mtbr member
    Jan 2009

advice from american/canadian people please,

hi guys,,,,
    though strictly not bike related as such im going to ask in here as you guys are a very helpful and friendly bunch,,,
    we are toying with the idea of renting a pick up for our whistler trip next month, through enterprise in squamish, initially it's just going to be col and myself, but most likley will be 4 or 5 however many we can fit in safely. with friends from the challet,
    enterprise list 2 types of pickup on their web site, chevy colarado/ dodge dakota or similar, it says it seats up to 6 adults,

or the large size is ford f150 or similar, that says it holds 5 adults,

what would you guys recomend for carrying adults and bikes, i know the 150 is a beast as i have seen them, but not sure what the others look like as i cant say ive really heard of them,
    as i said we would be looking to get as many people/bikes in as we safely/legally can, we would be looking to ride/shuttle pemberton and squamish for a few days, thanks in advance guys, ian

mtbr member
    The Colorado & Dakota are slightly smaller than the 150. I'd recommend the ford.

Bnerd
    The F150 will accommodate 5 adults somewhat comfortably. The other two trucks will fit the number of adults listed but it will be a squeeze.
    Regardless of which truck you rent all your gear will have to be stowed in the bed with that many people riding in the truck. This is a concern if the weather isn't great and you would like to keep helmets, shoes, gloves, packs, etc... dry.

And, delirian, I'm still down for a ride(s) if your our schedules work out when you're back in Whistler this time around.

mtbr member
    Go big or go home! Get the F-150.

mtbr member
    It really depends on the specific model. You will want to make sure that whatever you rent is a dual cab model. They make models that don't have a full size back seats. 4 wheel drive is an obvious plus but the rentals are likely to be 2 wheel drive. If I were limited to 2 wheel drive, I would rent a large passenger van and see if I could find someplace too drop off a row or two of seats.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    or the large size is ford f150 or similar, that says it holds 5 adults,
    I've got a F150. It will hold 5 adults. You can squeeze in one more in the rear without a seatbelt if you want to take the risk. There will be bucket seats and a console in any rental F150s so you are only getting 2 in the front.

5 men with 5 FS MTBs and their gear will fit in a F150 comfortably.

A Dakota size truck is smaller than the F150. If it says you can fit 6 there must be a bench seat in the front and an extra seatbelt. Things will be cramped if you are bigger guys.

You can buy some tarps and straps/rope at Home Depot in Squamish to cover you gear if rain is in the forecast.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ok thanks alot for the input guys,,,, might as well man up and go large lol... it's only just over 100 bucks differance,,,,

next question,,,, would it be adviseable to take out the waiver insurance, cdw ldw what ever they call it, basically it means enterprise will waive any fees lost if the car get pranged and had to go in for repair, i know in the past we have always taken the option but it seems like dead money lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    ok thanks alot for the input guys,,,, might as well man up and go large lol... it's only just over 100 bucks differance,,,,

next question,,,, would it be adviseable to take out the waiver insurance, cdw ldw what ever they call it, basically it means enterprise will waive any fees lost if the car get pranged and had to go in for repair, i know in the past we have always taken the option but it seems like dead money lol.
    I don't get their insurance because both my car insurance and my credit card provide coverage for rental vehicles.

If you have some other insurance coverage you are happy with you can decline it, but on a group trip it might be worth it to have their insurance that way as long you register anyone that's driving whatever happens you can walk away without anyone upset about an accident. At least from a cost perspective.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    The F150 will accommodate 5 adults somewhat comfortably. The other two trucks will fit the number of adults listed but it will be a squeeze.
    Regardless of which truck you rent all your gear will have to be stowed in the bed with that many people riding in the truck. This is a concern if the weather isn't great and you would like to keep helmets, shoes, gloves, packs, etc... dry.

And, delirian, I'm still down for a ride(s) if your our schedules work out when you're back in Whistler this time around.
    R.E we will be back on the 8th sept, cols there for 2 weeks, i am there for 3 weeks, so if your free and want to go for a shred then yeah that would be cool. we will be at the same place, bearbackbiking challet (altavista challet) on archibald way, nr alta lake,

im hoping to ride long and hard this time,,, if my back holds up lol... so far it's doing good, my pelvis had twisted, it's now been put back, and is staying in place, i see the oesteopath again in 2 weeks, so far so good, im riding again, am up to 25 miles per day now, nothing technical just canal towpath and cyclepath with a bit of road linking them, im determind to get my fitness up for this trip lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I don't get their insurance because both my car insurance and my credit card provide coverage for rental vehicles.

If you have some other insurance coverage you are happy with you can decline it, but on a group trip it might be worth it to have their insurance that way as long you register anyone that's driving whatever happens you can walk away without anyone upset about an accident. At least from a cost perspective.

yeah thats how we have always looked at it,,,, we usually rent a suv if we go boarding, as my thought process is, if i am driving in snow and icey conditions there's more chance of a crash, so i never wanted to risk it, we always took out full cover,
    i suppose for the sake of 124 quid, it aint worth the risk of getting stung with thousands of dollars worth of repair bills and rental fees lol.
    sods law says if i take it out nothing will happen,,, if i dont then it will lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is just an idea.. Something I've done in the past..

You can buy a bike rack from MEC on Broadway in Vancouver. Put that on a car you rent. Get a the damage waiver. This way if the rack or the bikes scratch the car you don't have to do anything. If you use your own insurance there's usually a $500 deductible. This ends up being cheaper overall than renting a truck.

Whatever you do remember you'll have your bike luggage to deal with. So if it's two of you coming up from the city cool.. More than that, my idea sucks!
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: advice from american/canadian people please,

Just to throw a wrench into your plans...check whether the insurance covers you 'off road' as shuttling in Pemby and/or Squamish may involve getting the tires dirty. Also, check out whether it covers breakdown/recovery, particularly if you break the transmission up Mackenzie FSR....

Theres no luxury AA/RAC type coverage over here...

Another word of warning...a buddy of mine from the UK called up the rental company in Whistler and reserved (or so he thought...) 2 F150s. When he turned up, the company only had one available and gave him a Dodge Caravan instead...but that was a couple of years ago through Avis I think...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne View Post
    Just to throw a wrench into your plans...check whether the insurance covers you 'off road' as shuttling in Pemby and/or Squamish may involve getting the tires dirty. Also, check out whether it covers breakdown/recovery, particularly if you break the transmission up Mackenzie FSR....
    Insurance from rental companies won't cover you off pavement. Your credit card rental insurance might.

I'd ask over the phone because if you ask in person and they note it on the file you may have issues with a claim if your vehicle is uber dusty even if the damage happened in a hotel parking lot.

I take my rental vehicles off pavement a lot, but I drive carefully and assume it will be a major issue if I have a problem on dirt.

It may also be worth a quick car wash before returning the truck if it looks crazy dirty/dusty.

I think you'll find that you'll have the same issues with getting a broken down vehicle sorted if it's on a dirt road. My plan has always been pay for getting it towed to the nearest town out of pocket and then call the rental company.

At some point soon there will be GPS trackers in every rental vehicle because they will be so cheap to install...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    now thats somthing i didnt even think about,,, i know when we went to nz a few years back, we rented a bmw z4 roadster for 5 weeks, that was coverd to drive on unpathed roads lol... we had to give it a nice clean before we returned it lol.