mtbr member

Any of you folks live in Salt Lake City?

I might (big if) have a job opportunity down there, and I'm trying to get an idea of the riding down there. Obviously it's going to be way different than Seattle/the PNW, but here we can ride all year round. Is that possible in SLC with such high elevation and snowfall?

I seen and heard of some pretty good trails there (have friends in town), but wanted to throw this out on the forum here.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Whoa! I enjoyed riding out in SLC but never in the Winter so I'm not certain if you can ride year-round in the higher elevations on the Wasatch range.

Pending strike got you worried?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Year round in SLC, no. However, Moab and St George are close and much more year round.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I figured year round was a no-go. I do snowboard so that's not a huge loss.

Is there anyplace somewhat close to SLC, say 60 or 90 minutes away, where a day trip might be possible if i get a jones for a bike ride off season?

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Thanks, I figured year round was a no-go. I do snowboard so that's not a huge loss.

Is there anyplace somewhat close to SLC, say 60 or 90 minutes away, where a day trip might be possible if i get a jones for a bike ride off season?
    Catch22 might know of something. Ibex is a bouldering area that might have some XC potential for winter riding, but it is undeveloped for mountain biking as far as I know.

Ibex Bouldering, Utah
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    SLC Utard checkin in.

The short answer to your question is "no". However, most years you can ride most of the year by traveling south to Moab or Hurricane/St George area. That said, the powder here is rather intoxicating so winters are no problem. On low snow years we do have a spot or two within an hour of SLC that can be ridden. I wind up riding most months of the year, typically Jan and Feb are so snowy that it's all about the board, splitboard, and sled.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Agreed with Err, last year I was still riding (in cold temps) well into January in the foothills here. Some years that stuff is buried in November. Low elevation trails usually start openning back up in March. Stansbury Island, about an hour west stays pretty dry most winters and St George is fantastic for weekend trips during the winter months. For the most part though, Jan and Feb are snow months and you can either enjoy the snowboarding or pick up a fatbike or some studded tires and just keep riding.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, but for now we are staying in Seattle, things just weren't lining up to make this happen.

All this is good to know for the future though. Maybe later down the road this opportunity will arise again. I suspect more positions will open up, as the division down there is expanding.