Thread: Ava Elka Mod

mtbr member

Ava Elka Mod

First off, sorry for the off topic post but this seems like the best place to get feedback on Avalanche products.

Has anyone had the Ava mod done to an Elka? My Elka is due for a service and I am trying to decide if I just send it back to Elka or go with the mod. I am generally happy with it which leaves me unsure about what to do. Any advice? It is for a first gen Tracer VP.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sell the tracer, get an Endo?

HTH.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    http://tweedlove.com/

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    First off, sorry for the off topic post but this seems like the best place to get feedback on Avalanche products.

Has anyone had the Ava mod done to an Elka? My Elka is due for a service and I am trying to decide if I just send it back to Elka or go with the mod. I am generally happy with it which leaves me unsure about what to do. Any advice? It is for a first gen Tracer VP.
    I have no experience with Elka, but Craig won't waste your time and money if the mod was not considerably better than the stock setup. I have yet to have an Avy product that was marginally better than what it replaced. I say go for it.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Sell the tracer, get an Endo?

HTH.
    Sorta took your advice.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sorta took your advice.
    Really!! I used to have an Intense Tracer (it was first gen same as yours, in clearcoat red) and it was one of the best bikes ive rode to rail berms with, but i just found it too tiring when climbing. I now have a Chili which is a bigger bike and heavier, and it climbs so much better, the traction is fantastic on it. I want an Endo to add to the stable now

mtbr member
    Really!! I used to have an Intense Tracer (it was first gen same as yours, in clearcoat red) and it was one of the best bikes ive rode to rail berms with, but i just found it too tiring when climbing. I now have a Chili which is a bigger bike and heavier, and it climbs so much better, the traction is fantastic on it. I want an Endo to add to the stable now
    That is good to hear. I am buying Invol2ver's Chili and my big concern is that I don't want to give up too much on the climbs. Given that I have a coil shock on the Tracer, I should be pretty safe.
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    That is good to hear. I am buying Invol2ver's Chili and my big concern is that I don't want to give up too much on the climbs. Given that I have a coil shock on the Tracer, I should be pretty safe.
    Invol2ver's bike was mint. It looked brand new when he posted the sale. If keeping both, best advice i can give you is -- build the Chili with 170mm forks and CCDB Coil (aim for a build under 33lbs), then put the Tracer in its short travel settings and run it with 140 forks (aim for a build under 28lbs), the tracer rides much better like this and it would be the best way to team them for covering all duties.

mtbr member

My Elka ( Canfield The One) too is up for service. I asked Elka for a price and it was $20CAD cheaper then Craig's service, it's got me thinking.....

I'm pretty damn happy with the way the Elka jives with my Avy tuned Lyric, really well balanced. So again, it's got me thinking.

Are you running an Avy tuned fork?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    My Elka ( Canfield The One) too is up for service. I asked Elka for a price and it was $20CAD cheaper then Craig's service, it's got me thinking.....

I'm pretty damn happy with the way the Elka jives with my Avy tuned Lyric, really well balanced. So again, it's got me thinking.

Are you running an Avy tuned fork?
    I am not. I was mostly interested due to reputation and the fact that his price seems pretty good for a full rebuild and custom tune. I am going to play with the CCDBA on the new bike for a while but I am sure the elka will find its way on there at least for some testing. I may get it tuned for the new bike if all goes well. I really like that shock.
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Invol2ver's bike was mint. It looked brand new when he posted the sale. If keeping both, best advice i can give you is -- build the Chili with 170mm forks and CCDB Coil (aim for a build under 33lbs), then put the Tracer in its short travel settings and run it with 140 forks (aim for a build under 28lbs), the tracer rides much better like this and it would be the best way to team them for covering all duties.
    I will probably retire or sell the tracer. I have parts I could use to build it back up but it would be as heavy as the chili with them. I am not sure I see the point.

At some point I will get a lighter, more XC oriented bike. The carbon Sight 650b that Norco has unveiled has peaked my interest.
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    when i talked to craig he said the elka's ;arge shaft isn't ideal on some bikes just like the rc4 isn't compared to the smaller shaft on the dhx or vanilla rc. best bet is to give him a call but for sure if the price was close between a rebuild at elka vs avalanche i'd go with craig as elka just uses a few standard shim stacks for their shocks, not really custom tuned at all. if you look at their site and the comparisons between frame designs there are only two or three tunes they actually use regardless of your weight or riding style.

Outcast
    I had an stock elka on my spitfire; it was a good shock, but not a great shock. I did speak to elka about my criticisms of the shock; they seemed mystified that I wasn't happy with the standard tune, and said that obviously my adjustments were off. Think about this; elka delivers the same tune for a given bicycle regardless of rider weight and riding "style' Avalanche's approach is the total opposite of that. Elka will rebuild your shock by replacing worn parts. Craig will do the same, plus:
    "give you progressive main piston compression valving, faster small bump response, mid and high speed rebound valving set to spring rate, better high speed blowoff of compression adjuster, and an anti-bottoming shape factor shaft bumper, Custom Valving set-up for rider ability, type of terrain,and frame linkage rates. and progressive high speed rebound set for spring rate to optimize the free bleed system."

I think that is worth 20 more dollars.
    I have had a lot of high end suspension components on my bikes. There is a reason why both my full suspension rigs have Avy suspension front and rear. Craig knows his field of expertise. He will squeeze the most performance out of what he can work on.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    =
    I have had a lot of high end suspension components on my bikes. There is a reason why both my full suspension rigs have Avy suspension front and rear. Craig knows his field of expertise. He will squeeze the most performance out of what he can work on.
    And he will honestly tell you what you are best off with. I had a Roco WC that I was going to send his way, but he said that I'd be much better off sending in a DHX5 or a Van RC instead, as he could squeeze more out of those shocks. Sold the Roco WC shortly after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    And he will honestly tell you what you are best off with. I had a Roco WC that I was going to send his way, but he said that I'd be much better off sending in a DHX5 or a Van RC instead, as he could squeeze more out of those shocks. Sold the Roco WC shortly after.
    Told me the same thing with the RC4 I was going to send in for the Podium. Bought a used Van RC and sent him instead.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.