Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    490

    Advice on Shock For Chili

    Hey all so I am going to build up a Chili, I bought it with no shock and wanted some advice. Given the choice between the two, Which shock would you choose?

    1- 2013 Van RC
    2- 2011 DHX RC2

    Any input appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,983
    Van RC no question. Then send it to Craig at Avalanche when your funds allow.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  3. #3
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,141
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Van RC no question. Then send it to Craig at Avalanche when your funds allow.
    What he said
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    490
    If the DHX was 200 and the Van 240 would it influence your choice?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    If the DHX was 200 and the Van 240 would it influence your choice?

    Nope.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  6. #6
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    More Verbose Than Mose
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    If the DHX was 200 and the Van 240 would it influence your choice?
    Just don't get the extended reservoir (an Avy extra both Ryan and I got) on the Van and you're $10 ahead.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,983
    No, go ahead and get the extended reservoir.

    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    490
    Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Will get the Van RC and the send it to Avalanche later on in the summer. You guys love that shock huh.

  9. #9
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,188
    I love what WORKS ... So yes , mine will be sent out to Avy shortly , need to get ready for downhill season

  10. #10
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    More Verbose Than Mose
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Will get the Van RC and the send it to Avalanche later on in the summer. You guys love that shock huh.
    A wise man told me that a DBair was a 7 or 8 and that the Avy'd VanRC was a 10. After my first ride I thought he was being generous to the DBair or using a logarithmic scale. My first ride on my Avy'd VanRC, after months on DBair , was like a "born again" experience.

    Note: Both of us were riding pre-fix DBair shocks. I understand they are a lot better now. It could also be that I just don't have the skill to tune a DBair. Whatever the reason, I doubt I could ever get the updated DBair to ride as nice as my Avy'd VanRC.YMMV.

    BTW, I'm putting my money where my mouth is: I just bought a VanRC, for my big bike, that is headed toward Craig right now. My Boxxer will be following it shortly. And, let's not forget about my Marz 55 he has right now and my Marz 66 which he has already done.
    Last edited by TSC; 01-28-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    A wise man told me that a DBair was a 7 or 8 and that the Avy'd VanRC was a 10. After my first ride I thought he was being generous to the DBair or using a logarithmic scale. My first ride on my Avy'd VanRC, after months on DBair , was like a "born again" experience.

    Note: Both of us were riding pre-fix DBair shocks. I understand they are a lot better now. It could also be that I just don't have the skill to tune a DBair. Whatever the reason, I doubt I could ever get the updated DBair to ride as nice as my Avy'd VanRC.YMMV.

    BTW, I'm putting my money where my mouth is: I just bought a VanRC, for my big bike, that is headed toward Craig right now. My Boxxer will be following it shortly. And, let's not forget about my Marz 55 he has right now and my Marz 66 which he has already done.
    The RC2/RC4 has a much larger shaft than the VanRc, 5/8 vs 1/2 inch diameter, and when compressed, 56 % more oil is forced through the compression adjuster in the reservoir than the VanRc, this causes just that much more damping forces. For higher speed hits the damping forces need to be relieved to prevent harsh spiking and with the rising rate of the Chili the increased shaft speed at the end of travel is just more oil than is needed with the RC2 and is harder to relieve. The VanRc has a very large compression adjuster valve for the size of the shaft and with the new high speed valving we add and the modified range of the low speed adjuster it makes for a better shock set-up for rising rate linkages. The RC2/RC4 can be made to work well but is better suited for linkages that need more damping at the end of stroke, we call these linkage systems linear (single pivot) or regressive (falling rate pedal efficiency linkages). And for the same but opposite reasons for these types of frames we would recommend the RC2/RC4.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    490
    Cool. Thanks for the response craig, I will be getting the RC and then sending it out to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •