mtbr member
    Jan 2004

attn: V-Tach owners :)

I have a question about the linkage plates/rocker plates on my V-Tach...(where you can adjust the headtube angle)

Has anyone ever had the adjustment(that ecentric part for adjusting the headtube angle located between the rocker plates) move when riding??

I know mine was set in the middle and everything was tight(i check all bolts routinely)
    but after riding this past sunday I noticed mine had moved?
    It's now set all the way to one side??

I think this might have happened from bottoming out maybe????

I'm not really sure??

also anyone want to tell me the proper procedure to adjust this back to the middle??

thanks.....Rich

Delirious Tuck
    Mine have been fine for last two seasons and I use my tach as my DH rig and I'm on the chunky funky rough stuff so lots of repeated high speed whacks vs. one time big hits. I do check the linkage every other DH day though...

If yours moved, it probably happened on a rough back heavy landing, have you looped out recently? Maybe try a torque wrench and check the specs at knollybikes.com and see if it happens again.

You haven't gained weight have you??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks Ryan for the advice

I went to the knolly torque specs and torqued the two bolts on the linkage to 12.6 lbs
    and the two pinch bolts to 10.4 lbs ...(ok really i converted the foot lbs to inch lbs 12.6/151.2 and 10.4/124.8 because my foot lb torque wrench is 1/2" drive and waaaaaay to big for 10.4 ft lbs and 12.6 ft lbs and my inch lb torque wrench is 3/8" drive and much better for these specs)

The bolts were all tight when I loosened them, so unfortunately I think it is going to happen again

time will tell, and I will keep a close eye on them...

and NO i haven't had any back wheel heavy landings that I can think of??
    just one unfortunate mishap that you witnessed first hand

stop laughing at me .....

thanks again....

Delirious Tuck
    I'd give Noel and the boys a call, they're always helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again i will call them

Is yours adjusted all the way in the slack position??
    It probably is for Diablo?? and the linkage couldn't move anymore from that position..?

thanks again....

Delirious Tuck
    I'm running full slacked out, considering an angleset for another degree of slack on the DH race runs. Never had any issues.

1+1
    going for a ride
    The bolts on the angle change thingy came loose a couple times on me. Must have happened sometime during a ride. But then again, I've lost bolts off my rear rotor. Also one of the nuts on the brake side rear dropout plate on my DT fell off on me during a ride. Plus a whole bunch of other loose bolts from stem to chain guide. I think Knolly bikes get ridden so hard that bolts just get loosened on their own.

Have any Vtach owners measured their HA recently? In my slackest setting(my usual setting), measured with Clinometer(iOS app), it comes in at 65 degrees. That's with an '05 888.
    Curious what you guys are running.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have given substantial abuse to 729 rims(and the old 321s) with 7 years on a V-Tach and never had it move. I typically have the adjuster in the middle position, except when I am at bike parks, so there is plenty of opportunity for it to move. The side bolts hold the assembly together, but they offer very little friction to prevent movement. It is the pinch bolt that prevents rotational movement.