mtbr member

Avalanche now servicing RS Pikes

Looks like Craig is at it again. There a couple options for the Pike. One is the complete damper cartridge. The other is a re shim of the Charger damper.

I am really happy with my Pike but its nice to know we have options. Very, very good options!

mtbr member
    I was looking that over yesterday:

Pike Open Bath Cartridge Kit
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    All he has to do now is offer a coil conversion kits. No one (well not everyone) is doing coil coil any more, what has this world come to!!!

mtbr member
    The Pike is supposed to be the end all with the magic "charger" damper, how can it get any better? Is Avalanche that good or simply trying to get in on a super popular product? Just asking as I never had Avalanche service. To me this looks a bit cheap, I don't like the flat washer look as the bottom plate. They should offer all black as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    The Pike is supposed to be the end all with the magic "charger" damper, how can it get any better? Is Avalanche that good or simply trying to get in on a super popular product? Just asking as I never had Avalanche service. To me this looks a bit cheap, I don't like the flat washer look as the bottom plate. They should offer all black as well.
    You should do a search on Avalanche and see what you come up with. Lots of suspension ideas were supposed to be the end all, and we all know how those went.

The Charger damper is good, but anything mass produced has it's limitations, no matter what it is, that can be overcome when the mass production aspect is no longer a factor.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Custom tune > generic tune all day every day. One of the most noticeable if not THE most noticeable upgrade I have ever done to a bike in my 8 years of MTB.

Personally I wont own another bike w/ out AVY front and rear. Damn knolly forum will do that to you...
    2012 Knolly Chilcotin
    2002 Haro VGF V3 - Still have my first real mtb

Knollician
    Avy makes stock RS/FOX/Marzocchi stuff look cheap. You won't find any plastic here, only nicely anodized, well built and engineered parts. A custom tuned fork is far better than any stock damper as mentioned above. You only know the best you have ridden. After riding my fully Avy'd Chili, I struggle to adjust t my stock Endo.

"Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    All he has to do now is offer a coil conversion kits. No one (well not everyone) is doing coil coil any more, what has this world come to!!!
    ^^!

PS I like the gold caps, wish the crown could be dipped in it!
    ©

mtbr member
    The Pike is supposed to be the end all with the magic "charger" damper, how can it get any better?
    Fox 36 Float performs better than a Pike. Vanillas perform better than a Float. The AVA'd Vanilla on my Chilcotin performs far better than any fork ive ever ridden. The initial stroke is supple and active like the 4bar, and it goes super plush deeper into the travel, it beats a standard 36 Fox by a country mile, you get a lot less impact related arm pump / hand strain with the AVA modded forks.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    My buddy got his done by Craig. Maybe he will chime in. He said he loves it. Running a fully Avy'd Spitfire now. Fox CDT also. Not worth the $ to me, but he absolutely loves it.

mtbr member
    Just seems extreme ditching the Pike bladder for open bath, in that case might as well set up a Lyrik.

I have a Pushed 36 RC2 that is a bit sticky in the initial but works awesome for the big hit stuff. Going back to a Pike for the next build.

mtbr member

I think i want a pair :)

How much does the AVA'd Pike weigh in at?

I can see they cost £900 (GBP) if you buy new Pikes and a new cartridge. I find this reasonable.

3 things im considering:

Weight

My AVA'd Vanilla's are about 2800g (Chilcotin)
    My Fox 36 Floats lowered to 150mm are 2140g (Endorphin)

AVA'd Vanilla's weigh 1kg more than standard Pikes. For me this didn't matter as they were going on my Chilcotin which ended up sitting at 31.5 lbs.

Cost

I bought excellent condition 2010 Vans for £280, then bought the AVA Cartridge and a new spring, all in all it cost me the same as a pair of off the shelf Pikes (£650).

My Endos second hand 36 Floats cost me £360 second hand.

I service all my stuff myself. If I didn't it would cost me £100 a year to send them off to get done. Avalanche stuff doesn't need servicing until after a few years hard riding.

Which Bike to put them on?

If I was to go for an AVA'd Pike it would be for the Endo (150mm travel), weight dependant, and would replace the 36 Floats which weigh 2140g.

Would consider the 160 Pikes on the Chili but the Floats on the Endo would be better replaced before the AVA'd Vans on the Chili.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just seems extreme ditching the Pike bladder for open bath, in that case might as well set up a Lyrik.
    I agree on that.

IF I were to score a new PIKE, I'd thrash the hell out of it. This fork is getting better reviews than anything I've seen since the MiCo DH damper dropped.

Of course, I've got an Avy'd Lyrik right now, so I'm in no rush to try anything else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I have a Pushed 36 RC2 that is a bit sticky in the initial but works awesome for the big hit stuff. Going back to a Pike for the next build.
    We agree, we feel the charger damper is a good but it still has a few areas that could be improved or changed. Firstly it has a pedal/lock-out knob that is usefull for some but most seem to want more tuneability for the downhill or open mode. Secondly it needs a way to tune the shim stacks rather than the threshold adjust system it has. By converting the pedal/lock-out knob, changing the piston and threshold system to a independent high speed adjuster it now can be adjusted in all positions for increased adjustment range for descend riding. Essentially 3 clicks of high speed with 12 clicks of low speed for each high speed setting. Thirdly the rebound piston needs to be able to accommodate midvalves that can be tuned, the charger piston and arbor needs more space and features to be able to do this so since our 20 mm rebound piston fits right in (yes, Rockshox used the same cartridge 20 mm tube size and 6 mm shim arbor as we do, how convenient!) This is why we are offering a replacement piston/valve revalving kit the improves the performance, adds midvalves and converts the pedal/lock-out knob to a high speed adjuster. For those who want the smoother, reliable and maintenance free open-bath cartridge we offer that too. Same pistons and midvalves in open bath system.

The kit is offer at the bottom of the Pike website page:

The Piston/Valve Kit for the Charger Damper

Compression valve and rebound piston

* New Compression valve with converted high speed adjustment(RCT3 only), soft med, hard(open, pedal, lock),
    retains 12 clicks of low speed adjustment in all high speed positions.
    * New Rebound valve with adjustable midvalves and 2 stage tapered rebound valving shims
    * No drilling, machining or grinding. Fits right in.
    Very adjustable now, feels amazing based on our initial testing.

The Kit will come with an assortment of shims for revalving, and 3 high speed springs for tuning.
    We will supply a set-up chart with options for tuning, based on air pressure, type of riding, and skill level.

1 - 4 port compression piston with o-ring
    1 - 4 port rebound piston with piston band
    compression shims
    rebound shims
    midvalve check plate, spool and spring assembly
    midvalve shims
    optional soft and hard high speed spring for fine tuning
    sleeve O-ring
    charger o-ring rebuild kit
    5/8 hex tool

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Chris, why not put the AVA damper in the floats, extend it back to 160mm and fit that to the chili. Get a 150mm pike, keep it standard and fit that to the endo.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by crseekins View Post
    We agree, we feel the charger damper is a good but it still has a few areas that could be improved or changed. Firstly it has a pedal/lock-out knob that is usefull for some but most seem to want more tuneability for the downhill or open mode. Secondly it needs a way to tune the shim stacks rather than the threshold adjust system it has. By converting the pedal/lock-out knob, changing the piston and threshold system to a independent high speed adjuster it now can be adjusted in all positions for increased adjustment range for descend riding. Essentially 3 clicks of high speed with 12 clicks of low speed for each high speed setting. Thirdly the rebound piston needs to be able to accommodate midvalves that can be tuned, the charger piston and arbor needs more space and features to be able to do this so since our 20 mm rebound piston fits right in (yes, Rockshox used the same cartridge 20 mm tube size and 6 mm shim arbor as we do, how convenient!) This is why we are offering a replacement piston/valve revalving kit the improves the performance, adds midvalves and converts the pedal/lock-out knob to a high speed adjuster. For those who want the smoother, reliable and maintenance free open-bath cartridge we offer that too. Same pistons and midvalves in open bath system.

The kit is offer at the bottom of the Pike website page:

The Piston/Valve Kit for the Charger Damper

Compression valve and rebound piston

* New Compression valve with converted high speed adjustment(RCT3 only), soft med, hard(open, pedal, lock),
    retains 12 clicks of low speed adjustment in all high speed positions.
    * New Rebound valve with adjustable midvalves and 2 stage tapered rebound valving shims
    * No drilling, machining or grinding. Fits right in.
    Very adjustable now, feels amazing based on our initial testing.

The Kit will come with an assortment of shims for revalving, and 3 high speed springs for tuning.
    We will supply a set-up chart with options for tuning, based on air pressure, type of riding, and skill level.

1 - 4 port compression piston with o-ring
    1 - 4 port rebound piston with piston band
    compression shims
    rebound shims
    midvalve check plate, spool and spring assembly
    midvalve shims
    optional soft and hard high speed spring for fine tuning
    sleeve O-ring
    charger o-ring rebuild kit
    5/8 hex tool

Thanks.

Basic question for you, as I'm not too suspension tech savy, but I do know how I like my shocks to feel. Maybe your fix addresses what I'm asking. Maybe there is an easier way to address my concern.

Open/Descend mode on the RCT3 feels good as does its LSC adjustments.

Trail mode - far too harsh. Feels over damped when the lever is thrown and the LSC remains in the same setting as it was in Open mode.

Lockout - completely worthless on a mountain bike IMO.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Seems to me the Trail setting should replace the Lockout, and a setting between the Trail and Open should exist.

Maybe a "Trail-Lite" could be set up between Open and Trail. Or, to keep with the latest marketing lingo, an "Enduro" setting - enough LSC to handle "peddally" sections and prevent dive, and just enough HSC to help from blowing through travel on the fast, rough hits.

I'd bet most riders on a Pike spend almost all their time in the Open mode. To bad to have 2/3 of a shock's settings barely being used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    Chris, why not put the AVA damper in the floats, extend it back to 160mm and fit that to the chili. Get a 150mm pike, keep it standard and fit that to the endo.
    what an idea if it works! cheers I just assumed the cart would be van specific...didn't think of that...will investigate...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Thanks.

Basic question for you, as I'm not too suspension tech savy, but I do know how I like my shocks to feel. Maybe your fix addresses what I'm asking. Maybe there is an easier way to address my concern.

Open/Descend mode on the RCT3 feels good as does its LSC adjustments.

Trail mode - far too harsh. Feels over damped when the lever is thrown and the LSC remains in the same setting as it was in Open mode.

Lockout - completely worthless on a mountain bike IMO.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Seems to me the Trail setting should replace the Lockout, and a setting between the Trail and Open should exist.

Maybe a "Trail-Lite" could be set up between Open and Trail. Or, to keep with the latest marketing lingo, an "Enduro" setting - enough LSC to handle "peddally" sections and prevent dive, and just enough HSC to help from blowing through travel on the fast, rough hits.

I'd bet most riders on a Pike spend almost all their time in the Open mode. To bad to have 2/3 of a shock's settings barely being used.
    Yes, we feel the lock is completely worthless for this kind of fork and the trail or pedal mode is still way too stiff for most, so why not convert it to a more usable setting, this is what our kit addresses. The trail setting or pedal mode with the low speed set at 6 out becomes the standard setting or midpoint between harder and softer overall compression. Click it to lock-out and it is firmer high speed compression with the same low speed or click it to open and it it will be softer high speed compression. This high speed compression range is controlled by one of the 3 high speed springs and the shim stack arrangement options we provide with the kit. When lighter low speed settings are selected the dive will be addressed with the midvalve system added as part of the kit, this comes with adjustable shimming options too.

This kind of philosophy follows the same pattern as with the SSD mods we make to the the Float/RP23 shocks. We remove the boost valve and we convert the lever system from pedal/trail/descend to firm, medium and soft low speed compression with fine tuning of the trail with the 1,2,3 positions. This gives the shock more usable adjustment settings for going down the hill while keeping the pedal performance nearly as good in the firmer settings if needed.
    Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications