mtbr member

Advice on Shock For Chili

Hey all so I am going to build up a Chili, I bought it with no shock and wanted some advice. Given the choice between the two, Which shock would you choose?

1- 2013 Van RC
    2- 2011 DHX RC2

Any input appreciated.

mtbr member
    Van RC no question. Then send it to Craig at Avalanche when your funds allow.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Van RC no question. Then send it to Craig at Avalanche when your funds allow.
    What he said
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    If the DHX was 200 and the Van 240 would it influence your choice?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post

Nope.

TSC
    More Verbose Than Mose
    Just don't get the extended reservoir (an Avy extra both Ryan and I got) on the Van and you're $10 ahead.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    No, go ahead and get the extended reservoir.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Will get the Van RC and the send it to Avalanche later on in the summer. You guys love that shock huh.

RideDirt
    I love what WORKS ... So yes , mine will be sent out to Avy shortly , need to get ready for downhill season

TSC
    More Verbose Than Mose
    Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Will get the Van RC and the send it to Avalanche later on in the summer. You guys love that shock huh.
    A wise man told me that a DBair was a 7 or 8 and that the Avy'd VanRC was a 10. After my first ride I thought he was being generous to the DBair or using a logarithmic scale. My first ride on my Avy'd VanRC, after months on DBair , was like a "born again" experience.

Note: Both of us were riding pre-fix DBair shocks. I understand they are a lot better now. It could also be that I just don't have the skill to tune a DBair. Whatever the reason, I doubt I could ever get the updated DBair to ride as nice as my Avy'd VanRC.YMMV.

BTW, I'm putting my money where my mouth is: I just bought a VanRC, for my big bike, that is headed toward Craig right now. My Boxxer will be following it shortly. And, let's not forget about my Marz 55 he has right now and my Marz 66 which he has already done.
    Last edited by TSC; 01-28-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    A wise man told me that a DBair was a 7 or 8 and that the Avy'd VanRC was a 10. After my first ride I thought he was being generous to the DBair or using a logarithmic scale. My first ride on my Avy'd VanRC, after months on DBair , was like a "born again" experience.

Note: Both of us were riding pre-fix DBair shocks. I understand they are a lot better now. It could also be that I just don't have the skill to tune a DBair. Whatever the reason, I doubt I could ever get the updated DBair to ride as nice as my Avy'd VanRC.YMMV.

BTW, I'm putting my money where my mouth is: I just bought a VanRC, for my big bike, that is headed toward Craig right now. My Boxxer will be following it shortly. And, let's not forget about my Marz 55 he has right now and my Marz 66 which he has already done.
    The RC2/RC4 has a much larger shaft than the VanRc, 5/8 vs 1/2 inch diameter, and when compressed, 56 % more oil is forced through the compression adjuster in the reservoir than the VanRc, this causes just that much more damping forces. For higher speed hits the damping forces need to be relieved to prevent harsh spiking and with the rising rate of the Chili the increased shaft speed at the end of travel is just more oil than is needed with the RC2 and is harder to relieve. The VanRc has a very large compression adjuster valve for the size of the shaft and with the new high speed valving we add and the modified range of the low speed adjuster it makes for a better shock set-up for rising rate linkages. The RC2/RC4 can be made to work well but is better suited for linkages that need more damping at the end of stroke, we call these linkage systems linear (single pivot) or regressive (falling rate pedal efficiency linkages). And for the same but opposite reasons for these types of frames we would recommend the RC2/RC4.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for the response craig, I will be getting the RC and then sending it out to you.