Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

any of the mags doing reviews?

Any of the mags doing reviews of the endorphin or chilcotin yet?

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    Why do you need a magazine review? Just go here.

Knollfest: The Complete Story
    Last edited by norton55; 12-15-2012 at 08:35 AM.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Why do need a magazine review? Just go here.

Knollfest: The Complete Story
    +1 best review you can get OR read in this section since most of us have owned many other bikes so its not like we would be biased or paid to say only good things.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Exactly !!!! plenty of people here on chilcotins as their first Knolly (myself included). Ask questions and you will receive answers. Do you want us to compare suspension feel to say DW or VPP or something else ?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't waste time on Mag reviews. These Gents are correct in just reading here. If you really want an in depth opinion, hook up with some of KRobs write ups or opinions.

mtbr member
    I don't think Noel is interested in having magazines (or websites) review/test his bikes. His reputation and the reputation of his bikes is stellar. He really has nothing to gain. Those who've been around a bit and ridden a bunch of other bikes, and enjoy the type of hard riding (see Knollfest) for which Knollies are built will eventually discover them on their own.

I think he'd much rather just get the word out through satisfied customers and his excellent dealer network.

Those who know, ride Knolly.

Disclaimer: (So as not to sound too much like a total Knolly fanboy) There are other really good bikes out there and some folks prefer one type of suspension over another...... but you'd be hard pressed to find a brand that works any better in rough terrain (up and down), holds up as well, or is supported better.

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    KRob,
    I spent many years on a Santa Cruz Blur, and I am a huge fan of VPP. But when I attack the chunk, my Endo disappears under me. The only limiting factor is me. I have cleaned some sections where I have had to stop and let my brain catch up with my body.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hmm, well, we could discuss the horst link? how does a knolly compare to Nicholai's or lapierre's take on it, vs the take on it from Norco? or from Specialized and Cube? and how does it stack up against an Ellsworth and their take onn it?

i have an intense tracer. I have no interest in comparing horst link to VPP. I want to know if Knolly make the best take on the horst link.

mtbr member
    Having ridden and owned several Horst link bikes I do think the 4x4 is superior. It's completely active up down and under load, braking and coasting (which should be a given) but where it really shines is the lack of wallow. The chilcotin climbs the steep techy stuff like nothing else I've ridden without the need for a travel adjust fork or for you to get your Weight stupid forward. on other Horst bikes I would have to sit on the nose of the saddle and really lean forward - I can say FWIW on the chilcotin I've climbed stuff that I never have on Horst, VPP and DW link bikes. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks Wilks, it does. I live in the Uk and a bike needs to be all round as we don't have endless descents. it's got to be good on the ups and the in betweens....the reference to mag reviews was in part because i read the pinkbike feature on the endorphin on their website and it hinted at a review at some point. I don't know Knolly's staff, but there are a number of small manufacturers with a mercurial designer who knows his onions who happily give their bikes up to review and i want to see how an endorphin and a chilcotin stack up next to the best of the rest under scrutiny from testers who have ridden every incarnation of every design.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    never mind
    Last edited by pfarrell; 12-15-2012 at 02:48 PM.

RideDirt
    The only other FS bike that i can compare my chili is the spec enduro comp i had .. Fork and shock wise they are basically the same setup air.. The enduro was a great bike , its what i used to progress from my hardtail and pushed pushed pushed ... The riding out here in NJ is rough, there is a lot of raw terrain that consist of roots , rocks , off camber faces , steep ups and downs ... I never was great at climbing , hated it and still do hate it lol .. The only thing i didnt like about the enduro was the climbing , the front end would always come up and if i really had my weight pushed up front it felt annoying and not fun and off balance . The enduro is a great bike for what it can do , it can handle whatever you can throw at it, and its capable of being built up as light DH bike as well..

Now the chili , i compare my bikes on the same trails with the same speeds ... The chili is a stiff bike , its predictable , and it just goes... I have noticed that it climbs as if someone was pushing my from behind lol no joke ..The bike stays planted , it rails turns , really no type of wallowing, and is a stable bike .. I finally got a coil shock on it for now and it feels so right at home ( was fine with the rp23 but i love a coil better ) .. The bike handles the chunk no doubt about it ...Coming off my injury from this July when i got hurt from downhilling this bike is helping me build confidence back up again and ride loose again.. It just feels soooo damn good the faster you go ..I have no regrets at all and i love how diverse you can build this bike to be.. I built this bike up to be my " do it all " bike .. I have a Marzz 66 fork coming in which is a coil fork with 180mm travel.. Ill be using it for my downhill sessions next year once season opens up again but for now i have the Lyrik Air with 170mm of travel and it does the job for all my local trail riding ..

Last edited by aedubber; 12-15-2012 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    WTF? Who has a garage that clean? Jealous. And yes, what aedubber said above is spot on..."The chili is a stiff bike. Its predictable , and it just goes... I have noticed that it climbs as if someone was pushing my from behind lol no joke...The bike stays planted, it rails turns, really no type of wallowing, and is a stable bike".

TSC
    Buehliever
    Joe Hanrahan of Blister Gear Review has a Chili. I exchanged emails with him a few weeks ago. This is what he wrote:
    I've only had my Chili since mid-August 2012, and wasn't really able to ride it until mid-September due to injury. I rode the heck out of it up until we posted that initial review on Oct 26th, but I'm waiting until probably sometime next spring so I can have a proper long term opinion of it's durability.
    That said: you've got an amazing information resource here. Many of the people posting on the Knolly board would make great "professional" reviewers (if there is such a thing) as they have the:

riding experience on multiple suspension systems,
    knowledge of what is perfection for them (something to take into account with all reviews), and
    ability to articulate what they like/dislike in what they are testing.

There are only two drawbacks:

Except with Qbert and an occasional random poster most less-favorable things are usually couched in a way not to offend or not offered. If you ever find that you question is not being answered as you would like, PMs can gain you that knowledge in a more direct way.

You already know their overall answer by what they ride. It really kills the suspense. ...but not the suspension! (I will probably be embarrassed later; but, right now in my stupor, that's a quality pun!)
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    WTF? Who has a garage that clean?
    Is that why you keep your Chilicotin on your kitchen counter, your garage is too dirty?

FWIW: I've noticed that most Knommers seem to have immaculate garages. It's probably a sign of OCD, which is why they know so much about bikes--OBSESSION!!!

RideDirt
    TSC- You nailed it on the dot man lol , im like an OCD freak when it comes to things i own . You should see my room haha , the way i have everything perfectly lined up, centered, all my picture frames are measured to the dot , centered , and aligned lol .

I used to have a garage years ago when i used to build up cars , probably one of the cleanest most organized garages you would of seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Is that why you keep your Chilicotin on your kitchen counter, your garage is too dirty? :ihi

FWIW: I've noticed that most Knommers seem to have immaculate garages. It's probably a sign of OCD, which is why they know so much about bikes--OBSESSION!!!
    That's kind of true...With three young boys, my garage is a ****in' disaster. When I was single OCD was more prevalent. My bikes are always in top shape though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good post TSC. Agree that people on here are unlikely to diss a Knolly in any way. The advantage of bike reviews is that they are objective and the best reviewers have tested 1000s of bikes and within that can easily qualify the suspension of a knolly vs all incarnations of the horst link from specialized, lapierre, chumba, khs, nicholai, norco, Liteville etc and ellsworth's similar patent. They coud then qualify it against the other suspension systems on the market, frame materials etc.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheeled View Post
    Good post TSC. Agree that people on here are unlikely to diss a Knolly in any way. The advantage of bike reviews is that they are objective and the best reviewers have tested 1000s of bikes and within that can easily qualify the suspension of a knolly vs all incarnations of the horst link from specialized, lapierre, chumba, khs, nicholai, norco, Liteville etc and ellsworth's similar patent. They coud then qualify it against the other suspension systems on the market, frame materials etc.
    Definitely; the Knolly forum is not the only place I would go for bike buying info. Here are my personal worries with "professional" reviews and reviewers:

-- Saddle Time: there are very few professional reviewers--do it for a living. (That's why I put the word "professional" in quotes in my previous post.) It's hard to make a living being a reviewer, so many reviewers have a job that pays the bills. The paying job limits their time in the saddle. With so many mountain bikes released every year reviewers have to split that saddle time between multiple bikes; therefore, the "complete shakedown" on a bike may actually be incomplete.

-- Humanity: we are all biased (e.g. the shape of the ice cream carton affects the perceived taste of the ice cream). Complicating that even more is that our biases can change from day to day. Chances are that a bike will "under-perform" if a reviewer is having a few bad days (e.g. fight with spouse) that align with the test period; but would get a better review if the reviewer had more time in the saddle.

-- Preferences: my type of preferred riding may be vastly different from the review so what he/she values in a bike and what I value may be quite different. You can diminish this worry by reading the same reviewer over an extended period of time and understand what he/she prefers.

I do read professorial reviews but I always keep these things in mind. These limitations are one reason I think this forum offers complimentary (if not better) information. Most of the people on this forum own/have owned the bikes to which you wish to compare. That diminishes, but does eliminate, my first two worries. The third is diminished because I PM or follow the posts of those who are most influencing my opinion.

Another way to try and eliminate reviewer subjectiveness is to find what you want in bike and understand what that is on paper. That way, you can chase your dream bike in a more objective manner. This method has its own problems:

-- Time Consuming: Lots to learn (e.g. jargon, some physics, modeling software, what you actually like, prioritizing what matters most to you, ...)

-- Model Incorrectness: Small problems in the model or modelling software can make the data useless (i.e. garbage in = garbage out).

If you like this method, Antonio Osuna provides a lot of useful info (the most I've found) BUT: it is in Spanish; it is a blog (harder to find exactly what you want); and you have to assume his models are accurate.

Linkage Design: Knolly Chilcotin 2011
    Linkage Design: Tutoriales

In Reality: there is no substitute for personal seat time on the bike in which you are interested. With a Knolly you buy by faith or go to a destination (like Gooseberry Mesa) and rent.

RideDirt
    If you call the best reviewers a 1 day spin around the trail system or a few shuttle runs , or MAYBE 1 week of abusing a bike an ideal review, then i dunno what to say to that lol . As said before , people on here are honest , have ridden many bikes , different suspension setups , from XC to straight up DH .. They have been riding and smashing for years not a few spins . People tell it as it is .. We have ridden in every type of different weather and conditions , not just " prime conditions " .. Also , im sure a lot of these guys race as well or have a background of racing so that is another plus about forums and not magazines .

Or we can make this thread have a super easy solution , just go and demo whatever bikes you can rather then make a thread .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i don't know how they review bikes across the pond. Here, the 'reviewer' has generally ridden every bike going. They generally have them for a couple of weeks and rotate them with other bikes at the time around a core group of testers who help in the final analysis - this core group has different abilities and tastes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    in the UK, Knolly is imported by a great company, but they only have a chilcotin demo at present. They're also not that local to where i live. The importer sells them direct to the customer. Bikeradar loved the old enorphin, singletrack didn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheeled View Post
    in the UK, Knolly is imported by a great company, but they only have a chilcotin demo at present. They're also not that local to where i live. The importer sells them direct to the customer. Bikeradar loved the old enorphin, singletrack didn't.
    uk mags seem to give much more in depth reviews over us mags. they do seem to ride them for a bit before reviewing them giving you a better idea of what you are looking at.

knolly does make some great bikes. the chili is a fantastic 6" bike. i think the endo would be great too.

once the chili's ship with the 3d rockers, the chili's one fault will be gone and it doesn't affect the ride at all, just can put an end to it sometimes at the worst time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    once the chili's ship with the 3d rockers, the chili's one fault will be gone and it doesn't affect the ride at all, just can put an end to it sometimes at the worst time.
    Oh god, I'll give you $500 for yours right now.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Oh god, I'll give you $500 for yours right now.
    it's ok. knolly is making the change. weird, they don't agree with you that it's not an issue. keep chirping though, it makes you look smarter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast