mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Anyone polished their Raw frame?

Hi
    - Just wondered about this couple days ago, because it should be easy but the rawness will go away obviously
    Anyone experimented with this?
    I have a Chilcotin and think it could look great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I did it with a sonax compound for chrome & aluminum, it came out nice without destroying the decals, this is the final outcome

Anyone polished their Raw frame?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    yeah its a once a year job. i've done it with mine, pictures later, I used Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish, all you do is apply the polish, rub it up and down 3 or 4 times then put the frame under the hose with washing up liquid for doing the dishes...this removes the residue and surplus polish. the result is as above.

basically it just removes the oxidisation layer (white stuff that builds up). the best part is how the welds go shiny it looks really nice. the frame wont polish to a chrome effect as the frame comes brushed not polished from the factory.

I recommend it, as pointed out in the previous post, it has no effect on the decals. the decals are under a coating so stay preserved.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow, I was hoping for a picture - Gotta say it makes a difference, it's good lookin'! Thanks to both of you.
    I did not know that there is a coating finish on the raw frame? Just think that the decals are super thin for great durability, from scratching or crashing. The frame should be raw, without coating?
    But I will try out something with my polish set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There is coating on the decals only, not nessesary to use any tools, only hand polishing and do try the compound you will be using on a small area first, to check that it won't be bad for the frame ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavle View Post
    Wow, I was hoping for a picture - Gotta say it makes a difference, it's good lookin'! Thanks to both of you.
    I did not know that there is a coating finish on the raw frame? Just think that the decals are super thin for great durability, from scratching or crashing. The frame should be raw, without coating?
    But I will try out something with my polish set.
    theres a coating over the decal not the frame, you cant lift the ink with mothers alu and mag polish...I was very careful and did test patches that were left over night etc
    eventually I just run it all over the frame and decals included once I knew it was safe
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.