mtbr member

Avalanche Woodie - Help deciding what to spec to Craig

I spoke to Craig at Avalanche today and told him i wanted a Woodie to put on the Chilcotin...and we had a nice chat about shocks and forks etc...

The next step is for me to buy the shock online and email Craig what im looking for.

Knomers, any advice on best information to provide to get the right dial for my bike...im quite new to customised shocks so any technical help would really appreciated..
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    I spoke to Craig at Avalanche today and told him i wanted a Woodie to put on the Chilcotin...and we had a nice chat about shocks and forks etc...

The next step is for me to buy the shock online and email Craig what im looking for.

Knomers, any advice on best information to provide to get the right dial for my bike...im quite new to customised shocks so any technical help would really appreciated..
    I've found it works best to send photos of the terrain you are riding. I also try to include the speed I would hit a section of trail. Usually 3-4 photos will do the trick. Photos like I posted in my Avy review might be helpful. Be sure there is something to provide scale, like your bike...

Also be sure to let him know your current setup and what you like or dislike about the current setup.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    good ideas, the chili has no shock just now (i sold it), but you've just given me an excuse to hire a bike tommorow (he says while putting one of the beers back into the fridge...its 10pm here, no bike = beer/bourbon time).

i'll look for your review.

one of the problems im facing is that i use the chili for very varied stuff. anything from trail to bike park grade dh trails to fort william...so im kinda looking for a 'do it all tune'...is this wise?

also the main failing of the fox shock (the thing that i just couldnt live with) was i couldnt jump the bike with height. another let down was that i couldnt pump the trail to get speed, sometimes the bike even slowed down when pumping rather than speed up. im more of a touchy feely type rider than one that can communicate the technicalities of whats happening...pics seem like a very good idea

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The terrain I ride pretty much covers both extremes--chasing lycra'ed racerboi's one day on flat almost featureless terrain to natural freeride and chunk the next--Craig still nailed it. My shock has great mid-stroke support so it pedals nice, plush enough to take big drops to flat, and jumps nice. The Woodie is so far above most everything on the market that even a custom tune that covers all of the bases still excels over everything else.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Takes a few rides for the shock to break in. Don't open the low-speed compression all the way, you need it to help with many things and it also helps the transition to high speed. If you open it up then the oil bypasses the high speed circuit to some extent and it feels funky. The great part is how you can actually have significant low-speed compression and it still blows off and rides crazy good in super chunky terrain, in fact the harder you push it the better it gets. Only the pike which I've recently started using does this to a similar extent. The high speed adjuster has to be turned in around 1.5-2 turns as well if I remember correctly, otherwise it doesn't function correctly. I'd rather have these shocks set slightly softer and be able to increase the compression a little through tuning than have them too hard and not be able to do anything about it. They are great and I've had quite a few of craig's products now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Frenchy, good move, especially now that the Stoy is no longer available in 200. What do you reckon the landed in UK cost will be?

mtbr member
    545 quid all in...60 more than ccdb coil rrp...120 more than freeborn quoted me for the ccdb w/ discount.

order goes in tomorrow...3 weeks for build and shipping over the pond.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    545 quid all in...60 more than ccdb coil rrp...120 more than freeborn quoted me for the ccdb w/ discount.

order goes in tomorrow...3 weeks for build and shipping over the pond.
    Thanks, give us a ride report when you can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Thanks, give us a ride report when you can.
    will do, got my order in today, also Craig said that turnaround is shorter than i stated above.

cant wait !