'm not sure how it compares. Sorry that I'm not more helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    did craig manage to get this cartridge sorted and on sale.
    im thinking of getting a 55 marz for the endo build, my mate is selling a brand new 13 micro switch at a pretty good price, or i may go for the 55cr.
    if i get these and they are no good i was thinking of the avalanch cartridge to upgrade them.
    if they are on sale. is anyone using one, and what are peoples thoughts.
    thanks ian.

MPI
    mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Mine 55 RC3 Evo Ti weighted after conversion and with non Ti X-Fusion stiffer spring 2490g.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    did craig manage to get this cartridge sorted and on sale.
    im thinking of getting a 55 marz for the endo build, my mate is selling a brand new 13 micro switch at a pretty good price, or i may go for the 55cr.
    if i get these and they are no good i was thinking of the avalanch cartridge to upgrade them.
    if they are on sale. is anyone using one, and what are peoples thoughts.
    thanks ian.
    They are on sale; and people are loving them. If your curious about which shock to get, then you might want to call Craig. He's probably had them all apart and can tell what's good and bad about all of them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Need a push. I'm having a hard time justifying a $427 for a fork upgrade but my 55 is not getting full travel since getting serviced. I was to lazy to service it myself and sent it off to garageworks along with my db air when i got the high volume sleeve. Not sure if there is to much oil in the damper or what but it's ramping up extremely fast and nearly imposibble to use more than half its travel even on drops to flat. It seemed a bit stiff from the beginning and have thought of a softer spring if that's even an option thinking the damper can't be that bad. Any suggestions?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    Need a push. I'm having a hard time justifying a $427 for a fork upgrade but my 55 is not getting full travel since getting serviced. I was to lazy to service it myself and sent it off to garageworks along with my db air when i got the high volume sleeve. Not sure if there is to much oil in the damper or what but it's ramping up extremely fast and nearly imposibble to use more than half its travel even on drops to flat. It seemed a bit stiff from the beginning and have thought of a softer spring if that's even an option thinking the damper can't be that bad. Any suggestions?
    Remove 10ccs of oil at a time from the damper. Most certainly sounds like there is way too much oil in it.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    to me, one of the biggest benefits of the Av. cartridge is being able to get all of the travel when you would expect to. because of the stock Marz. damper, it is virtually impossibleto get all of the travel. that was Craig's comment & it was true in my case.
    breezy shade

TSC
    Buehliever
    What year and version of 55 do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Take the spring out, leave that side open. Remove the valve core form the cartridge side and compress the fork to full travel until oil stops coming out. Then, and only, then begin removing more oil to taste.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks for the replies, i'll take some oil out this weekend but won't be back on dirt til the following weekend so we'll see. the fork is a 2012 rc3 ti.

mtbr member
    Where the $427 is a good chunk of change, it is easily worth it, and you'll wonder why you didn't do it after the first ride. But I agree with the others, sounds like it has too much oil in it from what your description of what it's doing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI View Post
    Mine 55 RC3 Evo Ti weighted after conversion and with non Ti X-Fusion stiffer spring 2490g.
    Now riddle me this. Why are people paying $500 to change what is by far, the best cartridge (RC3) in Marzocchi's lineup. I have yet to see or use one that is not completely awesome. They are the most popular fork around here by far. It is plush all the way through, and feels like a DH fork, removes all bumps from the trail, big or small.

Now any other cartridge I can completely understand, they have all been **** the past few years. Myself and many others have destroyed TST2's and R's many times. My old fork was warrantied three times, twice because of the TST2 cartridge. I switched it out for a 55 RC3 fork, and never looked back!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by gapowell14 View Post
    Now riddle me this. Why are people paying $500 to change what is by far, the best cartridge (RC3) in Marzocchi's lineup. I have yet to see or use one that is not completely awesome. They are the most popular fork around here by far. It is plush all the way through, and feels like a DH fork, removes all bumps from the trail, big or small.

Now any other cartridge I can completely understand, they have all been **** the past few years. Myself and many others have destroyed TST2's and R's many times. My old fork was warrantied three times, twice because of the TST2 cartridge. I switched it out for a 55 RC3 fork, and never looked back!
    The best you know is the best you have ridden. Until you ride an Avy you will not understand.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I can understand your thoughts gapowell. I bought a 888 Evo RC3 Ti for my Podium thinking it would be enough and since it had such a good reputation for a stock fork. And even though I easily paid to have Craig tune the rear shocks for both my bikes, I had a hard time biting off $427 or whatever for the cart for my 55 RC3 at first.

But now that I've done it, I really want to put his cart in my 888. Until you ride one, it's just hard to put down in words. It just does exactly what it needs to when it needs to. The bike just disappears under you along with the bumps/roots/etc and you can focus more on your technique and other aspects of riding. There are at least 4 or 5 of us that have fully Avy'd Chilcotins. I think we'd all agree it's easily worth it and one of the best upgrades we ever did to our bikes.

mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

I think we'd all agree it's easily worth it and one of the best upgrades we ever did to our bikes.
    It's the best upgrade I've ever done for my hack riding skills. ;/)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

TSC
    Buehliever
    thanks for the replies, i'll take some oil out this weekend but won't be back on dirt til the following weekend so we'll see. the fork is a 2012 rc3 ti.
    Where the rc3 has a TI spring then you can try the following:

1) Transfer as much of the preload as possible from the air preload to the spring preload. This will make it more linear and is the simplest to try. (The air preload is Marz's way of creating a one-size-fits-all spring; so use as much of the spring as possible.)

2) If #1 doesn't work; try reducing the oil.

Of course, getting an Avy upgrade will fix the problem and make a great fork fantastic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's the best upgrade I've ever done for my hack riding skills. ;/)
    Does this mean your bike is a Turner? Frankly, I don't see a lot of people taking the Avy over the Knolly as their 'single best upgrade' to whatever.

mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Does this mean your bike is a Turner? Frankly, I don't see a lot of people taking the Avy over the Knolly as their 'single best upgrade' to whatever.
    I guess my Pinnochio smiley didn't work very well. :-) The Avy's are actually not on my Turners - they're on my Chili and the suspension enhances an already awesome chassis to such a degree that I'd do it again without hesitation if given the choice.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I can understand your thoughts gapowell. I bought a 888 Evo RC3 Ti for my Podium thinking it would be enough and since it had such a good reputation for a stock fork. And even though I easily paid to have Craig tune the rear shocks for both my bikes, I had a hard time biting off $427 or whatever for the cart for my 55 RC3 at first.

But now that I've done it, I really want to put his cart in my 888. Until you ride one, it's just hard to put down in words. It just does exactly what it needs to when it needs to. The bike just disappears under you along with the bumps/roots/etc and you can focus more on your technique and other aspects of riding. There are at least 4 or 5 of us that have fully Avy'd Chilcotins. I think we'd all agree it's easily worth it and one of the best upgrades we ever did to our bikes.
    yeah, i got an 2011 66 rc3 evo ti on my delirium and I would never believe it could be better but this 55 doesn't come close to the feeling of the 66. what's different? i'm a sucker for upgrades and i haven't heard anyone that has the avy cart say it's over-rated, so there must be something to it!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok guys, I did as Mrwhlr suggested and opened up spring side and damper side and compressed the fork. Oil level is about 25mm from the top while fully compressed which seems like plenty of room but I removed 10-15 cc of oil anyways. I screwed the damper cap back on while fork was fully extended and had the same ramp up problems. I then opened the damper up and compressed the fork and screwed the cap back on and now it's more linear. Can air volume inside the damper have this much effect? I have never ran any air preload previously because it felt way to harsh even with just one pump of air.
    I originally had the fork serviced because it was sitting compressed about 10 mm with no rider on it which now seems like this is an air volume issue as well. Any more suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Any more suggestions?
    The reason to remove the spring is only to isolate the damper side and allow you to compress the fork in order to determine the damper-side oil volume effect.

If there is way too much oil, you will not be able to compress the fork to full travel at all. Removing that valve core allows enough oil out, until you can compress it fully, without guessing about it. The volume I got from Marzocchi makes it impossible to compress fully w/ no spring, so I don't use that #. .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5