Thread: Avy'd Endo

%$#$*!

Avy'd Endo

So I've had the new Endo for a few months now and finally pulled the trigger on an Avy cartridge for my lowered (150mm) lyrik solo air. I know I'm crazy for outfitting the Endo this way, but it's my "one" bike and I'm a bit picky about my suspension.

I've been thinking about getting the cartridge ever since it first came out but was a little skeptical about the performance gains vs. the $$$. All I can say is WOW. I'm impressed in every way. It met my expectations, which is admittedly very high, since I've had an Avy Chubie on 3 different bikes and know Craig's work. I didn't think the Lyrik was a terrible fork, but it was lacking in high speed performance and would spike when things got really rough. The Avy'd lyrik practically erases the terrain and gives me so much more control in the hairy situations. Low speed performance is improved as well, but I think high speed situations are where the fork really shines.

Also picked up a zee clutch derailleur and set it up for 9speed using a sram X-7 shifter (Thanks to an ingenious mtbr member for figuring this out). Loving the clutch as well. Makes things so much more silent and no chain drops.

All in all, I'm loving this setup and the ride of the new Endo. Prior to this I had the older model endorphin which I really liked, but I feel the way I have mine set up now, it climbs, corners, and even descends better than the older model and is a lot lighter on top of it. Sorry for the crappy non-action pics. I usually ride alone and am too selfish/lazy to stop mid-ride to set up a timer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avy'd Endo-avy.jpg  

Avy'd Endo-zee.jpg  

Avy'd Endo-endo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the Zee setup sounds good!

Did you make the spacer & what size front chain rings are you running?

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Knollician
    Ummmmm... SWEET! I've been running the cartridge for a long time and swear by it. Your thoughts are very similar to mine. The Lyrik damper is pretty good, but the fork goes to a whole new level once Avy'd. If I didn't tell you I had a solo air, you'd think it is a coil. The damper will break in over time and will get even smoother, which will make the small bump and LSC feel incredible. The HSC is what sets this damper apart from anything else I have been on. It is so good, so controlled, and not even a hint of spiking or inconsistent performance.

I now have zero desire to even look at a new fork. If I have to buy a new fork, it will only be a fork that the cartridge will fit.

One word of advise, even though the you now have an open bath damper which technically has longer service intervals, I would suggest changing your oil regularly. I change my oil every 3 months to be sure the oil is clean and the fork is working at its best. Overkill, maybe, but at $450 for the cartridge, a few minutes of work is worth it. I find this to be true for any fork. I would change my oil regularly in my Marzocchis as well.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulga Bill View Post
    the Zee setup sounds good!

Did you make the spacer & what size front chain rings are you running?
    Yeah I made the spacer as close to .236" as I could get. It was surprisingly easy to get it to work. Running a 32t now, but might experiment with other sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Yeah I made the spacer as close to .236" as I could get. It was surprisingly easy to get it to work. Running a 32t now, but might experiment with other sizes.
    So you need a spacer? Fm had said he was runining it without one. It's good it will wok with a spacer anyways

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Ummmmm... SWEET! I've been running the cartridge for a long time and swear by it. Your thoughts are very similar to mine. The Lyrik damper is pretty good, but the fork goes to a whole new level once Avy'd. If I didn't tell you I had a solo air, you'd think it is a coil. The damper will break in over time and will get even smoother, which will make the small bump and LSC feel incredible. The HSC is what sets this damper apart from anything else I have been on. It is so good, so controlled, and not even a hint of spiking or inconsistent performance.

I now have zero desire to even look at a new fork. If I have to buy a new fork, it will only be a fork that the cartridge will fit.

One word of advise, even though the you now have an open bath damper which technically has longer service intervals, I would suggest changing your oil regularly. I change my oil every 3 months to be sure the oil is clean and the fork is working at its best. Overkill, maybe, but at $450 for the cartridge, a few minutes of work is worth it. I find this to be true for any fork. I would change my oil regularly in my Marzocchis as well.
    Thanks for the tip on oil changes and break in period. Good to know! I softened up my compression a couple of clicks to compensate until it fully breaks in. I will definitely be taking care of the cartridge considering how much it cost and how much I love it. I completely agree about finding a new fork (if this one dies) that will be able to fit the cartridge. The funny thing to me is how quickly the Avy cartridge has become my new "normal". It's hard to imagine doing any hard riding without it now now that I'm spoiled. Forgot to mention in my initial post how good the mid-valve is as well in controlling diving.

One thing that Craig mentioned to me is that I was in the "good" air pressure range for a solo air, being a lightweight. He said if I was much heavier he'd definitely recommend me going with coil. Something for heavier riders to consider.

Just for the record, I'm not a blind fan of any one company/brand (I'm currently running a ccdbair as well), but I give praise when I feel it's due. The first time I rode down this fairly fast, rocky section of my local trails, the one that usually has my teeth chattering, I was immediately like whoah....I had a smile on my face thinking this is the real deal. Avalanche makes some good stuff!

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    So you need a spacer? Fm had said he was runining it without one. It's good it will wok with a spacer anyways
    I'm not sure if you absolutely need one. I didn't try it without. I've read conflicting reports on it with some saying it's not necessary and some saying that it was better to have one. I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to shifting issues. The spacer was super easy to get at a local hardware store and it took me about a minute to grind a tiny groove with a dremel tool. It's good to know that it will work fine without it and I definitely trust FM's experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I freakin love your Endo. Awesome bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    I freakin love your Endo. Awesome bike.
    Seriously. Makes me think I could handle an endo on the local trails!

%$#$*!
    Thanks guys. With this set up it can surprisingly handle a lot. It helps that I'm smaller and lighter so I can get away with a lot more on this frame than a heavier rider. When I move back west again I will definitely be looking for something to compliment it. Maybe the new Delirium will be out by then?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Thanks guys. With this set up it can surprisingly handle a lot. It helps that I'm smaller and lighter so I can get away with a lot more on this frame than a heavier rider. When I move back west again I will definitely be looking for something to compliment it. Maybe the new Delirium will be out by then?
    Note to self: get smaller and lighter.

%$#$*!
    lol!

1. get smaller and lighter
    2. ?
    3. profit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Note to self: get smaller and lighter.
    good luck with that!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    The damper will break in over time and will get even smoother, which will make the small bump and LSC feel incredible. The HSC is what sets this damper apart from anything else I have been on. It is so good, so controlled, and not even a hint of spiking or inconsistent performance.

I've no experience with the Lyrik Damper, but I can agree with everything based on having the Avy damper in my Marz 55. I went off a jump for the first time Saturday, hit it a bit off, and knew in the air I was going to come down nose heavy. Figured I was going to to bucked when I landed, have an OTB, something. Fork soaked it up, didn't fell off at all, and even though I know I landed nose heavy, it felt like I landed it smooth as butter.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    good luck with that!
    LOL! Not drinking beer helps, riding the keyboard too much hurts (mind & body).

Good thing that gravity is always there for me on the way down.