Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For those interested, we just posted the installation and set-up manual for the Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO Ti Avalanche cartridge. This will help you see what you are up against if you decide to do the self install kit.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.c...%20Install.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crseekins View Post
    For those interested, we just posted the installation and set-up manual for the Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO Ti Avalanche cartridge. This will help you see what you are up against if you decide to do the self install kit.

Looks good Craig, makes the Lyrik self-install kit appear basic.

If I could suggest one thing, if the kit comes with separate components (ie, ABS oil lock ring) it would be helpful if you could have the components labeled. It might just help the customer understand what they are looking at when preparing to do the install.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Very nice. The only tricky part looks to be removing the rebound rod out of the Marz damper and installing it in the AVA damper.

Here's hoping I do not need a propane torch for that!!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member

Thanks Craig! It's nice seeing my fork getting the spa treatment :-)

We're going to have some fun installing rscecil007's cart!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Thanks Craig! It's nice seeing my fork getting the spa treatment :-)

We're going to have some fun installing rscecil007's cart!
    It looks like we might of made the install look harder than it really is, but we just took allot of pictures to help clarify the install.

We are currently installing them for free for anyone who feels like they can't handle it. Just send your fork in and get the spa treatment!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Looks good Craig, makes the Lyrik self-install kit appear basic.

If I could suggest one thing, if the kit comes with separate components (ie, ABS oil lock ring) it would be helpful if you could have the components labeled. It might just help the customer understand what they are looking at when preparing to do the install.
    Thanks for the help on this, we will add these pictures as we update the manual this week.

%$#$*!
    It looks like we might of made the install look harder than it really is, but we just took allot of pictures to help clarify the install.

We are currently installing them for free for anyone who feels like they can't handle it. Just send your fork in and get the spa treatment!
    Wow! Great Deal! Is that just for 55's or does that include Lyrik's as well?

TSC
    Buehliever
    Just spent 30 minutes on the phone talking with Craig about fork design, theory and my "2010 Marzocchi 55 Micro Air Ti" which is complete with TST Micro technology. According to the Marz website:
    TST Micro is the greatest evolution of TST closed cartridge hydraulic systems. The black knob installed in the lower part of the fork leg adjusts the rebound. The red-coloured top knob sets Micro System to adjust the compression. The Micro adjustment (golden knob on the top of the fork leg) sets the operating threshold of compression by adapting the behaviour of the suspension system to the type of terrain. Lockout is activated by turning the golden knob completely in the closed position, then shifting the red lever.
    I hope Craig posts a picture of "TST Micro technology". I got a big chuckle out of it when told me what it is--a ball check valve with no shims or anything except a spring you tighten.

No wonder I could never get the fork to perform as advertised. If TST Micro is the "greatest evolution of TST closed cartridge hydraulic systems", then I would hate to even imagine what the previous versions were like.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How long is this "spa treatment deal" going on for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Just spent 30 minutes on the phone talking with Craig about fork design, theory and my "2010 Marzocchi 55 Micro Air Ti" which is complete with TST Micro technology. According to the Marz website:

I hope Craig posts a picture of "TST Micro technology". I got a big chuckle out of it when told me what it is--a ball check valve with no shims or anything except a spring you tighten.

No wonder I could never get the fork to perform as advertised. If TST Micro is the "greatest evolution of TST closed cartridge hydraulic systems", then I would hate to even imagine what the previous versions were like.
    It's air suspension, what did you expect? I'd sell sh!t to fecalpheliacs too, Marz knows their business . I hope you spent some of Craig's time asking how to convert that to a coil spring.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    How long is this "spa treatment deal" going on for?
    We are still looking to install them in all versions of the 55. We are doing the install for free until we have all the fitment data and assembly pictures taken.

TSC
    Buehliever
    One update: I spoke with Craig yesterday and he said that RC3 caps/plugs work and he is deciding between sourcing them and building his own. So, from what I gather, the Avy'd Marz 55 RC3 is already a go ; and the 55 TST (my version) is a go with a different cap. I don't believe anyone has sent in another version of the 55 for Craig to see what needs to be done to get it Avy'd.

BTW, I ordered an RC3 cap from Marz and it is on the way.

TSC
    Buehliever
    FYI: I just created another version of this thread in the Suspensions forum to get more variations of the Marz 55 for Craig to measure. (Apparently you all are big spenders and only have TOL forks. )

In Suspensions Forum: Avy'd Marzocchi 55

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A little off topic, but I switched from a 55RC3 to a micro ti, because I wanted the travel adjust...

It's ok, but not super happy about how it performs compared to the RC3. Was going to swap out cartridges (keep the travel adjust) but thinking Avi might be a better way to go. I would like it to be more supple, yet firm (if that makes sense).

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Several questions so I can help you:

1) What year is your fork? Marz changes things up often (e.g. 2009 55RC3 was an air fork).

2) Is your travel adjust feature in the same leg as you preload (e.g. spring)?

3) By "supple, yet firm" are you saying:
    a) you don't want harsh feedback from a bumps in the trail; and
    b) want the fork not to dive in corners or bob up and down when you are pedaling out of the seat?

mtbr member
    I've had 2 rides on my AVY'd 55 and it's breaking in nicely. Gone is the brake dive (my only complaint really w/ the stock RC3 EVO Ti) - I was able to set it up to 25% sag without the use of air-assist.

First ride was 'ok' - brake dive was muted but due to excessive sag (~30%), it was still there. On the second ride with RSCecil007, I correctly set my sag to Craig's recommended (~22-25%), the brake dive went away & there's actually discernible midstroke support. The front end of my bike is very well-mannered now with the AVY cart - I'd say the biggest difference now is the bike "disappears" under me (rear shock is also an AVY'd DHX5 Coil) and I just flow through the chunk on the downs now. It really frees me up to just think about line choice/body position/cornering and not have to waste clock-cycles fighting with the bike as much. Controlled, quality damping - who'd a thunk it'd put a damping effect on my hack riding skills ;-)

A couple of notes:

> I had to turn down the rebound a little (speed it up) from the settings that Craig had them at when I received it but it's really apparent how much difference a single click makes. (from 11 to 7 clicks)
    > I'd been running my forks @ 30-33% sag for too long (maybe its from my DH days)
    > Small-bump compliance is still really good with the AVY Cart
    > Control, control, control
    > Still need to play with LS-Compression/Rebound settings some more - Craig is great at providing feedback to help here
    > I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating: Craig really knows his SH*t

Tested on the trails in this video:

Video: "Sunday" With Bryn Atkinson - Pinkbike

Edit: that ain't me in the vid ;-) but that's home court for us
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 01-30-2013 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine is on the way back and hopefully will be here Friday or Saturday, so Sir Cheez and I can do the install Sat night.

If all goes well, I know of a good run we can go do on Sunday to really put it through it's paces....

TSC
    Buehliever
    Nice writeup! Can it get you to cross-post it to this thread: Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Craig still needs more variations of the 55 to test. Your writeup will create additional interest among the non-Knolly crowd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Several questions so I can help you:

1) What year is your fork? Marz changes things up often (e.g. 2009 55RC3 was an air fork).

2) Is your travel adjust feature in the same leg as you preload (e.g. spring)?

3) By "supple, yet firm" are you saying:
    a) you don't want harsh feedback from a bumps in the trail; and
    b) want the fork not to dive in corners or bob up and down when you are pedaling out of the seat?
    Thanks TSC...

Started on a 2010 Rc3 ti. Really liked it. Currently have 2012 Micro...

I am pals with the boys @ Marzocchi, and have been a royal pain in the butt about this fork, so I am comfortable that it is running as well as it can. I realize that the 55 will not feel as plush as my 888, but a guy can dream.

Preload and TA are on the same side.

I cant seem to find the balance between too much dive, and feeling harsh. So yes, to a and b. Seems to wallow mid stroke.

I am not a big fan of air suspension, as I think it lacks suppleness when run a bit firm (although the CCDBAir on my Chilcotin seems to be an exception to this!).

I am not opposed to switching out the Micro out for RC3, but want to know what options there are out there.

Does the Avy have a travel adjust feature?

Thanks!

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    Does the Avy have a travel adjust feature?
    My 55 is basically the same fork as yours. I could never get it feel right either. I'm excited to see how my Avy'd version feels.

No, the Avy cartridge doesn't have a travel adjust. The Avy cart would replace the LH (TST Mirco) side of the fork.

One thing to note: Craig is currently using the plug and cap that came with the fork. The TST cap doesn't have a click to it (at least my 2010 version didn't) so I opted to buy the RC3 cap (RH side of the RC3 fork) for the LH side of my fork so I could count clicks (and I was afraid that the TST cap might drift).

Funny thought: The RC3 uses a one-size-fits-all TI spring in the LH leg and the "Air Preload" in the RH leg (accessed via the RC3 cap) to adjust sag and ride. One could use the "Air Preload" in the RC3 cap to adjust height--just open the schrader valve and push down on the fork to create a vacuum.

Since our TST forks have all "elastic system" in the RH side, I would just need to return the compression side to a neutral pressure after the climb to make the fork work correctly. RC3 owners could do the same thing, but they would need to pull out their shock pumps to get the sag set again. Obviously, it's ubber-ghetto but it's there if you get desperate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The stanchions on my 55 have many very shallow scratches on one of the stanchions. They are smooth to the touch and not jagged, however, it concerns me that if I am going to spend the money on the avalanche cartridge, I dont want it to have any problems.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avy'd Marzocchi 55-img_0583.jpg  

TSC
    Buehliever
    In general, the concern over stanchion scratches seems to be two-fold:

1) Ripping up the forks seals.

2) Letting dirt/grime in, because the seals can't sweep it away.

Since yours are smooth, #1 shouldn't be an issue. If you have any reason for concern (your scratches look minimal) then #2 is probably more of an issue. The severity of #2 depends on: a) if the scratches are on the spring side or hydraulic side of the fork (spring side is less sensitive); b) if the scratches are big and/or deep enough to let in significant debris in that can clog up your compression and rebound circuits; and c) if you change your fork oil regularly (dirt and grime and increase wear).

That said, there are lots of simple remedies to fix stanchion scratches. Just Google "stanchion scratch repair" and you will find tons. Here's a random one (not necessarily endorsing it) that has pictures and step by step instructions: BikeRadar.com • View topic - Scratched your Fork Legs?

Hope this helps.

The preliminary reports I've been hearing from some buddies are gushing (e.g. "mid stroke support is nuts, brake dive is pretty much gone unless you completely unweight the back endo style.") I should get mine back in a few weeks; then I need to find a place without 2+ feet of snow on the ground to ride.

mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Update:

The fork has been really just stellar - it's freed me up to notice other things on the ride other than wrestling with the bike (like "my front tire isn't biting very well in the corners today" or "was that an equisetum I just rolled over?")

Craig suggested I turn the preload down a little and give a few pumps into the air preload to balance things out - haven't played much with the compression yet but when I'm riding, it's kind of a pain to bust out the tools and besides, it's pretty d@mned good where it's at. (I do want play with this setting more though).

I settled with the rebound @ 8.5 clicks (which is approximately 13 clicks on the production model carts - my unit is a preproduction cart so the rebound range is a little less granular than the production ones).

I'm really appreciating the midstroke support and how the bike is sitting more level/higher in the travel - it's just so composed that I think I'm actually riding faster... I find myself having more of these "oh sh!t" moments when I realize I'm going faster than usual on the same trails (usually resulting in me grabbing a fistful of brake lever) - I attribute this to the suspension doing a better job of smoothing the trails out.

I really liked the stock RC3 EVO Ti but the improvement to me going to the AVY cart is dramatic - I couldn't be happier with the upgrade so a big thank you to Craig for making this available on the 55!
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 02-19-2013 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    it's just so composed that I think I'm actually riding faster...
    He is, and I'm practically killing myself trying to stay on his @ss.

mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    He is, and I'm practically killing myself trying to stay on his @ss.

Dude... Not in front of the kids...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast