mtbr member

Any Knolly owners have much experience with tapered forks, any thoughts?

A old friend who's now a roadie and I were talking about this the other day, in terms of the potential benefits of a tapered fork, so just curious what others might think.

Has anyone gone from a straight steer tube fork to a tapered version of the same fork, on the same bike? Did you noticed a difference in stiffness if so? Is it worth switching forks to go to a tapered if you don't have one?

We were mainly talking about a situation with say my Chili set up, where i have a straight steer tube 170mm fork with an inset lower headset cup, to keep the stock geometry. Versus having a tapered version of the same fork with an external lower cup headset that would slack the geo out by about 0.5 degrees.

So is the extra stiffness of the tapered worth the wee bit of slack it causes? Or not worth it? That type of thing.

DISCUSS!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't have much input specifically to tapered fork stiffness as I have never run a tapered fork, but I think the intention of the taper is to improve headtube stiffness in relation to long-term stress (or isolated events of high stress). This is where a lot of frames may develop failure over time.

I purchased a new Endo with a straight 1 1/8 fork and am running an external lower cup to keep the slack geometry. I am using crown race that accommodates the 1/8 fork to the 1.5 lower headset cup. I do not thinking having a tapered steer tube on the fork is going to provide the additional stiffness, it is just a way to fit a fork within a tapered headtube.

I may be way off base but that's how I have been interpreting one of the latest bike frame standards.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    In a slight twist to what you are looking for;
    I have a Fox 36 that I have been told is stiffer than the Lyric with the same head tube.
    My 36 is 1 1/8th and my Lyric is tapered. I can feel the difference between the two and the tapered head tube is the stiffer by a good margin.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    The taper will be stiffer, as it has more area to disperse the force over. You will likely notice the difference.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The difference is there, but it isn't as noticeable as going from 9mm to 20mm front wheel axle diameter.

mtbr member
    I think there is a fair bit of armchair quarterbacking here. Cross-sectional area only makes it stiffer if everything else stays the same, including machining and wall thickness. In my understanding the taper is actually thinner and lighter, but not noticeably stiffer. I think when they designed these forks they new that stiffer and lighter would be selling points, but people would only really pay attention to lighter, since that is the only thing that can be verified easily.

I believe most of them are probably 1% stiff (just to be able to justify the claim), and several dozen grams lighter when compared to their counterpart. For me it is not much of a difference. When I had to send back my Fox 36 taper, I specified a straight steerer replacement. (due to usability on all frames)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I think there is a fair bit of armchair quarterbacking here. Cross-sectional area only makes it stiffer if everything else stays the same, including machining and wall thickness. In my understanding the taper is actually thinner and lighter, but not noticeably stiffer. I think when they designed these forks they new that stiffer and lighter would be selling points, but people would only really pay attention to lighter, since that is the only thing that can be verified easily.

I believe most of them are probably 1% stiff (just to be able to justify the claim), and several dozen grams lighter when compared to their counterpart. For me it is not much of a difference. When I had to send back my Fox 36 taper, I specified a straight steerer replacement. (due to usability on all frames)
    I don't mean for this to come across in a negative way but have you ridden the two types of forks back to back?
    And my Lyric in tapered is 30g heaver than a Lyric with a straight steerer.

mtbr member
    To me the tapered thing is one of the few new standards I see as having real merit. From an armchair engineering standpoint, all the stress from the steer tube/headset cup interface is on the bottom of the head tube area.

So it seems like the tapered really would be a benefit. Now is it tangible, that's what I wonder.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.