Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone make the switch?

Looking for some feedback on the DBAir CS.

Currently riding the "old" DBAir and I really like it. Just curious if the CS is a worthwhile upgrade. Anyone make the switch?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a pedal platform for long climbs, it is a worthy upgrade. If you are happy with you current setup i wouldn't bother.

We have a lot of fire road climbs around here. With the switch on there is a noticeable improvement in pedal efficiency. The shock lets you keep your optimal settings for the downs and tightens things up for the ups.

For short, punchy technical climbs I still prefer the open mode. As you know the 4XFour just gets so much grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    If you are looking for a pedal platform for long climbs, it is a worthy upgrade. If you are happy with you current setup i wouldn't bother.

We have a lot of fire road climbs around here. With the switch on there is a noticeable improvement in pedal efficiency. The shock lets you keep your optimal settings for the downs and tightens things up for the ups.

For short, punchy technical climbs I still prefer the open mode. As you know the 4XFour just gets so much grip.
    Which bike you using it on G-Air, Endo or Chili?

There was a review of it on the Chili here:
    Cane Creek DBair CS ? first look - BikeRadar

I thought CS was supposed to be best for tech climbs...according to Pinkbike:
    Cane Creek DBair CS Review - Pinkbike

As an aside, i've got the BOS Kirk on my endo, its climb switch works pretty well too, improves efficiency notably.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I love the way my DBAir rides, but there are some rides where it is just too active. I don't imagine I would use the switch every ride, but I can see it being a nice thing to have on the extended climbs.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I have it on my Endo. I can see the switch being even more useful on a longer travel bike like the Chili. I've always felt the Endo has a bit of platform built into the suspension curve so maybe this is why I like the CS open for technical climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Which bike you using it on G-Air, Endo or Chili?

There was a review of it on the Chili here:
    Cane Creek DBair CS ? first look - BikeRadar

I thought CS was supposed to be best for tech climbs...according to Pinkbike:
    Cane Creek DBair CS Review - Pinkbike

As an aside, i've got the BOS Kirk on my endo, its climb switch works pretty well too, improves efficiency notably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I have it on my Endo. I can see the switch being even more useful on a longer travel bike like the Chili. I've always felt the Endo has a bit of platform built into the suspension curve so maybe this is why I like the CS open for technical climbs.
    Makes sense to me...ive got a CCDB coil on the Chili, but its there not only to improve the descent, but to actually make the climb more difficult, so I get a better workout. If im going for quick time uphill, I take the Endo, then for DH the Podium. Id like a CCDB Coil CS on the Podium, that would work a treat enroute to the track.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    Does CC offer an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Mine should be in tomorrow. Keep you posted….

mtbr member
    CS feature - Sounds perfect for the frequent techy climbing I have to do to earn my downhills.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Does CC offer an upgrade?
    Do you mean a trade-in or aftermarket addition of the CS switch? If it's the latter, I remember reading that CC said it wouldn't be cost effective to offer an upgrade on existing dbairs.

%$#$*!
    As an aside, I asked Craig at Avalanche if he was planning on offering the SSD mod for the DBair, and he said that he didn't have any plans to. Too many durability and warranty issues was the reason.

mtbr member
    I don't see the point of the CS. Most of us loved the fact that CC didn't have any platform when they first came out. Now we're all clamoring for a platform?

I don't notice any bob or loss in efficiency with my dbair on long seated climbs and I wouldn't take the the time to reach down and switch it for short standing sprinting efforts like you get fairly often on some trails and in Enduro races

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I don't see the point of the CS. Most of us loved the fact that CC didn't have any platform when they first came out. Now we're all clamoring for a platform?

I don't notice any bob or loss in efficiency with my dbair on long seated climbs and I wouldn't take the the time to reach down and switch it for short standing sprinting efforts like you get fairly often on some trails and in Enduro races
    The only reason I am getting it is it comes with new Chilco. I never considered it when I had the older DBA. Not worth it, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    The only reason I am getting it is it comes with new Chilco. I never considered it when I had the older DBA. Not worth it, in my opinion.
    You wouldn't want it for climbing Aspen Vista?

For those of you outside of NM, Aspen Vista is a fireroad that ascends roughly 2000ft in 6 miles. There is no reason for active suspension on that climb. The first stage for the Durango BME had ~2200ft climb on a fireroad, just to get to the start line. Those are the times where I would love to have the platform. And if the shock performs the same as what I have now when the switch is not engaged I see a definite win.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    If you read the reviews for the CS feature it doesn't sound like a platform in the sense we are used to from other shocks.

Personally coming from a VPP bike to a more active suspension design I'd rather have the CS lever and not use it than not have it and wish I did. My rides start at the bottom of a mountain and I spend 50%-65% of the ride climbing than the rest coming back down. I can see myself using the CS switch at the start and then turning it off at the top. I wouldn't mess with it for those short punchy climbs on the way down.

One of the reasons I want to get the DBAir in the first place is the tuning options. I look at the CS switch as another option I can use.

The standard DBAir is still available for folks that have no interest in the CS.

I would also comment [as someone who has not been able to get a test ride on a Knolly] that having the CS lever as an option might be helpful in selling bikes for folks that aren't able to see how the 4x4 design climbs for them on their local trails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    You wouldn't want it for climbing Aspen Vista?

For those of you outside of NM, Aspen Vista is a fireroad that ascends roughly 2000ft in 6 miles. There is no reason for active suspension on that climb. The first stage for the Durango BME had ~2200ft climb on a fireroad, just to get to the start line. Those are the times where I would love to have the platform. And if the shock performs the same as what I have now when the switch is not engaged I see a definite win.
    No! I WILL never ride that death march again…. Still hate you for that…

Dude, just get it. The shock is the same as yours with that added feature. My philosophy…if you have dough to buy something, do it!!!! If you don't like it, sell it and put old one back on. If you do like it, sell your old one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I plan on upgrading to this when I can actually get fair money for my DBA closer to the season. Riding in Colorado you run into some long sustained climbs on something like the Monarch Crest trail. I imagine it'd be nice for those and riding to and from the trails. I also wonder if this would be good to leave on for really buff flowy trails like 18rd where traction and plushness aren't really in short supply. Doubtful, but if you really only ride punchy shorter climbs I could definitely see how this would be unnecessary.

MC MasterShake
    I have one on my Endo and I use it mostly because I have it. If I didn't have it I wouldn't really miss it. It is cool how much better it is than the propedal but I don't think it's really necessary. Honestly, the Avy on the Chilly really helped me get it to where I want it. It pedals super well but it's megaplush w/o any need for levers or dials.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Elitest thrill junkie

Yeah, it's kind of hard to figure out what is going on here. It sounds like people with CCDBs are running the low-speed compression wide-open or something? There should be good firm low-speed damping that easily blows off, negating the need for a "climb" switch. This was the whole reason I loved my avalanche. Blew away the DHX at low and high speed, good low speed support that helps with pedaling/climbing.

I mean it's either that or it's a really really crappy pedaling bike?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I picked up the DBAir CS; on smooth climbs it is fantastic; fire road, groomed, etc. It reduces the bob on the climbs seeing how I tend to run my shock more open for a more "plush down hill ride".

BUT I find that the CS setting for a more tec ride to be too firm. I is good only when sitting down on the saddle or I tend to skip across a rooty trail and loose traction the same way as if I was riding my hard tail. Kind of wish that there was a 3rd setting in the middle for this situation.

At this point I am thinking that I might get it "de-tuned" when it needs its first service.

My 2 cents On a Chilli by the way.

mtbr member
    I just set mine up. Recommended sag is 20% for Chilcotin. That is cool. My old one I ran around 32% and sat far down in travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you read the reviews for the CS feature it doesn't sound like a platform in the sense we are used to from other shocks.

Personally coming from a VPP bike to a more active suspension design I'd rather have the CS lever and not use it than not have it and wish I did. My rides start at the bottom of a mountain and I spend 50%-65% of the ride climbing than the rest coming back down. I can see myself using the CS switch at the start and then turning it off at the top. I wouldn't mess with it for those short punchy climbs on the way down.

One of the reasons I want to get the DBAir in the first place is the tuning options. I look at the CS switch as another option I can use.

The standard DBAir is still available for folks that have no interest in the CS.

I would also comment [as someone who has not been able to get a test ride on a Knolly] that having the CS lever as an option might be helpful in selling bikes for folks that aren't able to see how the 4x4 design climbs for them on their local trails.
    Good points. I suppose if it's much better than Fox's ProPedal, doesn't effect the damping characteristics AT ALL when it's off, and it came on a new bike I was buying I would be fine with it. I just can't see buying one when I have a perfectly good CCDB Air already on my bike (Calhoun's original question).

I *might* even try it on the long steady climbs that most of my local rides begin with (1500-2000' on semi-smooth singletrack or fireroads), but I'd be way too likely to forget it was on and leave it on when I pointed the bike downhill, so in the end, I would probably avoid switching it on to begin with.

Options are good, but *for me* the law of diminishing returns applies here.

mtbr member
    I just can't see buying one when I have a perfectly good CCDB Air already on my bike (Calhoun's original question).

Options are good, but *for me* the law of diminishing returns applies here.
    +1 - Given the costs I wouldn't be replacing a DBAir I was totally happy with just to get the CS feature.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - Given the costs I wouldn't be replacing a DBAir I was totally happy with just to get the CS feature.
    I can get the CS for a really good deal and I doubt I will have much trouble selling the DBAir. I'd be surprised if I lost more than ~$50 in the exchange.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    No! I WILL never ride that death march again…. Still hate you for that…

Dude, just get it. The shock is the same as yours with that added feature. My philosophy…if you have dough to buy something, do it!!!! If you don't like it, sell it and put old one back on. If you do like it, sell your old one.
    Haha!

You know you liked it. Riding Raven's Ridge was worth that nasty climb.

-cabra cadabra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast