Knollician

Avid brake pads?

For those of you using Avids, which brand/type of pads do you like? I have the new XX brakes and they are bit underwhelming in the power department. Looking at EBC Red, Gold, Goodrich, and Jagwire. Seems like the stock pads just don't cut it.

Thoughts?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Workin for the weekend!
    Gotta bed them properly, the sintered pads have more bite.

mtbr member
    I have had good luck with these:

DiscoBrakes.Com :: Shop :: Disc Pads

Use them in my XOs and Codes.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Gotta bed them properly, the sintered pads have more bite.
    Definitely need to bed in your brakes but I'm sure tiSS'er knows this.

I ride Shimano so I'm not sure of the exact translation; but metallic pads last longer but resin pads modulate better and usually have better stopping power. (I think sintered = metallic & organic = resin).

Brake Pads - A break down of what you need to know - Pinkbike

Sintered vs organic brake pads

Sorry, I don't know about after-market stuff.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

si vis pacem...
    I'm afraid your problem might not be with the pads, but with the fact that they're XX brakes. I've heard from several people that while the XX brakes weigh next to nothing, their performance for anything other than straight up XC is pretty underwhelming.

I have XO brakes and have run both the stock pads and pads from Brake Authority, and to be honest I didn't notice much difference in power but the BA pads scream like a 9 year-old girl watching Paranormal Activity.

RideDirt
    My Saint m820s are doing great

Check your rotors and pads for any contamination , or maybe give it a fresh bleed

sapienti sat est

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Kool Stop brake pads

Hey tiSS'er.

Try the Kool Stop brake pads. I would recommend organic [red ones]: D296.
    I've had the same problem with my XTR Race brakes and Kool Stop pads greatly improved braking power.

You can get them on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Kool Stop Avid Elixir Organic Disc Brake Pads: Sports & Outdoors

Knollician
    Thanks for all of the replys gents. The brakes are most certainly bedded in correctly, and yes, the issue is they are Avid XXs. Avid did make some changes for 2013 which should greatly improve the reliability of the brakes, and they are stupid light, which is why I want to keep them. I know they are a bit weak in the power department, and have always had varying luck with different brake pads.

I bled both brakes with Motul RBF600 during install. The lever action feels nice, so bleed is not the issue. Thinking about picking up some EBC Gold pads to see if that helps a bit. If not, I may have just have to pick up some Hope Race Evo X2 Stealth brakes

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=tiSS'er;10060298 If not, I may have just have to pick up some Hope Race Evo X2 Stealth brakes [/QUOTE]

I was just getting read to post if the XX brakes were THAT much lighter than whatever the more XC oriented Hopes were.

A TiSS'er build without Hopes is like an Audi without Quattro. Aesthetically pleasing, but missing what it's known for.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I've been running these on my Elixirs. Best ones I've found, I've tried kool stop, EBC (organic) and Jagwire.
    Yokozuna Premium Cables, Housing and Brake Pads

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I've been running these on my Elixirs. Best ones I've found, I've tried kool stop, EBC (organic) and Jagwire.
    Yokozuna Premium Cables, Housing and Brake Pads
    Thanks craigstr, I've never heard of this brand. Have you tried the DH compound? I suspect it is similar to EBC Red, etc.

mtbr member

No, just the standard XC

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Thanks craigstr, I've never heard of this brand. Have you tried the DH compound? I suspect it is similar to EBC Red, etc.
    They are made by the same company that made Scott Mathauser back in the day. They were the best pads for BMX bikes. I think they know a thing or two about brake pads. Universal Cycles stocks them.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I was just getting read to post if the XX brakes were THAT much lighter than whatever the more XC oriented Hopes were.

A TiSS'er build without Hopes is like an Audi without Quattro. Aesthetically pleasing, but missing what it's known for.
    HAHA I do like my Hopes. They may not be as powerful as some (sans the new V4s which are outstanding in all respects), but they do work consistently and as advertised. I've spent enough money building the Endo, so I am trying to prevent spending any more money. I did drop the hint to my wife last night though that I am unhappy with the Avids...oh, and they are completely unsafe and I might get seriously hurt Gotta over sell it ya know!

I have looked at the Shimano offerings, they are a bit heavy. I did have XTs on my Pivot and they were great, but a bit leaky and inconsistent. I have also looked a Maguras, but damn they are expensive. I can get Hopes much cheaper. I have not looked at Hayes Primes, I think they are bit heavy as well. Not a fan of Formulas.

Any other suggestions for a light, yet reasonably powerful brake? Anyone running the Hope Race Evos that cares to share their thoughts?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    They are made by the same company that made Scott Mathauser back in the day. They were the best pads for BMX bikes. I think they know a thing or two about brake pads. Universal Cycles stocks them.
    Cool, thanks, I have some credit at Universal

mtbr member
    Do you think your XT's where of the batch that had leak issues? I know there were some doing it, but I think Shimano fixed that from what I've heard. I've got a set on my Evil HT I only got at the end of summer/early fall, and they've been great so far, but only a few rides.

Guessing the leak also caused the inconsistency? Double whammy!!!!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kool Stop are absolutely the bomb for cyclocross canti's and V brakes, can't imagine their disc pads would suck. I've commuted on them daily for five years.

www.mtbfreeride.tv
    Apr 2006
    i used swissstop pads when i was on avid brakes

TSC
    Buehliever
    Don't know about weight but the both the new (2012 and 2013) Shimano brakes are great. I wish I lived closer, I would let you try mine out. I like them better than my Avid CR. (The CRs stop fine but I like the lever on the new Shimano's and I feel like I get better braking control even with the one-finger Shimano than the two-finger CRs.)
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun