MC MasterShake

Anyone running 35mm bars/stem combo?

If so, how do you like it? No weight penalty to speak of and it's gotta be stiffer. How much stiffer though? Then there's the price penalty of upgrading stuff that works perfectly well already.

Knomer
    I haven't ridden that setup, but a friend who has actually said it was TOO STIFF, and it detracted from the usual vibration damping characteristics of a carbon bar. He switched back to a 'normal' setup after a month. Take that for whatever it's worth.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I haven't ridden that setup, but a friend who has actually said it was TOO STIFF, and it detracted from the usual vibration damping characteristics of a carbon bar. He switched back to a 'normal' setup after a month. Take that for whatever it's worth.
    Interesting. I would think stiffer is better, but in this case I can see that.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I'd be surprised if it made any difference at all.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Love that the new SixC has some rise, not sure about the 35mm though...

First Look! New Race Face 35mm Handlebars & Stems, Plus All-New Aeffect Saddles
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    I'd be surprised if it made any difference at all.
    I would say it is fairly easy to feel the difference. Sometimes though, like shock settings, you don't really know which you prefer--and it may change on the terrain you are riding. I don't own the 35mm. But right out of the box,my first impression of my ENVE AM bar was that it was too stiff. The Havoc DH carbon, mostly because of its extra width (and probably less stiff to boot), is a bit easier on the wrists. I generally prefer aluminum bars made in 6061, as opposed to lighter, stiffer 7075 for the same reasons.

I am glad that the new SIXC emphasis is on strength and weight reduction. Those are the two most logical paths to take, imo. It reminds me of a phrase that Mavic mentioned a few years ago about wanting to make their rims strong but still compliant (i.e. "flexy"). The internet experts jumped all over them, since "stiff" was in and "flexy" aka compliant is a bad word. Of course, many people familiar with motorsports know that if you allow certain parts to flex more (e.g. rims in an Indy Car, tires for a Dragster) that you have increased performance. An everyday example of this is automotive tire load rating. If you choose an E-rated tire, you will lose cornering grip vs a C-rated tire, because the sidewalls are too stiff. Although, E-rated may be the ticket if you are hauling trailers or rock crawling (and can lower the tire pressure at the trail).
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Anyone have any more thoughts or real world experience with these? I've noticed lately there seems to be ALOT more 35mm setups on the market now.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Anyone running 35mm bars/stem combo?

My friend has been running riding the 35mm Easton Havoc Carbon since last season. The only people I have heard that this combo was to stiff from was smaller riders>200lbs. For bigger riders 200lbs> my friend swears by them. He was feeling some extra flex last year at Silverstar, he switched and the flexing feeling went away. The bars he was running before this were Deity Dirty 30, not a light bar by any means. I will be running the Chromag BZA combo on both my Podium and AM bike this season so when the snow melts I will give an update.

mtbr member
    I have been riding the new Next 35mm bars and really can't tell any difference from the 31.8 SixC bars. The width is a little more narrow (20mm) and that is the only difference I can tell. Maybe there is a more significant difference comparing the Next 31.8 to the Next 35. But the bars look and feel awesome. My buddy just picked up the SixC 35mm bars but no ride time yet.

Race Face
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I just put a set of SixC 31.8's on the Chili, very happy with them so far. I'm really more curious than anything.

EDIT: Maybe I should just buy a Warden with 35mm carbon bars and satisfy all my curiosities at once!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just installed a set of 31.8 SixC's on my Chili. I was tempted to go Next SL 35mm bars, but the current lack of stem options turned me off. No point in saving weight on the bars if you gain it back in the stem...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [edit - realized which forum this was - moved post to general discussion]