mtbr member

Anyone have experience with the different volume spacers in the CTD shock?

Looking at this chart:

Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios

I'm trying to find out which spacer our stock Endo's come with, and how many of the spacers we can "safely" use according to the chart. Not really sure what the "Eyelet" designations mean.

Whatever our CTD's come stock with, I'd like to try the next largest one up...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    The shock is 7.875 x 2.25 as you know.

Fox offers several ways to "tweak" the overall volume (and hence spring curve) of the damper assembly - this is done twofold:
    1) change the total (external) volume of the damper: this can be done with a sleeve change (XV1, XV2 - this was common on the RP23 shocks) or with the newer CTD shocks they do this with two different "eyelets": standard volume or large volume. All CTDs that ship on Knolly frames have the Large Volume eyelet installed.
    2) secondly, you can fine tune the internal volume of the shock by installing optional volume spacers. Currently CTD shocks that ship with the Chilcotin come without volume spacers and CTDs that ship with Endorphins come with a 0.2 "^3 volume spacer installed.

These settings were designed to address the overall customer base. Obviously, there are customers who are riding more aggressively or who weigh more and need extra support in their shock, or who just want a different spring curve profile: increasing / decreasing internal volume spacers is a good way to achieve these changes as switching them is easy to do. Fox even sells a kit that includes the 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6 cu-in volume spacers in it, so you can play with four different settings (the three volume spacers or none installed) and see what you like the best.

Regards,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi!
    I have changed mine, the stock one is the smalest of the 5. The eyelet is the Large Volume, meaning we can fit all sizes. I used one size larger, but i will try a size bigger since i still bottoming out to easy.

mtbr member
    Awesome info, thanks to you both. Hope all is well your way Noel!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The spacer kit for the CTD is 5 sizes, the one with 3 is for the older rp23.
    They might fit but there are 2 versions availible.

Cavan at knolly mentioned to me in an e-mail that if changing the size does not help the bottoming out issue, then i might have to consider retuning the shock to a medium, medium tune. i weight 230 ready to ride. I also consider changing the shock for a RS monach plus rc3 if it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoFa73 View Post
    The spacer kit for the CTD is 5 sizes, the one with 3 is for the older rp23.
    They might fit but there are 2 versions availible.

Cavan at knolly mentioned to me in an e-mail that if changing the size does not help the bottoming out issue, then i might have to consider retuning the shock to a medium, medium tune. i weight 230 ready to ride. I also consider changing the shock for a RS monach plus rc3 if it doesn't work.
    So I'm about 215 but have run into the same problems (tradeoff between small bump and bottom out) as you running air cans in the past (heh, it has been a while, I've stuck to coil for years now). That being said, if I had to do a re-tune or consider changing shocks, I'd probably be talking to Craig @ Avalanche Suspension about a re-tune on the stock shock. MY buddy (230#ish) had it done on his transition and he said it rides much better.

mtbr member
    Craig has tuned it CZ (which was a HUGE improvement over stock,) but I'd still like to try a slightly larger spacer. Craig told me to use whichever one felt better.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Craig has tuned it CZ (which was a HUGE improvement over stock,) but I'd still like to try a slightly larger spacer. Craig told me to use whichever one felt better.
    Hey- good to hear, I think I had read your thoughts on it....I was more saying this for JoFa73 as he is at a crossroads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Hey- good to hear, I think I had read your thoughts on it....I was more saying this for JoFa73 as he is at a crossroads.

Ah ok, sorry, not enough coffee in me yet this morning.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Ah ok, sorry, not enough coffee in me yet this morning.
    Science! Love the pic.

I've been kicking around picking up an endorphin, but the chilcotin leaves me smiling every time, which takes away some of the incentive!

%$#$*!
    Hey rscecil007, curious what your issue is with the CTD that wasn't affected by the Avy tune. I ask because I'm about to send my CTD to Craig as well.

mtbr member
    The tune is awesome, def does everything I need/want it to on that bike in terms of feel, responsiveness, and the rear wheel tracking. But at the 30% sag, I'm sinking a bit farther into the travel than I'd want on fairly tame trails, with very little if any jumping or drops. Any of that, and it'd be bottoming for sure.

Last I talked to Craig, he said if this was the case just up the volume spacer a size. I don't think his tune will specifically address this issue, but I could be mistaken.

Also FWIW, I'm probably 215 ready to ride, so not exactly a lightweight. Makes sense I'd need a slightly bigger spacer in my mind anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am super light weight and have the same issue as rscecil007. Craig said at my weight and 30% sag, I have such a low psi in the shock that it doesn't ramp up enough. Basically for every mm travel the air volume ^3 is multiplied. The AVY tune made the shock feel wonderful and track the trail surface so much better. His tuning doesn't really address the progressiveness of the shock from what I gathered.

%$#$*!
    Interesting. Thanks for the response guys. Would running it at 25% or less sag take away the positive aspects of the tune or are the volume adjusters the only answer?

mtbr member
    I've tried it that way, and you just lose a little of that small bump compliance, but it wasn't horrible. I just want to try the volume spacer out for reference.

I'm basing alot of this on my experience with my Pike. No tokens didn't work for me, but adding one seems about perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    So I'm about 215 but have run into the same problems (tradeoff between small bump and bottom out) as you running air cans in the past (heh, it has been a while, I've stuck to coil for years now). That being said, if I had to do a re-tune or consider changing shocks, I'd probably be talking to Craig @ Avalanche Suspension about a re-tune on the stock shock. MY buddy (230#ish) had it done on his transition and he said it rides much better.
    I have been reading about the avy tunes, but since i live in sweden, the price of shipping and modifing the shock would be more than a new shock.
    I read this blog. Orange Pulp*: Rock Shox steps up their game in a huge way with the new Pike RCT3 fork and Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock!
    Thats why i think of going down the RS route, + it's easier to service here.

//Jonas