Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any speculation on new 2015 knolly

Sounds like theres going to be a new bike coming out any ideas?

Doerfling Signs with Knolly Bikes for Two More Years - Pinkbike

29er or 650B podium
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I saw that article, too. Knolly could just be referring to the still unreleased 27.5 Endorphin?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    carbon chilcotin with forward geometry?

Five5hot
    "We plan to launch a new, innovative bike in 2015 and James will be front and centre helping us to share the bike to the public."

I was thinking Podium 650b also since Doerfling will have his input on the new ride. Could be an updated Chilcotin with longer legs as well.

Knoly 2015 will definitely hurt the wallets but please the soul.

mtbr member
    I hope for 650b podium
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Wink

Not so fast! First 27.5 Endorphin, then Carbon Warden, then we'll see about that 27.5 Podium.

Although I wouldn't describe any of those as particularly innovative. Is that just marketing speak or does Noel have something else up his sleeve.

How about a 7" travel FS 29+?

mtbr member
    "Not so fast! First 27.5 Endorphin, then Carbon Warden, then we'll see about that 27.5 Podium."

All would be nice

Pivoteer
    If James will be showcasing it then I would suspect some sort of Chilcotin+ with more travel and bigger wheels. I don't think a 650B Podium would be much of a surprise to anyone.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    27.5'' Delirium T with 170-180mm of travel.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock View Post
    knock the T off that and I'd think you are close.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm torn... Endo 26/Warden/Podium + SS 29er + Road bike = Bliss...

I'd love me the Delirium, but the Warden just covers EVERYTHING in between.

My N+1 math right now is favoring either a go fast/marathoner like the Czar or a stupid play bike for slower rides when I take beginners out on group rides(RM Blizzard or Speshy Fat Boy or King Kahn).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    ... Carbon Warden...

Mmmm this would be very interesting!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    Mmmm this would be very interesting!!
    Oh, I'm pretty sure this is a thing. I'm guessing a first glimpse of a prototype at 2015 Eurobike with delivery by May or June of 2016. I suspect the geo will be tweaked a little over the current Warden and maybe the travel stretched to 155-165mm..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Oh, I'm pretty sure this is a thing. I'm guessing a first glimpse of a prototype at 2015 Eurobike with delivery by May or June of 2016. I suspect the geo will be tweaked a little over the current Warden and maybe the travel stretched to 155-165mm..
    Seriously? I can't wait another year for a new ride, so maybe i'll just focus on a placeholder 'till then. I hope the Warden remains an all rounder, those changes sound like Nomad land. Although to be fair I haven't demo'd a Nomad yet so just picking up from everything I've read.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    Seriously? I can't wait another year for a new ride, so maybe i'll just focus on a placeholder 'till then. I hope the Warden remains an all rounder, those changes sound like Nomad land. Although to be fair I haven't demo'd a Nomad yet so just picking up from everything I've read.
    I have no inside knowledge of what Noel is planning. Just guessing. He may keep the numbers pretty much the same too, but I'm pretty sure there will be a carbon warden and I bet my guess on the timeline is pretty close. With a small company like Knolly you have to be patient. But your patience will pay off.

Lots of good place holders out there in that category if you must have carbon now.

mtbr member
    Having not ridden a Knolly yet but very interested in the new Endo, what do you think carbon will get you on these bikes? Knollys already have a reputation for being quite stiff and carbon usually only gets you .5 to 1lb of weight savings on a frame typically.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you think Knolly has the volume to make carbon frames in a cost effective way? Tooling is quite pricey. I don't see any of the smaller builders doing carbon, would be nice to see though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    Do you think Knolly has the volume to make carbon frames in a cost effective way? Tooling is quite pricey. I don't see any of the smaller builders doing carbon, would be nice to see though.
    I wonder if Ellsworth's new owners might offer a viable, low volume production option now that they're (presumably) getting up to speed in the bike business. I can't imagine Ellsworth is doing close to the volume that even Knolly is right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Having not ridden a Knolly yet but very interested in the new Endo, what do you think carbon will get you on these bikes? Knollys already have a reputation for being quite stiff and carbon usually only gets you .5 to 1lb of weight savings on a frame typically.
    I think if there was still going to be a strong market for alloy frames, especially excellent boutique alloy frames like Knolly makes, I don't think Noel would bother with carbon. He's stated in a couple places and in private conversations that he is "material neutral". He feels like he can build a frame just as stiff and nearly as light (or at least light enough) to function the way he wants it to using aluminum.

I think you do gain a few things going to carbon (1-1.5 lb weight savings for the same or increased stiffness if done well, better/ quieter damping characteristics for instance) but the advantages are admittedly small and most of the reasons to go carbon will have to do with market forces and demands.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-29-2014 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    I don't know. I don't think Noel would do it if it didn't make financial sense for Knolly. We'll see.

mtbr member
    So sad that I cannot contribute to these speculation threads any more

Sip the whisky and you will be fine. Noel has not released a bad product to date.

Regarding "material neutral", this is exactly the point. The counter is also true, if he can make a better bike out of -adamantium- then he will try to find a way to make it work. He is an engineer at heart, not a marketing poodle. If it makes sense, and will result in a better bike, he will try to make it happen.

If only I could convince him to make a 4" travel DJ bike, I could have a complete quiver. But that would be so "innovative" and "new"...

Haha, I kid, I kid....
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Montana, Idaho, South Africa

mtbr member
    I would love a delerium 650b, 160 to 180mm travel adjustable geometry and able to run dual crown fork if required. Carbon optional.......

mtbr member
    probably a 650b 160/170 travel Chilcotin, but renamed (I've been the Chilis and you don't need a big bike you need an Endo, i'm sure Knolly recognise their own naming blooper too)....or a podium mini like the 250 was to the 450 transition...

I'm hoping for a 2016 carbon warden 650b with the new 148 axle size and with slightly slightly shorter wheelbase ..to replace my chili.. else I'm buying a canyon.
    2015 Rocky Mountain Altitude 790 RE | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

www.mtbfreeride.tv
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrock View Post
    sure, for all the new released 180mm single crown forks out there

BC
    mtbr member
    6lb. Carbon Delirium, 24 inch wheels, 9 inches of travel w 15 inch bb height. .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast