Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Knollician

Avalanche now servicing Fox CTDs

AVY is now converting the CTD to the speed sensitive damper...been waiting for this for a while

Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    that will be a god send for people on tight budgets and light weight freaks alike
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member

I'm going to send in my shock next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knollician
    Please be sure to post up your thoughts. I will likely send mine in as well.

mtbr member
    Nice option!

The Avy SSD upgrade made my Fox DHX Air 5.0 a new shock.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Be really interested to see how a RP23 with this mod compares to the CCDB air.

Would need to be done by someone that is not yet an Avalanche fanboi and also has a CCDB air that they are happy with.

mtbr member
    Mine is already sitting in his shop.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Would need to be done by someone that is not yet an Avalanche fanboi and also has a CCDB air that they are happy with.
    there are no fanboi's just those who know how things work and those who don't. yes people have raved on about things at times and got carried away, but ive been there and done it and I know why they've been so excited. ive got an avalanched van 160 here and I found it more plush than the DVO emerald that I had a go of 2 days ago (try it, see what I talking about). go speak to the people that make them to get an understanding. don't wholy rely on forums to get your answers.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member

Just had a 23 minute convo with Craig. Order placed. It snowed today so I may as well get the shock sent in I've got a ccdba to compare it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I agree with this. It would have to be leaps and bounds better than my CCDBA for me to even consider it. I can get my CCDB stuff serviced locally by James (Suspensionwerx), Avalanche still has the drawback of having to send it away if there are any issues. I doubt James will be servicing any shocks that have been Avalanche modified?
    Asking for non fanboi feedback in a forum that pretty much defines fanboi might be a bit of a challenge
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Be really interested to see how a RP23 with this mod compares to the CCDB air.

I don't think a CTD will compare to a CCDBA in any capacity.

However, if someone is happy with their CCDBA, would that not make them a "fanboi"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Having just stepped onto the Avalanche scene (recently picked up G-AIR's Lyrik), I already find it hard to contain my stoke for it. It's easy to see how one can become a fanboi...nothing wrong with that.

Just an observation though- they might as well change the name of this sub-forum to "Knolly/Avalanche". Half of the research I tried to do on the company brought me back here!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by steammachine View Post
    Having just stepped onto the Avalanche scene (recently picked up G-AIR's Lyrik), I already find it hard to contain my stoke for it. It's easy to see how one can become a fanboi...nothing wrong with that.

Just an observation though- they might as well change the name of this sub-forum to "Knolly/Avalanche". Half of the research I tried to do on the company brought me back here!
    Yeah, I know a lot of guys here ride Avy stuff. I certainly post my share of info. The terrain that we ride really benefits from the Avy treatment. Regardless of which bike or brand I ride, it will be sporting an Avy. I think Craig really has nailed it for me and I don't see any reason to put my money anywhere else.

I don't know of anyone who has not been a fan of Craig's work. Much like Knolly I enjoy supporting the little guy. The best you know is the best you have ridden.

%$#$*!
    I have a DBair on a new endo that I'm happy with (enough so that I sold the avy chubie). I've got an avy cartridge in my lyrik air as well. I don't consider myself a fanboi/brand wh*re, just an average rider wanting the most optimal suspension for my setup. If I can find a used rp23 for a decent price I'm going to get it avy'd for sure to compare.

mtbr member
    Any reason not to spec a CCBD Air CS on a new Warden taking cost out of the equation? I am assuming the only other factory option is a FOX Float CTD. I'm no suspension guru, but I am smart enough to get advice from them and get a professional bike setup every year or so. Having a wider range of tuning options seems like a good idea.

My friends with the new 2014 Fox CTD shocks [not the Float X] aren't overly impressed. Climb is a lock out which I would never use so that leaves only two compression settings to choose from.

I've heard some better things about the Float X and that can be Avy'd. I haven't heard that as a Knolly factory option.

If I get something that needs to be Avy'd I'd ride it for the summer and send it off for upgrade at the end of the warm weather riding season. So it has to not suck so bad I'll wish the summer was over so soon.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Any reason not to spec a CCBD Air CS on a new Warden taking cost out of the equation? I am assuming the only other factory option is a FOX Float CTD. I'm no suspension guru, but I am smart enough to get advice from them and get a professional bike setup every year or so. Having a wider range of tuning options seems like a good idea.

My friends with the new 2014 Fox CTD shocks [not the Float X] aren't overly impressed. Climb is a lock out which I would never use so that leaves only two compression settings to choose from.

I've heard some better things about the Float X and that can be Avy'd. I haven't heard that as a Knolly factory option.

If I get something that needs to be Avy'd I'd ride it for the summer and send it off for upgrade at the end of the warm weather riding season. So it has to not suck so bad I'll wish the summer was over so soon.
    I'd stay away for the CTD unless you are going for the absolute minimum weight. The CCDBA would be a much better option simply due to tunability. If you are looking for an air shock, just spend the few extra dollars on the CCDBA, I doubt you will regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I'd stay away for the CTD unless you are going for the absolute minimum weight. The CCDBA would be a much better option simply due to tunability. If you are looking for an air shock, just spend the few extra dollars on the CCDBA, I doubt you will regret it.
    Thanks. Posted my reply in the Warden thread to avoid thread-jacking any further.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What would be great, would be an AVA'd CCBD Air CS

EDIT ..that was just my tongue in cheek humour...for clarity sake.

For the record I run CCDB's on my Chili and Podium now (since the mail service disposed of my Woodie wrongly saying it 'dangerous goods') ...I like the Cane Creek shocks and have no plans to change them up for anything else...all the same I believe the Woodie edged it in damping performance.
    Last edited by cfrench; 12-12-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I agree with this. It would have to be leaps and bounds better than my CCDBA for me to even consider it. I can get my CCDB stuff serviced locally by James (Suspensionwerx), Avalanche still has the drawback of having to send it away if there are any issues. I doubt James will be servicing any shocks that have been Avalanche modified?
    Asking for non fanboi feedback in a forum that pretty much defines fanboi might be a bit of a challenge
    No worries, you can send it to any suspension tuner for service, oil and recharge is still the same procedure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What would be the best coil options for a Warden ?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    anyone riding an avy CTD yet? what's the word? I know its gotta be better and it's worth it but just wanna hear what you all have to say about it after riding it.

mtbr member
    I just got my tracking # today but unfortunately we got 8" of snow over night. Shock arrives Monday and we are due rain so hopefully I will be back on the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I should have mine on saturday! I might not get to ride it till next weekend since I am on call for work. Suppose to be raining next weekend for us so I probably wont get a proper test on the shock for a while.

mtbr member
    Avy'd CTD scheduled to arrive this Thursday. I'll ride it next weekend (Jan. 11, 12). Does anyone have experience with the volume spacers? Are the spacers for the CTD the same as the spacers for the RP23? Jenson says yes - Craig says no. Website is hard to figure out, but I am leaning towards no - not the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got my ctd back from avy today. I won't get a chance for any trail time till next weekend.
    I went out on an urban ride with lots of long staircase rides and many 2-3' drops to flat. The avy felt as though the mid stroke support was much improved and the shock rode slightly higher in its travel. I felt like trail 2 was comparable to my pike with 3 clicks of low speed. Bottom out was improved for me. In trail 2 I could do a three foot drop to flat and purposefully land kind of hard and use all the travel but about 2mm. In descend mode doing the same thing it just barely bottomed out. I might run a small volume spacer but need actual trail time to see. Previously to get my ctd feeling ok I had to run low pressure for a plush ride and then use a large spacer to keep from bottoming out. I don't think this will be the case with the avy tune. I did note that the climb setting is no longer very stiff and I couldn't really tell any difference between it and trail. The shock kind of felt like the different settings were very subtle between them. I'm not a suspension guru so may be this is how Craig intended for it to be. Once I get some more trail miles I will post more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast